Extreamely Modded Skyrim With M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 Vs SATA SSD ( And Other Games )

Alright, So i have been all over the net with dozens of different search terms and such and i honestly keep seeing people going back and forth and no 100% conclusive info on whether or not M.2 PCIe x4 is or is not faster than a SATA SSD, Specifically regarding a Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD VS a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4.

What i REALLY want to know is does this have ANY type of performance difference, good or bad or none, regarding let's say a 800 mod+ Skyrim with Textures, NPC's The whole shebang.

~{ Xelriel }~

For what it's worth, it makes no difference when running on an SSD rather than HDD in terms of performance, so I don't see why SATA SSD to NVMe would make a difference. 

Load times are painfully slow on HDD, but in game performance should stay the same. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

For what it's worth, it makes no difference when running on an SSD rather than HDD in terms of performance, so I don't see why SATA SSD to NVMe would make a difference. 

Load times are painfully slow on HDD, but in game performance should stay the same. 

Do you happen to have performance comparisons to provide backup to your statement? I only ask because that's more or less the same generic response i have seen all over the net with no proof behind it, i'm not saying your wrong or not right in any way i just want to see the numbers especially with a super modded Skyrim.

~{ Xelriel }~

1 minute ago, xh3x3nx said:

Do you happen to have performance comparisons to provide backup to your statement? I only ask because that's more or less the same generic response i have seen all over the net with no proof behind it, i'm not saying your wrong or not right in any way i just want to see the numbers especially with a super modded Skyrim.

Don't have numbers I'm afraid, just personal experience from when I played Skyrim.. Same build of Skyrim performed exactly the same on HDD and SSD, with the exception of loading times being much faster on the SSD (and fewer crashes). 

Screenshots of the build, for an idea of how modded the game was when I tested/played it:

BZt1rqZ.jpg

qFT5iSX.jpg

qpIvgRy.jpg

9HfKWAi.jpg

It will probably make loading the game faster, as well as loading new areas, entering cities, and stuff like that.

It most likely won't affect your fps, unless your ram is running at 100%.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So GPU and i would assume the higher speed memory the better would be more of the bottleneck at this point? Mainly the higher speed RAM and of course a proper GPU would make all the difference between Frame rate and other performance measures?

~{ Xelriel }~

1 minute ago, xh3x3nx said:

So GPU and i would assume the higher speed memory the better would be more of the bottleneck at this point? Mainly the higher speed RAM and of course a proper GPU would make all the difference between Frame rate and other performance measures?

Pretty much. Though if you're running the non-special edition (is that what it's called?), the engine can just get to the point where the game chugs no matter what hardware is running it. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Pretty much. Though if you're running the non-special edition (is that what it's called?), the engine can just get to the point where the game chugs no matter what hardware is running it. 

Yeah i am running on Newrim and not Oldrim, Much more stable without a lot of editing and such, Alright well time to look into higher frequency RAM and obviously i already knew i need to upgrade from my 1060 6g, Going to grab a 1080 for my wife and i.

~{ Xelriel }~

Just now, xh3x3nx said:

Yeah i am running on Newrim and not Oldrim, Much more stable without a lot of editing and such, Alright well time to look into higher frequency RAM and obviously i already knew i need to upgrade from my 1060 6g, Going to grab a 1080 for my wife and i.

Have fun with it. I still haven't completed Skyrim on PC because I kept modifying it to the point of breaking it, then starting from scratch and doing the same thing once I got bored. 

I got pretty far on my last playthrough as I made a point of only installing immersive and non-game breaking mods and banning myself from using the console. Still, got bored and never finished. 

Actually looked somewhat vanilla Skyrim on my last playthrough:

20171127224751_1.jpg

20171127224806_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Have fun with it. I still haven't completed Skyrim on PC because I kept modifying it to the point of breaking it, then starting from scratch and doing the same thing once I got bored. 

I got pretty far on my last playthrough as I made a point of only installing immersive and non-game breaking mods and banning myself from using the console. Still, got bored and never finished. 

Actually looked somewhat vanilla Skyrim on my last playthrough:

20171127224751_1.jpg

20171127224806_1.jpg

Thanks a bunch for helping out, At least i know what i need to do for both my build as well as my wife's. And try and get through the game at least once before breaking it again :P

~{ Xelriel }~