Ask a German (almost) everything

Tataffe

how do it feels that NSA is watching you?

How does it feel that the NSA is watching you?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I'm an aerospace engineering student.

I have a real question: There is a thread on a New Zealand story where the parents of a child who died of cancer are convinced that the school's WiFi is a danger to other children (will cause injury leading towards cancer = they want to remove WiFi from the schools). It was pointed out that WiFi is non-ionizing radiation. This lead to tangents about photons and what is ionizing radiation. The energy of a photon was being discussed (because 10 electron Volts or higher are needed to disrupt electron(s) orbiting atoms (which damages DNA).

A question came up, why isn't amplitude used in the calculation of a photon? Instead we use just the wavelength (or frequency) as the only variables : energy = Planck constant * frequency = Planck constant * speed of light / Wavelength of a photon.

In non-quantum mechanics physics, a wave's energy is determined by its amplitude? Why not photons?

Magst du Lederhosen? :P

what are people like in germany in general? For example, in Canada they are cordial and in Korea they are... well, nice way to put it is "smart but not smart enough"

Working hard, complaining a lot. The thing is though, unlike Canada Germany consists of a lot of different "nations", like the bavarians, the saxonians, the swabians etc and every "nation" has it's characteristics.

How does it feel coming from a country that is universally reviled/known primarily for starting wars/loosing wars/facism and genocide?

Not good, because today it's so different (we have not started a war any more since '39). I really hope that my country can brush up it's image regarding all that stuff.

Favorite car manufacturer?

Everyday cars: Audi. Super cars: Aston Martin.

do you speak "clean" german or a dialect?

High German with a touch of bavarian.

how do it feels that NSA is watching you?

Is it? Could be, and I wouldn't be amused.

What is your opinion on the Dutch?

Have never been to the Netherlands, so all I can say is that I like Orange and Robben is cool, too :D

I have a real question: There is a thread on a New Zealand story where the parents of a child who died of cancer are convinced that the school's WiFi is a danger to other children (will cause injury leading towards cancer = they want to remove WiFi from the schools). It was pointed out that WiFi is non-ionizing radiation. This lead to tangents about photons and what is ionizing radiation. The energy of a photon was being discussed (because 10 electron Volts or higher are needed to disrupt electron(s) orbiting atoms (which damages DNA).

A question came up, why isn't amplitude used in the calculation of a photon? Instead we use just the wavelength (or frequency) as the only variables : energy = Planck constant * frequency = Planck constant * speed of light / Wavelength of a photon.

In non-quantum mechanics physics, a wave's energy is determined by its amplitude? Why not photons?

I said "aerospace engineer", not "quantum physicist", yet I'm pretty sure that some people should better live in a cave ...

Magst du Lederhosen? :P

Ja!! :D

may be a odd question, but can you still feel the aftermaths of WWII in Germany? 

Yes, we do occasionally. In the larger cities, construction workers find old aircraft bombs on a regular basis. If you count the GDR as a WWII result, then boy do we feel it's aftermaths.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

How does it feel coming from a country that is universally reviled/known primarily for starting wars/loosing wars/facism and genocide?

He is german, not american ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Have never been to the Netherlands, so all I can say is that I like Orange and Robben is cool, too :D

Well i guess we'll see you in Brazil this summer, and kick your asses.( hopefully

Using Tapatalk

The same works with russia, even better^^

What do think about us Austrians, your beloved neighbours?

144Hz goodness

how are blood sausages?

bloody

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

What do think about us Austrians, your beloved neighbours?

We are quite similar, aren't we? Was there recently.

A single photon can't be considered a pure wave aswell as it can't be considered a pure particle (quantum physics chapter 1). So the amplitude of a single photon doesn't really exist. The amplitude comes into play when we talk about a group of N number of photons.

The color of light is defined by the frequency, but the amplitude just says, if the light is bright or not = if there are many N photons in the group wave or not so many. That's why, when looking at a single photon we just use the frequency and a bunch of constants.

I hope i could help. tbh i googled that, because my quantum physics was a while ago and i honestly didn't like it. But my knowledge as chemistry student aproves that said things are correct.

Edit: http://de.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110504080127AAcySiZ

who cares...

If you had to pick one: Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, or Weissman? (and why)

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

BMW, Mercedes - Benz or Audi? (i guess mercedes since you're from Stuttgart, am I right? :P)

If you had to pick one: Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, or Weissman? (and why)

BMW, Mercedes - Benz or Audi? (i guess mercedes since you're from Stuttgart, am I right? :P)

Dammit! You beat me to it. xD

Nice ;)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Are you german? Bist du Deutsch?  nvm probably not right lol. But I do know a few things :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

A single photon can't be considered a pure wave aswell as it can't be considered a pure particle (quantum physics chapter 1). So the amplitude of a single photon doesn't really exist. The amplitude comes into play when we talk about a group of N number of photons.

The color of light is defined by the frequency, but the amplitude just says, if the light is bright or not = if there are many N photons in the group wave or not so many. That's why, when looking at a single photon we just use the frequency and a bunch of constants.

I hope i could help. tbh i googled that, because my quantum physics was a while ago and i honestly didn't like it. But my knowledge as chemistry student aproves that said things are correct.

Edit: http://de.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110504080127AAcySiZ

Don't particle act like waves though? The whole "is it a particle or is it a wave" question. I am not a quantum physicist by any means so just stop me if I'm talking shite. :)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Audi. I have driven Audis, BMWs and Mercedes. I don't like how BMWs feel while driving, and I disapprove of Mercedes' and Porsche's current exterior design. The same goes for Wiesmann.

See above. I currently live in Stuttgart, but I grew up near Ingolstadt, so Audi would be my preferred choice from that point of view anyway :P

Do the grades achieved at around 10 years of age affect ones ability to go to college/university in Germany? What do you think of your education system? (Was recently discussing this)

Do the grades achieved at around 10 years of age affect ones ability to go to college/university in Germany? What do you think of your education system? (Was recently discussing this)

I bet he loved getting 1's

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans