Video Request: Server building basics

john01dav

Hello,

I would like to suggest a video topic for this channel to make (and to simultaneously ask if such a video already exists elsewhere): a video explaining how servers are built. As I understand it, the basic components (motherboard, cpu, ram, psu, gpu (if needed, often unnecessary), etc.) are similar along with similar interfaces to connect them (ie. I am fairy sure that servers also generally use pcie, sata, and nvme). But, I also know of some differences such as specific sizes for rack mount servers (ie. 1U, 2U), with different PSUs for each size. Looking around on Amazon, I am also not seeing any xU PSUs made by brands I recognize, and they also all seem to be sub 500W. How can someone looking to build a server pick a PSU, given this information? Additionally, how are things mounted inside the case? The pictures on amazon almost entirely lack any recognizable drive bays, motherboard backplanes, PSU cages, etc. I would really like to see a video that goes over this information, with the intended audience being someone who already knows a fair bit about building desktop computers. Essentially, I want a server version of those basic "How to build a computer" videos.

People generally don't "build" servers. You buy either a barebones server from HPE/Lenovo/Dell or you preconfigure it and get it delivered to your doorstep. There's not much to be saved money wise by going custom. And you get worse support in the process.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

People generally don't "build" servers. You buy either a barebones server from HPE/Lenovo/Dell or you preconfigure it and get it delivered to your doorstep. There's not much to be saved money wise by going custom. And you get worse support in the process.

^

Also finding actual server parts for sell on website such as amazon is quite hard but there is plenty of second hand though on  ebay etc plus most of these part don't have proper marketing/information and fancy product pictures.

Magical Pineapples

For more server/enterprise oriented videos I'd suggest taking a look at Level1Techs.

But yeah, you can technically build a server from any compatible PC parts, the 'server' is really the software OS that goes on it whether that's Linux, Windows or some other UNix variant.

Server grade hardware is generally a bit harder to obtain because it's normally sold to system integrators but you might be able to pick up some stuff from the likes of SuperMicro as they make a lot of server grade hardware. Buying new, assuming you can find a supplier, will be considerably more expensive than the nearest equivalent consumer grade hardware. As EMC says above though you can find a lot of used server hardware on eBay but it'll probably be at least a generation or so behind current consumer stuff as enterprise customers tend to hold onto their hardware for a specific period of time (to achieve ROI on it).

If you want an idea of server components go and have a look at the SuperMicro website - they produce everything from the chassis to the power supply, motherboards and add-in cards right up to complete systems. Whether you can find anywhere to sell to you directly is a different question though.

I really dont think this is Linus's thing.

Also, you typically get prebuilts or piece together a barebone unit with what components you need, or in larger deployments get some kind of contract with a company that includes your options all built out for you and a service agreement for faulty parts or sometimes the whole RU. 
In large deployments, mostly you'll really only see custom built servers for specialty applications, like GPU based processing, but now that Big Data Deep Learning with AI Pizza Rolls on the Block Chain is a popular thing, you see a lot more prebuilt options for that as well. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Technically any old computer can be used as a server so it'd be pointless.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

5 minutes ago, xriqn said:

A coworker still uses a 286 as a print server, so yeah :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

A coworker still uses a 286 as a print server, so yeah :P 

I've ran an old core 2 duo machine as a full on game server before.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

3 minutes ago, xriqn said:

I've ran an old core 2 duo machine as a full on game server before.

Same. I ran a minecraft beta server on a mac mini G4 lol.

Same. I ran a minecraft beta server on a mac mini G4 lol.

The game server I ran on my core 2 duo machine was a spigot 1.12.2 server with 73 plugins. Exact specs were 4GB DDR2 800, Core 2 Duo E8400, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint HDD and Ubuntu 16.04 (not server variant) x64.

On 8/21/2018 at 2:49 AM, NelizMastr said:

Does this mean that there aren't, for example, standardized motherboard screw locations and other specifications to ensure that separately bought parts are compatible? What if I buy a pre-built server and one of the parts fails out of warranty? Does this mean I can't get replacement parts, and/or that they pull that shit laptop manufacturers do where everything is soldered together? If I have a 1U case, is there no way to find a motherboard, PSU, etc. that will fit in it without modification?

On 8/21/2018 at 3:52 AM, davrosG5 said:

Server grade hardware is generally a bit harder to obtain because it's normally sold to system integrators but you might be able to pick up some stuff from the likes of SuperMicro as they make a lot of server grade hardware. Buying new, assuming you can find a supplier, will be considerably more expensive than the nearest equivalent consumer grade hardware. As EMC says above though you can find a lot of used server hardware on eBay but it'll probably be at least a generation or so behind current consumer stuff as enterprise customers tend to hold onto their hardware for a specific period of time (to achieve ROI on it).

You mention that server grade hardware is a lot harder to find, but is it even necessary to find it? The only differentiation that Intel seems to have between its server grade and consumer grade hardware is ECC support, more cores, and lower clock speeds. One can get all of these by just buying a ryzen (or threadripper, for more power). Are AMD's ryzen/threadripper CPUs somehow worse than Xeons? What about if their epyc CPUs are taken into account (readily available here)? I know ECC ram is readily available, as PCPartPicker lists a ton of it. A little bit of searching seems to come up with enterprise grade SSDs and HDDs. Combined, that is basically the whole computer.

22 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I really dont think this is Linus's thing.

He seems to constantly be building servers for that under-the-stair server closet. Presumably, putting together a (set of) video(s) on that woulden't be too hard.

21 hours ago, xriqn said:

That's true, and my home server that my ISP keeps throttling is made using consumer parts (but is still distinct due to the complete lack of a GPU), but I imagine colocation facilities would get pissy if I tried to put anything other than a rack mount in a hypothetical rack I may rent in the future.

4 minutes ago, john01dav said:

Does this mean that there aren't, for example, standardized motherboard screw locations and other specifications to ensure that separately bought parts are compatible? What if I buy a pre-built server and one of the parts fails out of warranty? 

You buy them from the manufacturer. The difference between computers and servers is that servers have a supply of replacement parts for at least 5 years (sometimes up to 10 years) and you can buy them directly from the manufacturer. They're non-standard typically so don't bother putting in components that aren't verified as compatible.

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You buy them from the manufacturer. The difference between computers and servers is that servers have a supply of replacement parts for at least 5 years (sometimes up to 10 years) and you can buy them directly from the manufacturer. They're non-standard typically so don't bother putting in components that aren't verified as compatible.

If I am interested in more standard server parts, where can I find those? What if I want a server where I can start with an AMD cpu and then, later, switch it for an Intel CPU without replacing everything (ie. only replacing the motherboard and CPU). Also, what are the relevant standards (ie. what is the server equivalent of ATX)? Knowing this information is essential if I want to rackmount consumer grade hardware, which is often sufficient for many server tasks.

3 minutes ago, john01dav said:

If I am interested in more standard server parts, where can I find those? What if I want a server where I can start with an AMD cpu and then, later, switch it for an Intel CPU without replacing everything (ie. only replacing the motherboard and CPU). Also, what are the relevant standards (ie. what is the server equivalent of ATX)? Knowing this information is essential if I want to rackmount consumer grade hardware, which is often sufficient for many server tasks.

If you want consumer grade rackmount stuff, the standard is still ATX. The only issue is that 1U is a tad more difficult and will rely on proprietary PSUs for that particular case (this differs from case to case, pun intended). Look at Norco, Supermicro and iStar USA for ATX compliant rackmount cases. 

If you want fully standard ATX, 2U and 4U are the way to go.

If you want consumer grade rackmount stuff, the standard is still ATX. The only issue is that 1U is a tad more difficult and will rely on proprietary PSUs for that particular case (this differs from case to case, pun intended). Look at Norco, Supermicro and iStar USA for ATX compliant rackmount cases. 

If you want fully standard ATX, 2U and 4U are the way to go.

Will the ATX compliant rackmount cases be marked as such, and, aside from the PSU, still be fully ATX (ie. standard PCIe cards, standard IO shield dimensions, motherboard standoffs)? How does one go about getting a compatible PSU? Will it come with the case? Will any 2/4U case allow a standard ATX power supply, motherboard, io shield, PCIe card, etc.? I am mainly wanting to go for 1U because it looks like all of the colocation providers charge per U, until you get up to renting a full cabinet.

4 minutes ago, john01dav said:

Will the ATX compliant rackmount cases be marked as such, and, aside from the PSU, still be fully ATX (ie. standard PCIe cards, standard IO shield dimensions, motherboard standoffs)? How does one go about getting a compatible PSU? Will it come with the case? Will any 2/4U case allow a standard ATX power supply, motherboard, io shield, PCIe card, etc.? I am mainly wanting to go for 1U because it looks like all of the colocation providers charge per U, until you get up to renting a full cabinet.

Perhaps something like this?

https://www.logic-case.com/products/rackmount-chassis/1u/rack-mountable-server-chassis-case-1u-400mm-short-depth-for-atx-mb-sc-13400/

You can fit a flexATX PSU and ATX mobo. Expansion cards in 1U cases aren't much of a thing aside from maybe a NIC.

3 hours ago, john01dav said:

You mention that server grade hardware is a lot harder to find, but is it even necessary to find it? The only differentiation that Intel seems to have between its server grade and consumer grade hardware is ECC support, more cores, and lower clock speeds. One can get all of these by just buying a ryzen (or threadripper, for more power). Are AMD's ryzen/threadripper CPUs somehow worse than Xeons? What about if their epyc CPUs are taken into account (readily available here)? I know ECC ram is readily available, as PCPartPicker lists a ton of it. A little bit of searching seems to come up with enterprise grade SSDs and HDDs. Combined, that is basically the whole computer.

The AMD equivalent for Intels Xeon is, as you say, the Epyc lineup. The main difference you will find between the higher end Xeon/Epyc cpu's and the Core/Ryzen/Threadripper lines is support for multi-socket operation - so the maximum number of physical Core/Ryzen/Threadripper chips you can have per motherboard is one but with Xeon Scaleable and Epyc its 2 or more depending on the SKU.

One the CPU front, these days the server parts are often optimised more for things like virtualisation which is one reason they tend to also support higher RAM ceilings than the more consumer grade parts. Server parts will also typically offer a greater deal of PCIe connectivity than the consumer parts, for example Intels HEDT parts top out at 44 PCIe lanes, but the Xeon Scaleable allows 48 (and you can have 2 cpu's so your system supports 96 lanes). Threadripper allows 64 PCIe lanes (4 reserved for the chipset or something IIRC) whereas a dual Epyc board will give you 128 lanes.

The other oft given justification for the higher price of server gear is that it's built to a higher standard in terms of longevity - servers are generally expected to operate 24/7 for extended periods of time and also in generally hotter conditions than consumer grade stuff. It'll also often be warranted to be able to run under those conditions for a longer period of time than the equivalent consumer hardware.

As for storage, enterprise SSD's and HDD's are optimised for typical server workloads so have somewhat different performance characteristics than consumer gear. They may also come with SAS, rather than SATA or NVMe connectors which currently tops out at 12GB/s transfer rate compared with 6 GB/s for SATA. IN addition, they'll typically also be intended for use in much larger sized arrays than consumer NAS type drives for example - consumer NAS drives are typically recommended for anywhere up to 8 - 16 drives max int he array whereas you could have a storage server with 20+ drives (which incidentally is interesting given Seagate provided Linus with what looked like IronWolf Pro drives for his Storinator/Petabyte project IIRC)

The server equivalents of things like ATX are the SSI CEB and EEB form-factors. They're similar in size to ATX but have the mounting holes in slightly different locations. You're also more likely to see proprietary shaped motherboards to fit specific chassis - you get some interesting L-shaped mobo's for some types of server for example.

Server power supplies often are intended for hot-swap-capable operation - so you'd have dual PSU's in the case, either of which is capable of carrying the full load of the server. If one fails you can pull it and slot in a replacement without having to shut down the server. PSU's for rack servers tend to be long and thin rather than conforming to the more traditional PSU layout you get for consumer or even workstation computers.

In summary, whether you'd really see any genuine benefit from actual server grade hardware depends entirely on what it is you want to do with the server and to an extent what case/form factor you use and where it will be located (for example is it going to be a Tower or a Rackmount case?). If you go with rackmount stuff then it's typically much louder than consumer grade hardware because it's expected to operate with more restricted airflow (so the fans need to run at higher rpm's to deliver the necessary cooling).

Otherwise, building a server will be very much like building any other PC, it's just that the parts tend to be more expensive and things don't necessarily screw in/attach in the same places you'd expect in consumer PC.