Microsoft no Longer accept new app submissions to the Windows 8/8.1 Store

AlTech
6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Your opinion is not fact

There are no new app submissions allowed, and the store's catalogue is still lack luster. It really is dead.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Doesn't surprise me that Microsoft does this move. Windows 8 wasn't bad when it came to like performance and what not, it was just the design that just kept people from having the OS and just stayed with either Windows 7 or when Windows 10 came upgraded to that instead. Apparently now only 0.33 % of Steam users still use the OS. (For whatever reason 8.1 is at 0.07%). So in other words, it's another procedure of putting the OS to rest. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

13 hours ago, Sauron said:

(was it popular answer):Indeed it wasn't, although its numbers got better once 8.1 came out and made it somewhat usable.

How much does that expansion have to do with people liking and adopting the OS and it being forced upon the peasant people with it being preloaded over a certain period of time on all OEM machines? I've always wondered that. Windows 10 is the most popular... Really? Those who run Linux choose to do so. I haven't found a laptop or desktop that comes from Dell or HP with Linux on it. (Consumer grade specifically)

Well makes sense. No point dragging and supporting something older that has no use much anyway. 

It's like how I still tend to see games with DX10/11 being made, like y u do dis?! DOOM, Quake Champions (soon), Wolf, Rise, etc. All Vulkan and even WoW got DX12 with new BfA exp. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

How much does that expansion have to do with people liking and adopting the OS and it being forced upon the peasant people with it being preloaded over a certain period of time on all OEM machines? I've always wondered that. Windows 10 is the most popular... Really? Those who run Linux choose to do so. I haven't found a laptop or desktop that comes from Dell or HP with Linux on it. (Consumer grade specifically)

Eh, when windows 8 was a thing it was common for manufacturers to give the option of having windows 7 preinstalled. Many stores also offered the "downgrade" service because there was a large demand for it (just like the vista days). Windows 10 on the other hand seems to have some staying power on prebuilts. Part of the reason Windows 7 is still so popular is that 8 was a failure.

As for linux, absolutely - microsoft has worked for decades to ensure your local store only sells windows prebuilts. They do exist though, and dell does sell their XPS laptops with ubuntu preinstalled iirc.

7 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well makes sense. No point dragging and supporting something older that has no use much anyway. 

It's like how I still tend to see games with DX10/11 being made, like y u do dis?! DOOM, Quake Champions (soon), Wolf, Rise, etc. All Vulkan and even WoW got DX12 with new BfA exp. 

To be fair, none of those were coming to the windows 8 app store anyway...

11 hours ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Windows 8 wasn't bad when it came to like performance and what not, it was just the design that just kept people from having the OS and just stayed with either Windows 7 or when Windows 10 came upgraded to that instead.

Yep, performance means nothing when you can't use it efficiently. Crappy UX design will destroy a product. I used 8.1 for a few months, while I waited for 10 to come out, because I had to reinstall my OS and couldn't find my windows 7 copy - it was fine, but only after I installed a few utilities that made the UI usable.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

To be fair, none of those were coming to the windows 8 app store anyway...

Yeah true. I did bit off topic but just wanted to add that any API older than DX12 and Vulkan should just die off. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah true. I did bit off topic but just wanted to add that any API older than DX12 and Vulkan should just die off. 

I would argue DX12 should also die off, Vulkan does the same things and is platform agnostic.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I would argue DX12 should also die off, Vulkan does the same things and is platform agnostic.

Yeah I know. I meant it at least DX12 and not older ones for games though. Vulkan is great and would be nice all games start support it.

I was waiting for years for WoW to transition to DX12 in this case and now it's here. 

On 8/24/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

Windows 8 should have been put out of it's misery on day one of release.

Edit: I do find it very weird today Windows is killing off everything to push users into Windows 10. No more choices? That part is kinda irritating. I don't really understand that part. Granted there's still plenty of time for support.

But I don't think Windows 8 was ever really that popular was it?

I actually really liked Windows 8. The Start Menu was pretty cool back in the day, and the Developer Preview was very exciting to use.

So I am unsure why the Store wasn’t just merged with Windows 10, is it not the same store? 

13 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I actually really liked Windows 8. The Start Menu was pretty cool back in the day, and the Developer Preview was very exciting to use.

So I am unsure why the Store wasn’t just merged with Windows 10, is it not the same store? 

It's not the same Store, and Windows 8 can't run UWP apps or UWP packaged desktop apps (this is to allow desktop apps to be able to take advantage of push notification feature, live tiles, store system, and update system of the Store, and not have to rely on a self made and hosted solution which makes would make people have another background process on the their system to check for updates for that specific app.This is also why I like getting desktop apps from there. Paint.Net. iTunes (on system I install for people who needs it, and I Apple updater is god awful, so glad to use something else), VLC, Spotify and Slack. Actually that is the main selling point for me to use the Store, but anyway.

17 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's not the same Store, and Windows 8 can't run UWP apps or UWP packaged desktop apps (this is to allow desktop apps to be able to take advantage of push notification feature, live tiles, store system of the Store, and update system of the Store, and not have to rely on a self made and hosted solution, and have people another background process on the user system to check for updates, it allows the user to have only 1, the Store, which is also why I like getting desktop apps from there. Paint.Net. iTunes (on system I install for people who needs it), VLC, Spotify and Slack. Actually that is the main selling point for me to use the Store, but anyway.

It just seems weird they didn't just merge the stores when they updated to 10. Doesn't make good sense if they are pushing for a larger store. 

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It just seems weird they didn't just merge the stores when they updated to 10. Doesn't make good sense if they are pushing for a larger store. 

I think Microsoft is done with Windows 8 with its very poor sales number. It is clear that Microsoft was no longer interested in spending a single penny on it (beside security updates as it has too).

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think Microsoft is done with Windows 8 with its very poor sales number. It is clear that Microsoft was no longer interested in spending a single penny on it (beside security updates as it has too).

I should think Windows 8 sales are the least of Microsoft’s worries.  Their Windows 10 strategy is not working well at all - I still prefer 8.1 by a long shot.

15 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Their Windows 10 strategy is not working well at all

What do you mean? It's not like you have a choice, eventually you'll have to upgrade if you want to continue using windows.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

49 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What do you mean? It's not like you have a choice, eventually you'll have to upgrade if you want to continue using windows.

Only if developers move exclusively to the Windows 10 store...which doesn't seem likely.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

45 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Only if developers move exclusively to the Windows 10 store...which doesn't seem likely.

It will never be exclusive until Windows 7 had market shares. But developers are, at least it is a first step, making their desktop app on it. VLC seems to be the most enthusiastic of MS recent OS's. With a native true VLC UWP app (although doesn't match in parity to the desktop version, but has the core feature video and audio playback, and adds a library system), they even ported their desktop version to ARM64 fully featured. While it is nice for VLC, of course we need a lot more developers. And Developer excitement is something that Microsoft needs to work on. Yes it is nice the price reduction of their Store, making it very competitive, that they have very recently, devs are still not jumping ship. Of course, when I say devs, this is more companies, as I am sure you can have some devs interested, but in the end, upper managers go "Sure, just right me a full business case that justifies the expense, and we will consider", so things don't move. But if Windows 7 is out, and Windows 10 is the most used OS by considerable margins, then yes sure. You can put: save server costs in publishing app updates, you can put the whole download/purchase tracking report system/platform for managers and sales department to better track their users base and better cater their product to consumers, they can add not having to make/maintain an update system. That is a more interesting business case, and with dev pressure, it can happen. But the problem is, again, Windows 7. Because of it, companies that choose to have something on the store means 2 products to maintain.

10 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

When (not if) Windows 7 and 8.1 support ends, you'll have to upgrade or give up your computer's security completely. Eventually newer hardware will not work properly with them.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It will never be exclusive until Windows 7 had market shares. But developers are, at least it is a first step, making their desktop app on it. VLC seems to be the most enthusiastic of MS recent OS's. With a native true VLC UWP app (although doesn't match in parity to the desktop version, but has the core feature video and audio playback, and adds a library system), they even ported their desktop version to ARM64 fully featured. While it is nice for VLC, of course we need a lot more developers. And Developer excitement is something that Microsoft needs to work on. Yes it is nice the price reduction of their Store, making it very competitive, that they have very recently, devs are still not jumping ship. Of course, when I say devs, this is more companies, as I am sure you can have some devs interested, but in the end, upper managers go "Sure, just right me a full business case that justifies the expense, and we will consider", so things don't move. But if Windows 7 is out, and Windows 10 is the most used OS by considerable margins, then yes sure. You can put: save server costs in publishing app updates, you can put the whole download/purchase tracking report system/platform for managers and sales department to better track their users base and better cater their product to consumers, they can add not having to make/maintain an update system. That is a more interesting business case, and with dev pressure, it can happen. But the problem is, again, Windows 7. Because of it, companies that choose to have something on the store means 2 products to maintain.

I still think UWP is terrible in its current state, it's stubbornly designed with touch screens in mind and it binds your programs to your microsoft account. Maybe it will gain traction, but quite frankly I hope it doesn't and they are forced to redesign it with more consideration for their users.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*