New LTT Branding

yolosnail

Do you like it  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Indifferent

I say this, with the red more torwards the middle. and a redder red ?
(this one kinda looks a bit weird on uncalibrated screens imo.
(ik ik, people should have calibrated screens. but they don't xD 
image.png.9ecf1115adced9d02769786660dd05e1.png

its like. too much of a middle ground for the little ammount there is.
not quite red, and not quite pink/orange.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

7 hours ago, Edzel Yago said:

What about these?

I still don't like the purple.

The purple colour has featured in all of the proposed/current logos so far, so is there a particular reason why LTT is choosing to go with the purple in their colour scheme now? AFAIK it has never been featured in any of LTTs branding before, so it seems foreign and out of place to me in what has otherwise been a distinctive colour scheme for the age of the channel. Knowing the motivation behind adding it to the colour scheme may help win me over (but I doubt it). Would be interesting to know 'why purple?' regardless.

As for the mesh on the logos, I actually don't mind it. It reminds me of the mesh on the fan grill of computer cases. I can understand why others don't like it, though, and sometimes less is more.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I still don't like the purple.

The purple colour has featured in all of the proposed/current logos so far, so is there a particular reason why LTT is choosing to go with the purple in their colour scheme now? AFAIK it has never been featured in any of LTTs branding before, so it seems foreign and out of place to me in what has otherwise been a distinctive colour scheme for the age of the channel. Knowing the motivation behind adding it to the colour scheme may help win me over (but I doubt it). Would be interesting to know 'why purple?' regardless.

As for the mesh on the logos, I actually don't mind it. It reminds me of the mesh on the fan grill of computer cases. I can understand why others don't like it, though, and sometimes less is more.

Because of the color wheel and how it works.

You see the purple they're using is a complementary color to the yellow they're using.
Since they're using divided complimentary colors (Blue with both orange and yellow devided complimentary) 
It allows them to use the Purple too (as a complimentary of the yellow)

Note : Complimentary is the color directly opposite of one on the color wheel
devided complimentary (or split I guess, dunno the names in En) is the ones on each side of said opposite color on the wheel : 
image.png.7f8f72fb55f84ed34e105a7473d4532f.png

Image Refference : 

Spoiler

2018-08-27.png

more or less.
Its a bit of a cheat. but we can get away with it because twice the same color is matched. but its iffy a bit.
The blending with the generally orange color helps it a lot.

You can also match by warm/cold colors. and if you look. the blue is kind of.. random in that respect.
At least the purple/pink is more of a warmer one. whatfor it being transparent.

If the blue was warmer (but then again, Warm blue ??) it could fit better.
also. Purple is kind of rarely a good choice.
Im an exeption. but who tf likes purple ???
For others reading : that's a pretty general rule. don't say you like it because you "wanna be different".. I'll know.

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Because of the color wheel and how it works.
You see the purple they're using is a complementary color to the yellow they're using.

That doesn't really answer my question.
By that logic, Coca Cola should change their logo from being their distinctive solid red background to being a blend of red, aqua and light green.

Linus has discussed previously the reason for the orange in the logo was because he had his favourite bright orange handled screwdriver that he used in a lot of the videos, that was often commented on by the audience, and someone (one of his former NCIX co-workers/bosses??) suggested he use that distinctive colour for his logo since it is recognisable to the audience and they will associate the colour with LTT. (Or something along those lines, I'd have to find the old WAN show(?) where he discusses it but there's too many 1hour long videos to look through to be worth finding)

I'm curious to know if there's a story or reason behind the addition of the purple colour to the logo that represents the channel - beyond just a colour wheel dictating which colours to pair with each other.

If the only reason they're adding it is because a textbook in colour design or popular colours of 2018 told them to add it, I think it's a pretty poor choice and doesn't accurately reflect the brand of the channel in a meaningful and identifiable way.

Spoiler

But of course that's just my opinion...

Spoiler

image.png.98facbd05c9108b8ea9ff49449673937.png

I do appreciate the time you took to explain contradictory colours, however it's not what I am asking. My question can only be answered by the staff at LMG who made the decision to include the colour in their new logo, and I'm sure it's something that they did put a lot of thought in to. Probably should have tagged them in my original question, but it's obvious they're already monitoring the thread and engaging with the feedback so I trust they will see it without needing to spam them with notifications.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

-snip-

Well. you kind of asked why
my answer was both an explanation of why I thought they would do this (add variety to the logo, rather than a single color. (not bad by itself. but experimentation ya know)
I
> and also kind of me telling Ed what was odd about those colors.

but anyways. yes. no one but the staff can truly answer your question here.

On 8/28/2018 at 3:17 AM, Edzel Yago said:

What about these?

2018-08-27.png

No. I'd rather see Linus use his Steve Jobs pose photo than see this abomination as if it was made by a kindergarten with orange and white crayons. ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

A suggestion if I may. First off, the new logo, the "Tide" one as Edzel coined looks much much better than the first go. I don't really know why this iteration took place in the public eye and not as an internal project, but to each their own I suppose. The main advice I want to give is in regards to the banner. I really dislike that typeface. My suggestions for different typefaces that give off a cleaner look would be Europa Bold, Gibson, Halyard Display, Motiva Sans, Museo Sans, Proxima Nova, and Runda, all of which with a 210pt tracking increase. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise, great work on improving the first revision of the logo!