Is it okay to eat and build a PC?

UnwantedLinks

When I built my current PC I did it in the morning to get it over with (normally do that with all builds) and throughout all the builds I didn't eat anything because I didn't want any oils to get on a component. And whenever I was finished building any PC's in the morning. I usually skip breakfast (I don't even drink coffee or any liquids), Resulting in my head to hurt. So then I need to take a rest for like 5 hours (Normally Sleep). But my question is.. Can I Eat or Drink during the duration of my PC being Built?

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

It's not okay to eat a PC.

/s

So long as what you're eating doesn't get on or in components, you're fine.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Okay. Thanks

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

I would recommend eating and drinking away from a PC that you are building, such as leaving any glasses of water in the kitchen instead of on the table where you are building. Just so there's no risk of accidentally knocking over and spilling liquid on to any of the parts.

Are you even building a PC if you haven't invited your friends over to help/watch you build it as your friends make jokes about how bad your old PC was while consuming copious amounts of mountain dew and Doritos?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

As long as you're careful and wipe your hands between handling components and eating, I see no problem with it.

Heck, I've eaten while building before. Everything turned out well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Pasta eating on boards on the daily could damage it. 

Spoiler

The pasta I mean. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

well unless you eat with your hands i dont see any reason why you cant.

Whatever you do, Don't use pasta sauce as thermal paste, not speaking from experience.

just as long as the food doesn't interfere with the computer (you touching the components with dirty hands or spilling the food into the PC) it should be fine, so, really as long as the computer doesn't know there's food near by you're fine. 

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

I usually have a cup of tea around me while I am building a PC, so far nothing bad happened.

Can't say the same while I am gaming, had knock off my drinks multiple times and kill the MB of a laptop.

1 minute ago, EPENEX said:

https://answers.yahoo.com/activity/answers?show=KBGWPM7P7AL5BDWAX6H3KBPGQ4

But you might break it if you do it wrong like this guy.

So just keep it only on the IHS, and you should be alright I guess?

Oh but when it dry out you have to replace it, which might be everyday, so not recommended for older PC builder.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:00 AM, 6thOntheLeft said:

throughout all the builds I didn't eat anything because I didn't want any oils to get on a component

You don't need to use oil, butter works just fine. 

Be sure to have some sauce on hand.  Graphics cards tend to taste best with Ketchup, for SSDs I'd recommend mayo. 

Joking aside, I'll typically take a break mid-build to eat, using the opportunity to judge my work and think about cable routing etc.  When done eating I wash my hands and continue.

I usually put half a litre of coke in a glass on my keyboard because i'm not scared of anything

• 2 weeks later...

Just have the food away from the PC and wipe your hands on a towel or something before going back to it.

It would be cool if LTT made a PC out of edible stuff, built it, and then ate it though...

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

I was thinking.. Well I drink coffee and it's fine...

But then I realized I've spilled coffee over almost everything at least once.

also the power supply. yeah it gives power.... but its not worth the trouble. its to tough .

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Oh ok

Main

Eat and drink away from the build area...and the parts area.  Wash your hands with soap and dry them thoroughly before touching parts again (avoid grease, etc.).  Other than that, no big deal.  If you're careful, you can relax that as well.  Big thing is don't contaminate your build with grease, drop food on components, build with extensive moisture on your hands, etc.  Be careful of even water on your hands from touching a cup with condensation.  An overabundance of paranoia and caution will help you build cleanly (and keep you single a very long time, at least in my case).

For a great example of why constructing a delicate item with dirty hands is a bad idea, consult the movie Real Genius starring Val Kilmer (though the example I'm thinking of was deliberate sabotage).

On 8/28/2018 at 9:00 PM, 6thOntheLeft said:

When I built my current PC I did it in the morning to get it over with (normally do that with all builds) and throughout all the builds I didn't eat anything because I didn't want any oils to get on a component. And whenever I was finished building any PC's in the morning. I usually skip breakfast (I don't even drink coffee or any liquids), Resulting in my head to hurt. So then I need to take a rest for like 5 hours (Normally Sleep). But my question is.. Can I Eat or Drink during the duration of my PC being Built?

As long as you're not eating your PC components and building your food, or getting crumbs and other food particles all over everything, there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W