Life of Boris made a video where he assembled new water cooling system, but instead of using casual coolant he decided to try vodka instead.

I was wondering if it actually helps cool the cpu or gpu?

I believe that this would be a good idea for a video.

Change my mind if you dare!

Well, there's already a video. Boris showed that it works short term. If you want more water cooling coverage, JayzTwoCents is the guy to talk to, not LTT.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I'd really like Linus to wrap his head around this. :/

If you liked the Vodka cooled PC video and want to see more similar videos, then I'd recommend checking out JayzTwoCents video where he cooled a PC using beer.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Beer and vodka have a really big difference.

I skipped through that video yesterday - did he really use vodka as a coolant? To me it looked like he simply modded the pump/res combo to use the bottle as a bigger reservoir. Did he top the loop off with vodka on camera at some point?

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

3 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

I skipped through that video yesterday - did he really use vodka as a coolant? To me it looked like he simply modded the pump/res combo to use the bottle as a bigger reservoir. Did he top the loop off with vodka on camera at some point?

Nope, by the looks of the video he uses distilled water.

2 minutes ago, TecaFondo said:

Well if he used distilled water, then someone needs to try it with vodka.

Rip wrong quote

Edited by r3troll

11 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Actually there is a proof at 17:58.

5 minutes ago, r3troll said:

Well if he used distilled water, then someone needs to try it with vodka.

Jays2Cents is your guy for that. The only way LTT would do it is if you gave them like ten different "alternative coolants" like orange juice or something. They wont make a "one off" video like that

Edit: If this post doesnt scream Russia, I dont know what does

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Jays2Cents is your guy for that. The only way LTT would do it is if you gave them like ten different "aternative coolants" like orange juice or something. They wont make a "one off" video like that

Who said that it "has to be a" one-off video?

Wouldn't oil make the most sense? It has a higher heat carrying capacity? Maybe won't flow well?

1 minute ago, r3troll said:

Who said that it "has to be a" one-off video?

Your implication was that Linus should try a single fluid. You made no mention of "a specific fluid in a series of tests determining possible alternatives to distilled water"

2 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

Wouldn't oil make the most sense? It has a higher heat carrying capacity? Maybe won't flow well?

It would have to be something like ow-20 or 5w-20, I think oil might be too thick for water pumps, but I'd still be interested in something like this

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Your implication was that Linus should try a single fluid. You made no mention of "a specific fluid in a series of tests determining possible alternatives to distilled water"

It would have to be something like ow-20 or 5w-20, I think oil might be too thick for water pumps, but I'd still be interested in something like this

Well, maybe I'll leave you with your inferences, and focus the conversation more on the actual possible benefit of using vodka or say any alcohol in general.

Just now, r3troll said:

Well, maybe I'll leave you with your inferences, and focus the conversation more on the actual possible benefit of using vodka or say any alcohol in general.

I fell the main issue with an alcohol based coolant would be vaporization and low boiling point. Many fluids can get above 40ºC under continuous loads, and while I cant really claim to be familiar with ANY alcoholic beverage, I would feel contact with a hot plate would cause a majority alcohol based drink to evaporate, reducing effective heat transfer. This is only one mans hypothesis 

1 minute ago, r3troll said:

Okay, I just did some research, using vodka would not benefit your system cooling. The heat conductivity and capacitance of ethanol is much lower when comparing to water.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I fell the main issue with an alcohol based coolant would be vaporization and low boiling point. Many fluids can get above 40ºC under continuous loads, and while I cant really claim to be familiar with ANY alcoholic beverage, I would feel contact with a hot plate would cause a majority alcohol based drink to evaporate, reducing effective heat transfer. This is only one mans hypothesis 

To make clear, I did not mean alcoholic beverages, but alcohols in general. Like methanol, and propanol for example.

2 hours ago, r3troll said:

To make clear, I did not mean alcoholic beverages, but alcohols in general. Like methanol, and propanol for example.

Yeah due to their low boiling points they wouldn't make good coolant. 

Oil might be interesting, but honestly if anything I would imagine oil would be a terrible coolant for PC's because they're usually design for automotive applications where temps are way higher, and so they might not respond well to transferring heat of components at only 185ºF (85ish C) when that's usually the temperature of the oil in an automotive application! 

I'm not sure what else you'd test beyond that. 

2 hours ago, Speakerator said:

He did use vodka.

2 hours ago, TecaFondo said:

He used that to test the loop to make sure it wouldn't leak since he didn't want to waste the vodka.

Later in the video, he does in fact use vodka.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, TecaFondo said:

2 hours ago, Speakerator said:

He uses distilled water and EK coolant concentrate for the first test run but it's actually filled with vodka now. He got pretty good temps too...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Yeah due to their low boiling points they wouldn't make good coolant. 

Oil might be interesting, but honestly if anything I would imagine oil would be a terrible coolant for PC's because they're usually design for automotive applications where temps are way higher, and so they might not respond well to transferring heat of components at only 185ºF (85ish C) when that's usually the temperature of the oil in an automotive application! 

I'm not sure what else you'd test beyond that. 

I think there would be some results when increasing the pressure in the loop, which makes the boiling point rise. Though ethanol wouldn't be the choice for that either and I don't think that those loops are designed to take a huge amount of pressure.