Gaming at 1080p on a 1440p monitor

ziga_smauc
Go to solution Solved by ziga_smauc,
6 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

That GPU will run 1440p nicely. You can turn down AA in 1440p in the majority of games because with such a high resolution, AA is not necessary. You can also turn down things like shadows(low to medium), grass quality(medium), hairworks(OFF) and ambient occlusion(always put on low). Using these settings will have very minimal impact on your graphics, give you a great deal of extra FPS and it will use much less power and usage on your GPU/CPU. Which also means cooler parts.

Turning down the resolution to 1080p is just that, 1080p. There's no issues doing this. It won't look as good as 1440p but it will greatly improve FPS because you are in a lower resolution. If you can afford it($250-$325), I recommend getting a 4k monitor. Then you can turn down settings to 1440p and 1080p for gaming and you'll be able to watch video in 4k. I owned this 4k monitor https://pcpartpicker.com/product/L4nG3C/samsung-monitor-u28e590d for a few weeks and I miss it. Only reason I don't own it now is because I traded it for a 1440p 144Hz monitor. I like both the same to be honest.

Thank you very much, this helps a lot.

So I was thinking about getting a 1440p instead of a 1080p on, but my graphic card is gtx 1060 6gb, and at 1440p you cant play at max settings at 60fps, so I was wondering if you turn down the resolution how would that impact the image and if by doing that, I would see improvement in fps and how much.

You should try to play at your monitor's native resolution. 

Your card might be able to play at it if you go ahead a turn down some settings. 

2 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

Your card might be able to play at it if you go ahead a turn down some settings. 

I know I should be playing on the native resolution, but I am not sure how turning the settings down would impact the image quality

I have both 1080p and 1440p monitor. 1080p game on 1080p monitor looks better than 1080p game on 1440p monitor because there's no up-scaling. however, 1440p game on 1440p monitor is a clear winner. If you wanna get 1440p monitor then you should play it on 1440p. I bet once you try it, you will find it much sharper and you won't wanna turn it down to 1080p. If you worry about in-game fps, then you should lower the setting. Turn off some useless options like super-sampling and MSAA setting should help a lot. image quality won't be much different.

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

8 hours ago, ziga_smauc said:

my graphic card is gtx 1060 6gb

That GPU will run 1440p nicely. You can turn down AA in 1440p in the majority of games because with such a high resolution, AA is not necessary. You can also turn down things like shadows(low to medium), grass quality(medium), hairworks(OFF) and ambient occlusion(always put on low). Using these settings will have very minimal impact on your graphics, give you a great deal of extra FPS and it will use much less power and usage on your GPU/CPU. Which also means cooler parts.

8 hours ago, ziga_smauc said:

if you turn down the resolution how would that impact the image and if by doing that, I would see improvement in fps and how much.

Turning down the resolution to 1080p is just that, 1080p. There's no issues doing this. It won't look as good as 1440p but it will greatly improve FPS because you are in a lower resolution. If you can afford it($250-$325), I recommend getting a 4k monitor. Then you can turn down settings to 1440p and 1080p for gaming and you'll be able to watch video in 4k. I owned this 4k monitor https://pcpartpicker.com/product/L4nG3C/samsung-monitor-u28e590d for a few weeks and I miss it. Only reason I don't own it now is because I traded it for a 1440p 144Hz monitor. I like both the same to be honest.

6 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

• 7 months later...
On 9/4/2018 at 12:04 AM, ziga_smauc said:

My pleasure. I do believe you gave best answer to your own post though. Glad to help out.

• 1 month later...

Here is a comparison: (had I given you a blind test I think you have chosen the wrong image...)

Comparison-1080p-Resolution.png

Safe to say that upscaling 1080p on a 1440p monitor can be done very well.

image.gif

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2019 at 12:59 PM, SiiMii said:

Here is a comparison: (had I given you a blind test I think you have chosen the wrong image...)

Comparison-1080p-Resolution.png

Safe to say that upscaling 1080p on a 1440p monitor can be done very well.

image.gif

How are we supposed to see 1080p upscaled from 1440p on a 1080p monitor?

“Every post deserves a meme„

–Confucius

• 9 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 3:07 PM, Supportsneedlove said:

will playing a game at 1080p damage my 1440p monitor in any way? sorry i know this thread is old but im curious

On 4/25/2019 at 10:14 PM, Paul Rudd said:

My pleasure. I do believe you gave best answer to your own post though. Glad to help out.

will playing a game at 1080p damage my 1440p monitor in any way? sorry i know this thread is old but im curious

6 hours ago, Slidhn said:

Good lord this thread is old, forgot I even posted about this.

Playing a game in 1080p on a 1440p monitor will not damage anything in any way.

One thing I will add to this thread that I discovered over the past few years is that different monitors yield different results in terms of clarity when downscaling from their native resolution. Meaning, one 1440p monitor might downscale near perfectly to 1080p while another 1440p monitor may downscale to 1080p differently resulting in a blurriness or pixelated look to the image.

I'll show you an example that I took screenshots of a while back. It's tough to notice the difference until you zoom in on something...

1014diff.thumb.jpg.59bdfd2a19f5e8e4b84a14c12755d03b.jpg

Forgive the quality of the image, the only way to show you the difference was to use an iPad camera and screenshot my monitor. If you take screenshots it will not show what is shown on the monitor. This is just the way you have to do it.

Can you tell the difference between these two images? If you'll look closely you can, and bare in mind, I'm zoomed way in on the monitor. When you're sitting back and playing the game from afar, it's nearly impossible to spot the differences you see in this image.

The difference can be spotted in the eyes, the mouth and along the outer edges of her entire body. IMO, they're super subtle and don't bother me one bit. In fact, I had to literally look for these differences in order to spot them because over the years of playing games in 1080p on my 1440p monitor, I spotted no difference whatsoever outside of the game being in 1080p and not 1440p.

Now here's the thing, had I did this exact test on another monitor, it could be completely different looking. And what that means is that no two monitors are the same in terms of downscaling and will yield different results when doing so.

Another thing to add here is that you can make any differences go away by simply playing the game at 1080p in windowed mode. But this is really only for the people with the monitors that do NOT do a great job of downscaling. And for these people, they may not like playing a game in windowed mode, at least when first doing so. The trick is to stick with it for a long period of time and over that long period of time you do in fact get used to being in windowed mode. It's worth it when a game is super demanding.

6 hours ago, Slidhn said:

Good lord this thread is old, forgot I even posted about this.

Playing a game in 1080p on a 1440p monitor will not damage anything in any way.

One thing I will add to this thread that I discovered over the past few years is that different monitors yield different results in terms of clarity when downscaling from their native resolution. Meaning, one 1440p monitor might downscale near perfectly to 1080p while another 1440p monitor may downscale to 1080p differently resulting in a blurriness or pixelated look to the image.

I'll show you an example that I took screenshots of a while back. It's tough to notice the difference until you zoom in on something...

1014diff.thumb.jpg.59bdfd2a19f5e8e4b84a14c12755d03b.jpg

Forgive the quality of the image, the only way to show you the difference was to use an iPad camera and screenshot my monitor. If you take screenshots it will not show what is shown on the monitor. This is just the way you have to do it.

Can you tell the difference between these two images? If you'll look closely you can, and bare in mind, I'm zoomed way in on the monitor. When you're sitting back and playing the game from afar, it's nearly impossible to spot the differences you see in this image.

The difference can be spotted in the eyes, the mouth and along the outer edges of her entire body. IMO, they're super subtle and don't bother me one bit. In fact, I had to literally look for these differences in order to spot them because over the years of playing games in 1080p on my 1440p monitor, I spotted no difference whatsoever outside of the game being in 1080p and not 1440p.

Now here's the thing, had I did this exact test on another monitor, it could be completely different looking. And what that means is that no two monitors are the same in terms of downscaling and will yield different results when doing so.

Another thing to add here is that you can make any differences go away by simply playing the game at 1080p in windowed mode. But this is really only for the people with the monitors that do NOT do a great job of downscaling. And for these people, they may not like playing a game in windowed mode, at least when first doing so. The trick is to stick with it for a long period of time and over that long period of time you do in fact get used to being in windowed mode. It's worth it when a game is super demanding.