My boyfriend left his 1080ti on the floor. Should he be allowed to use a PC?

My boyfriend left his GTX 1080 Ti on the floor while he was testing another GPU.

Do you think he should be allowed to use a PC? xD

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

the PCB isn't touching the carpet anyways so it isn't much of an issue. but i wouldn't recommend it anyways.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Of course, I used my 980 Ti as a coaster for a few days. Hell, if I had a Team Red I'd use it as a tea warmer. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Trick question, should you be allowed to use your boyfriend after posting this? 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

My boyfriend left his GTX 1080 Ti on the floor while he was testing another GPU.

Do you think he should be allowed to use a PC? xD

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

Yeah he evidently knows what he's doing he's a true PC pro! C: As long as circuitry isn't touching the floor you are 100% safe. And even if it is as long as you don't rub it across carpet/dip it in water or something it should still be OK.

Basically people tend to waaayyy over estimate how sensitive computer components are these days.

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

7 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the PCB isn't touching the carpet anyways so it isn't much of an issue. but i wouldn't recommend it anyways.

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Of course, I used my 980 Ti as a coaster for a few days. Hell, if I had a Team Red I'd use it as a tea warmer. 

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

put it in, if it still works, you should be banned from using a PC.

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

that name leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination

on topic yes he should

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

No, get him a console. He doesn't deserve PCMR.

6 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

At least he put it fans down. You should have a long, hard talk about this.

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Trick question, should you be allowed to use your boyfriend after posting this? 

By the way everyone, I love my boyfriend, and he does know what he's doing when it comes to computers.
He just put it there while making room on his desk.
Thanks for the input though :P  It is interesting to see what people think. :) 

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Thanks for changing your name, now i can once more use Linustechtips forum at work without getting called into the boss's office.

I suppose it's time to change my username to XxxPussySlayer69xxX and spam you all day. Lmao.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It is fine, plug it in and enjoy that GPU.

GPUs are meant to be used, and be not living room decoration, or a carpet holder.

But what I really wanted to say, is that this topic is more of a Status Update than one that needs to be on the forum.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

Yeah he evidently knows what he's doing he's a true PC pro! C: As long as circuitry isn't touching the floor you are 100% safe. And even if it is as long as you don't rub it across carpet/dip it in water or something it should still be OK.

Basically people tend to waaayyy over estimate how sensitive computer components are these days.

No, you underestimate how easy static electricity damage can be done to a circuit board. Yes, he might be fine with it being fans down but plastic can build up a static charge and do damage. 

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/what-is-esd-and-what-damages-can-it-cause

3 minutes ago, sanosuke001 said:

No, you underestimate how easy static electricity damage can be done to a circuit board. Yes, he might be fine with it being fans down but plastic can build up a static charge and do damage. 

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/what-is-esd-and-what-damages-can-it-cause

*If I still disagree after reading that I'm gonna debate you*

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

1 minute ago, sanosuke001 said:

Sure, but that only really happens if you rub it against the carpet... if you just put it down gently for a minute or two it shouldn't be a problem. I'd be more worried about him walking around on carpet and touching pcbs. Still, it's fairly rare to cause actual damage with static electricity.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

actually i got a whole theory about how the biggest geniuses are the messiest people. 

the more you know about something the less careful you have to treat it because you know exactly what could and what wont damage it.

that being said it doesnt work the other way around in other words geniuses can afford to be messy but just being messy doesnt make you a genius.

honestly id guess anyone whos worried for "static electricity" looking at this picture is pretty new to the tech world i have my system set on a carboard box right now looking like the most janky frankenstein tumore ever. first i said its just temporary but that was almost a year ago and nothing "bad" has happened yet.

so by that logic linus must be a master mind :D 

image.png.ff4a9d37087ba4072138c56b259a3600.png

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

image.png.ff4a9d37087ba4072138c56b259a3600.png

Should we let Linus has a Tech Channel with large following despite stacking 3K+ dollars on top of each other balancing them with just mere hope, ofcourse.

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sure, but that only really happens if you rub it against the carpet... if you just put it down gently for a minute or two it shouldn't be a problem. I'd be more worried about him walking around on carpet and touching pcbs. Still, it's fairly rare to cause actual damage with static electricity.

He probably won't have an issue just setting it down but you need very little static to actually do damage. The traces on a PCB aren't large and cutting through one isn't difficult. It's not as rare as you think it just doesn't usually bisect anything completely. It might almost bisect it and not show issue until months or years later when it heats up an fails due to too much current going through too small a wire.

Here are some more info (and cool pictures!)

https://nepp.nasa.gov/index.cfm/6095

http://www.aecouncil.com/Papers/aec4.pdf

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/today-is-national-static-electricity-day.454359434/

forget the gpu on the floor he has HL2 for the xbox

I ..just/.....no words

34 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

No, get him a console. He doesn't deserve PCMR.

STOP DOOMING OUR PEOPLE

Setup:

Name: Ryzentosh

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400mhz

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

I don't see a problem. Modern electronics are pretty resistant to static electricity, it doesn't break that easily.

EDIT: JayzTwoCents even made a video just recently - 

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

that name leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination

on topic yes he should

We're that conformed to expecting clickbait titles that an actual title looks weird, crazy times in LTT :P

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s