LAN between Mac OS 9 and Windows 10/High Sierra

kittycannon

Despite my numerous attempts, I have been unable to connect my PowerMac G4 to another computer via ethernet. It worked when running OSX, but now that it's running OS 9 nothing seems to work. I have installed fetch on OS9 to be able to connect to an FTP server but that doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If you're going peer to peer it's a bit complicated, with crossover cables and such. OS9 doesn't have software support for that. (Meaning it will detect this automatically and virtually do crossover)

Just now, The Oddball said:

If you're going peer to peer it's a bit complicated, with crossover cables and such. OS9 doesn't have software support for that. (Meaning it will detect this automatically and virtually do crossover)

I see. Considering I'm just using a direct cable from Windows 10 - OS 9, what are my solutions? 

24 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

I see. Considering I'm just using a direct cable from Windows 10 - OS 9, what are my solutions? 

Use your router.

4 minutes ago, The Oddball said:

Use your router.

Ok, cheers

(edit) My router and PC's are in opposite ends of the house so it's not possible but thanks anyway.)

5 minutes ago, The Oddball said:

Use your router.

Does FTP work with a direct connection or not?

14 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

Does FTP work with a direct connection or not?

If a crossover link cannot be established and if you cannot ping the two interfaces to one another then no file sharing protocols or any other form of communication for that matter will work.

If you have a cheapo little switch and two strait-through cables you could use that to cheat without having a crossover cable or Auto-MDIX capability.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If a crossover link cannot be established and if you cannot ping the two interfaces to one another then no file sharing protocols or any other form of communication for that matter will work.

If you have a cheapo little switch and two strait-through cables you could use that to cheat without having a crossover cable or Auto-MDIX capability.

I'm not the most network savvy person, but I do have a switch that I could try using.

2 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

I'm not the most network savvy person, but I do have a switch that I could try using.

Since you're effectively trying to create a P2P network w/ no router be aware you'll have to configure static addresses on both machines.

If you're already aware of that then you're more network savvy than you give yourself credit for.

56 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Since you're effectively trying to create a P2P network w/ no router be aware you'll have to configure static addresses on both machines.

If you're already aware of that then you're more network savvy than you give yourself credit for.

So I've decided to hook the two computers up to a router, with my windows 10 machine in port 1 and the powermac in port 2. What is the next step, seeing as the powermac doesn't show up on the network but is detected by the router?

1 hour ago, kittycannon said:

So I've decided to hook the two computers up to a router, with my windows 10 machine in port 1 and the powermac in port 2. What is the next step, seeing as the powermac doesn't show up on the network but is detected by the router?

In that scenario its now about finding a protocol that will work for file sharing. Windows won't work with AFP and OS 9 didn't have support for SMB from memory. Especially with Windows 10 using SMB 3 by default. 

FTP is probably still your best bet as far as ease of use. Setup the Windows 10 PC with an FTP Server and connect to it using a mac FTP client. Just make sure you are using the same protocol FTP/SFTP.