Someone stole my PC!

davve146

I know the title may seem a bit clickbaity, but it is in fact true that my PC was stolen the other day. Or so I think. There was a break in in my house the other day and the window to my room was open. With a 2000$ pc with RGB for days it's definitely stolen.

Therefore I'm posting because I'm wondering if there is any way for me to remotely view my the activity on the pc. An event viewer of sorts. I have checked my Google activity and that seems untouched, however my PC user is not connected to my Microsoft account so I'm not sure if it's possible. 

If there is any way of figuring this out or any other thing I should do please let me know below. Thanks!

Nothing you can do, report it to the police. Are there CCTV cameras near your place? If there is let the police know.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Not really any way to track it. Report it to police and provide them with the details of the parts of the computer and if they stumble upon it they might be able to return it to you. If you have pictures of your computer, include them in your police report if possible as that may help them identify it if it's a non-standard enclosure (ie. anything that isn't stock standard HP/Acer/Dell towers).

Best thing to do would be to keep an eye on local classifieds and facebook buy/swap/sell sites, as well as local pawn shops. Hopefully they take it to a pawn shop instead of selling it privately, as a pawn shop keeps records on the people pawning items, making it easier for police to track the person, and if it is stolen the police confiscate it and will return it to you. If you see it posted for sale on a buy/swap/sell page or on craigslist or whatever, record the details of the post (URL, screenshots, the sellers information) and forward that information to the police ASAP.

It's too late now, but there are small tracking devices that work with a phone sim that will track your devices for you in the event they are stolen, much the same way as "Find my Device" in iOS and Android devices. They're commonly used for motorbikes, but there are smaller sized ones these days that can work with pretty much anything. You may have to speak to your phone provider or other provides to see if they provide service for locator/tracker devices and how much the plans cost or if they can be bundled on to an existing account. Realistically though the cost of the tracker vs the likelihood of your house being broken in to and your computer tower being stolen isn't really worth it. But I just thought I'd mention it as an option.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If you haven't enabled the Win10 feature for it, no. Report it to authorities and contact your insurance company.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you haven't enabled the Win10 feature for it, no. Report it to authorities and contact your insurance company.

who has insurance for a PC?

serious question

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

serious question

I do

Edit:

I actually have insurance for my PC and all my network gear because it's worth a good bit. I think it was like $50 or something for the year to add the rider to the policy.

10 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

any1 that isnt a dumbass would format a pc atleast when stealing it

unless u know mac adress of ur network card u prolly wont get far

MAC address is link local, knowing it does nothing aside identifying a network device connected locally.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

serious question

It should be covered under renter's or maybe even home owner's insurance. All you have to do is provide proof of what you spent...which should be really easy if you bought everything online. Depending on what was stolen and it's value...and your deductible it could be worth filing a claim.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, Razor Blade said:

It should be covered under renter's or maybe even home owner's insurance. All you have to do is provide proof of what you spent...which should be really easy if you bought everything online.

Was about to edit my post but with homeowners insurance you generally get some coverage but if you want full coverage for a specific item, ie. a single computer, then you can add a rider for that item up to ~$10k or $20k (I think the limit varies by company) without needing to provide anything extra to have it added for a few bucks a month. Anything over the limit and you need to have more documents to support it when adding the addition to the policy. Just make sure you have plenty of photos and have receipts backed up somewhere :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Was about to edit my post but with homeowners insurance you generally get some coverage but if you want full coverage for a specific item, ie. a single computer, then you can add a rider for that item up to ~$10k or $20k (I think the limit varies by company) without needing to provide anything extra to have it added for a few bucks a month. Anything over the limit and you need to have more documents to support it when adding the addition to the policy. Just make sure you have plenty of photos and have receipts backed up somewhere :)

Agreed. Depending on the policy it will usually cover items up to a certain value. Over a certain value is when you need a rider so best to check with your insurance agent for sure... If it were me that lost a $2000 PC it would likely not be worth filing a claim with insurance...but if I had something like a $10k workstation or server? yeah it would be worth it for sure.

P.S. I wish I had a $10k workstation....

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Most home insurance should cover things like your computers and other electronics for up to a certain value. (Mine cover everything up to $100k, since I'm just renting)
It's recommended that you take pictures of your items(inside and out) and keep them somewhere safe along with your invoices to prove you actually owned said items prior to getting robbed.

That said, unless you had specifically installed tracking softwares on the computer and that the thief didn't just format the drive, you're SOL.

The only thing you can do is report to the police (if that isn't the first thing you've done, there's something wrong with you) and hope that they catch whoever stole your shit and bring it back to you... Or check the classified ads on sites like graigslist if you see your PC and report to the cops...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

16 hours ago, aezakmi said:

serious question

As said before, that would be covered in home insurance. Sure there are things that lower sum you will get. But $2k build, less than 6mo old will be still at full value as its calculated what buying same stuff new would cost.

My own coverage has €150 limit before insurance company will cover anything. So changing glass on phone is nope, but they did pay 1/3 for repairing laptop I stepped onto.

E: to add. My home insurance has €5k top limit. Thats what I've set myself and it should cover everything if house burns or has other massive damage. Or is robbed fully.

Edited by LoGiCalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Check your modem settings to see if the MAC address has been stored somewhere, mine does.

If you're lucky then Net Neutrality is dead in your area and MAC address' are being forwarded to your ISP (not all do this, for obvious reasons). 

Then you can contact the local police and get permission to contact your local ISPs to do a MAC search, which does the obvious. If you're lucky x2 then they'll contact the ISPs for you, if you're not they'll make you call to do it, make sure to get the name and number of the officer that helps you.

Do not contact your ISPs before contacting the police, they do follow up with them to make sure you've reported it as stolen first (hence getting the officers info). 

Source: My PS3 was stolen years ago (ex tenant kept a copy of the key) and I had a picture of the MAC address, was tracked down to an exact address across town and retrieved by police for me. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

15 hours ago, aezakmi said:

serious question

you dont have insurance for the PC you get it for everything inside your house, its usually the same insurance that also covers fire damages or other elemental damages.

Hang on, you left your window open and someone climbed in? or the left via the window and left it open?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Unless you have a Mac with the Apple iCloud setup, I’d say no. 

Some report showed some iPad theif’s selfie pictures accidentally uploaded to iCloud.