Translating Linus Tech Tips videos to reach a larger Indian audience

nicklmg

Hey folks,

One of my goals over the next 12 months is making our content more accessible for everyone around the globe. An audience that we feel has been under-served by us in the past is the ever-growing Indian audience on YouTube - and I want to ensure that we rectify that as soon as possible.

Based on our light research it seems like Hindi would be the primary language to look at at this time (though members of the community with more knowledge can feel free to correct me if I have the wrong perception!).

We're obviously exploring talks with professionals in this field, but I'm curious if we may be able to start more of a grass-roots movement... YouTube's capabilities in terms of facilitating community translations has increased greatly over the last few years, and I'm confident that bilingual members of our community could probably do just as well as professionals... The key thing here would be reliability and dependability. There would be compensation available, we'd just have to figure out how that might end up working out.

Anyway... at this time I'm really just interested in starting a conversation around this and learning what options may be available thanks to the amazing nature of this community :) 

5 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

-snip-

but what about other languages :( 
>.> French is not a dead language yet

> For something more, on topic. that sounds like a great idea. hope you find someone.
and do you mean voice-overs or just subtitles ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

but what about other languages :( 
>.> French is not a dead language yet

> For something more, on topic. that sounds like a great idea. hope you find someone.
and do you mean voice-overs or just subtitles ?

I think there's a larger crossover between French speakers & English speakers BUT I could be wrong :P and this is far from the last expansion we'll be making. Just the first really :)

Just subtitles for now :) 

8 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Don't a lot of people in india already speak english? Relatively speaking I guess.
"

125 million people

India now claims to be the world's second-largest English-speaking country. The most reliable estimate is around 10% of its population or 125 million people, second only to the US and expected to quadruple in the next decade.

"

Mandarin should be your primary goal by sheer volume of numbers no?

Sounds like you should just hire an indian tech youtuber or something for the job.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

How much of your audience is coming from india?

And yeah I also heard that a lot of india speaks english now.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, nicklmg said:

I think there's a larger crossover between French speakers & English speakers BUT I could be wrong :P and this is far from the last expansion we'll be making. Just the first really :)

Just subtitles for now :) 

aaah.
but there's so little things in french. it would be nice xD 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, Streetguru said:
India now claims to be the world's second-largest English-speaking country. The most reliable estimate is around 10% of its population or 125 million people, second only to the US and expected to quadruple in the next decade.

if bobs and vegane can be considered english

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

maybe you should open up community subtitles  

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Don't a lot of people in india already speak english? Relatively speaking I guess.
"

125 million people

"

Mandarin should be your primary goal by sheer volume of numbers no?

Sounds like you should just hire an indian tech youtuber or something for the job.

We already have a team that subtitles our videos in Chinese :) they release to Chinese sites.

While it's true that there are MANY people in India that speak English, 125 million is still a relatively limited percentage of India's total population. A 2001 census said that 550 million people in India spoke Hindi as their first, second, or third language. So if we're able to triple (or more) our impact within that country that would be a pretty massive thing.

1 minute ago, Matty2048 said:

maybe you should open up community subtitles  

They are open, but I don't see a ton of Hindi subtitles happening within that tab naturally. This is one aspect of the plan :) 

Just now, nicklmg said:

They are open, but I don't see a ton of Hindi subtitles happening within that tab naturally. This is one aspect of the plan :) 

maybe having incentives for doing it but idk

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

I agree on the French part. I'm myself native, and a few of my friends are able to watch videos fairly easily by trying a bit, it is true that French content is in limited quantity, but people here just get used to learning enough English to understand the videos they're watching anyway. So reaching out to other audiences instead wouldn't be a bad idea.

In fact, @nicklmg, if you need French translators, I'm down for that, I'm bilingual, if that's something you need.

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

1 minute ago, O-T said:

I agree on the French part. I'm myself native, and a few of my friends are able to watch videos fairly easily by trying a bit, it is true that French content is in limited quantity, but people here just get used to learning enough English to understand the videos they're watching anyway.

In fact, @nicklmg, if you need French translators, I'm down for that, I'm bilingual, if that's something you need.

Appreciate that offer :)

I think this is the link to create community subs http://www.youtube.com/timedtext_cs_panel?tab=2&c=UCXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw - at this time we're not looking to incentivize French subs, but if you're interested please feel free to contribute!

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Appreciate that offer :)

I think this is the link to create community subs http://www.youtube.com/timedtext_cs_panel?tab=2&c=UCXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw - at this time we're not looking to incentivize French subs, but if you're interested please feel free to contribute!

I have a lot of spare time to kill, so I'll be sure to contribute pretty much as much as I can! I was actually not sure if this channel enabled the community subtitle contribution ability or not, so hadn't really bothered looking into that, now I will :) Won't hurt to have French translations too, haha!

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.