USB Stick refuses to cooperate with me... (Can't format, can't create partition)

I have a USB Stick 64 GB 2.0 (i know) which after formating and converting it to a bootable linux drive refuses to cooperate anymore what so ever.

• As soon as I try to format it a message pops up saying "No medium found on drive E:, put in a medium and try again".
  • I can't open it manually, it shows me the same message but without the yellow warning sign.
  • Using diskpart didn't help either, I can select the disk (size: 0B, free: 0B, neither Dyn nor GPT is marked asterisk) but as soon as I list the partitions, a message in the cmd window tells me that "there's no partitions on this drive that can be shown"
  • When I try to create a primary partition on the usb stick  via diskpart, a giant message pops up in the cmd window -> "

No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient
    free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset. Specify
    different size and offset values or don't specify either to create the
    maximum sized partition. It may be that the disk is partitioned using the MBR disk
    partitioning format and the disk contains either 4 primary partitions, (no
    more partitions may be created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended
    partition, (only logical drives may be created).

• Yes its plugged into a 2.0 Port, I tried other ones too and even 3.0:D.
  • Chkdsk tells me :"cannot open volume for direct access"

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Well, probably because it is formatted for Linux. Maybe try formatting it on a Linux system?

Which linux system :D? I'm trying to format the drive to make it a bootable linux live stick, so I have a linux system but how am I supposed to do that atm with all those issues?

I highly doubt that ,that is the issue with the stick.

did you try cleaning it in diskpart?

• open diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk <number>
  • clean
  • create part pri
  • format fs=ntfs quick

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

May need to use a third party software to format the drive, this has happened to me before on my PC but luckily my Mac always saves my butt haha. 

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Thunderzzu said:

did you try cleaning it in diskpart?

• open diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk <number>
  • clean
  • create part pri
  • format fs=ntfs quick

As soon as I try to use "clean" a message pops up saying:

"Error in diskpart: The device is not ready. More information can be found in the system protocol."

1 minute ago, Techguy1993 said:

May need to use a third party software to format the drive, this has happened to me before on my PC but luckily my Mac always saves my butt haha. 

Used a 3rd party software yesterday and had no luck. Maybe I used the wrong software or luck is on my side today, though I would need a small guide and a software recommendation.

2 minutes ago, System.exit(0) said:

Used a 3rd party software yesterday and had no luck. Maybe I used the wrong software or luck is on my side today, though I would need a small guide and a software recommendation.

I’ve used Paragon and EaseUS. Also some USB stick manufactures have their own utility, like Sandisk for example.

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

12 minutes ago, System.exit(0) said:

As soon as I try to use "clean" a message pops up saying:

"Error in diskpart: The device is not ready. More information can be found in the system protocol."

when i had roblems like that, i used this https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ even though it's called "SD card" formater. Worked like a charm. 

17 minutes ago, Thunderzzu said:

when i had roblems like that, i used this https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ even though it's called "SD card" formater. Worked like a charm. 

SDCardFormatter seems to give me more room.

Btw EraseUS is completely trash, it didn't even detect my usb stick.

Here's the problem with SDCardFormatter, it won't detect my stick. I have to manually plug the stick out and into the usb port again.

Once I replug the usbstick in, sdcardformatter can detect the usb stick and the options below are clickable now but the entire programm freezes after 1-2 sec. and then the usb stick disappears from the "Select card" list.

The is probably because windows is a piece of garbage and tries to auto open or whatever it tries with the usb stick, and that causes the stick to dissapear.

50 minutes ago, System.exit(0) said:

SDCardFormatter seems to give me more room.

Btw EraseUS is completely trash, it didn't even detect my usb stick.

Here's the problem with SDCardFormatter, it won't detect my stick. I have to manually plug the stick out and into the usb port again.

Once I replug the usbstick in, sdcardformatter can detect the usb stick and the options below are clickable now but the entire programm freezes after 1-2 sec. and then the usb stick disappears from the "Select card" list.

The is probably because windows is a piece of garbage and tries to auto open or whatever it tries with the usb stick, and that causes the stick to dissapear.

you can turn the autoplay function off.....

10 minutes ago, Thunderzzu said:

you can turn the autoplay function off.....

Turned off but didn't work.

3 hours ago, System.exit(0) said:

I have a USB Stick 64 GB 2.0 (i know) which after formating and converting it to a bootable linux drive refuses to cooperate anymore what so ever.

• As soon as I try to format it a message pops up saying "No medium found on drive E:, put in a medium and try again".
  • I can't open it manually, it shows me the same message but without the yellow warning sign.
  • Using diskpart didn't help either, I can select the disk (size: 0B, free: 0B, neither Dyn nor GPT is marked asterisk) but as soon as I list the partitions, a message in the cmd window tells me that "there's no partitions on this drive that can be shown"
  • When I try to create a primary partition on the usb stick  via diskpart, a giant message pops up in the cmd window -> "
  • Yes its plugged into a 2.0 Port, I tried other ones too and even 3.0:D.
  • Chkdsk tells me :"cannot open volume for direct access"

have you tried hdd low level format

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Well, probably because it is formatted for Linux. Maybe try formatting it on a Linux system?

Linux bootable sticks made in Windows tend to be FAT32 formatted and readable in Windows.  I just verified this using sticks made using Universal USB Installer (aka PendriveLinux) as well as Rufus.  So that's not the problem.

Worn low-grade flash such as USB drives typically goes into read-only mode when the NAND is worn, so I doubt that's the issue here too. 

I'd suggest creating another bootable Linux stick, using that to boot the PC into a temporary Linux environment, inserting the non-functional stick in another USB port and trying to wipe its partitions using Gparted (be sure to use the "apply" button, as changes are not made right away).  If that doesn't work, I reckon the stick is just dead.