HD 559 vs Superlux 668B

Froody129

Demoed some Sennheiser headphones today and was pretty happy with the sound of the HD 559. It costs €84

I've seen a lot of hype over the Superlux 668B. They're only €30 but I haven't been able to try them out. 

Is it worth going for the Sennheisers over the Superlux? Onboard audio and use case is music and gaming. Will be buying from either Conrad.de or Mediamarkt.de

Thanks for any help 

That's an F in the profile pic

668B is too good for the price but of course its not perfect. You can easily tell that this headphone has a very distinctive v shape sounds signature but the high is quite good imo, The mid...ehh not so much, The bass..is quite good enough for a cheapo headphone.

You need to change the earcup though cause its just soo bad

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

23 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

668B is too good for the price but of course its not perfect. You can easily tell that this headphone has a very distinctive v shape sounds signature but the high is quite good imo, The mid...ehh not so much, The bass..is quite good enough for a cheapo headphone.

You need to change the earcup though cause its just soo bad

Cool, how important is the quality of the adaptor to 3.5mm for the HD 559?

That's an F in the profile pic

The Superlux HD 668b is hot garbage if you ask me. No human being should subject themselves to hot piercing painful treble and weak mids. Because, 

Hollow mids + hot murdurous treble = much clarity! Wow! 

So the Superlux HD668b gets rave reviews on the internet. Even though it’s no secret that you have to get extra thick pads and toilet paper to tame down the murdurous highs...

It blows my mind why a Superlux product gets recommended on these forums... 

Anyway, the Sennheiser is 559 is just excellent. It’s properly tuned by human beings with ears. It doesn’t murder your eardrums with screaming highs. It’s just good.

20 hours ago, kokakolia said:

The Superlux HD 668b is hot garbage if you ask me. No human being should subject themselves to hot piercing painful treble and weak mids. Because, 

Hollow mids + hot murdurous treble = much clarity! Wow! 

So the Superlux HD668b gets rave reviews on the internet. Even though it’s no secret that you have to get extra thick pads and toilet paper to tame down the murdurous highs...

It blows my mind why a Superlux product gets recommended on these forums... 

Anyway, the Sennheiser is 559 is just excellent. It’s properly tuned by human beings with ears. It doesn’t murder your eardrums with screaming highs. It’s just good.

Thats very offensive shit u just said. I think you just expecting too much for a €30 headphone

21 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Cool, how important is the quality of the adaptor to 3.5mm for the HD 559?

Any adapter would work no need to worry about it

3 hours ago, Ya_Mi said:

Thats very offensive shit u just said. I think you just expecting too much for a €30 headphone

So a headphone is immune to criticism because of its price!? C’mon! Nobody should subject their ears to painful sharp treble. Here are some $30 headphones I’d rather use: 

- JVC flats

- Koss Porta Pro

- Koss UR 23

- JVC S400

None of these headphones are as detailed as the Superlux. But the Superlux sounds so unpleasant that anything else feels more enjoyable. From a « raw performance » metric the Superlux is hard to beat. Hence the rave reviews. But I cannot recommend something that gives me pain.

There are many better headphones than these around $40~$50 though. Like the JVC HARX 700 or AKG K92. So if you can stretch your budget just a little. 

I suspect the problem @kokakolia is you like to use absolutes when talking about something subjective, so its going to ruffle feathers. The Superlux sound unpleasant to you. I wonder if you feel the same way about the DT990?

I don't mind either, but I recognize they can give more sensitive ears splitting headaches. Anyway, you're welcome to use hyperbole or absolutes, I just wanted to point out why it was "offensive" to some :).

I do agree you get a nice bump up in quality if you can hit the 50 dollar price tag, but its often hard to find the same headphones that cost 50 dollars here in the US in the Eurozone because of VAT and higher landed shipping costs.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

48 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

I suspect the problem @kokakolia is you like to use absolutes when talking about something subjective, so its going to ruffle feathers. The Superlux sound unpleasant to you. I wonder if you feel the same way about the DT990?

I don't mind either, but I recognize they can give more sensitive ears splitting headaches. Anyway, you're welcome to use hyperbole or absolutes, I just wanted to point out why it was "offensive" to some :).

I do agree you get a nice bump up in quality if you can hit the 50 dollar price tag, but its often hard to find the same headphones that cost 50 dollars here in the US in the Eurozone because of VAT and higher landed shipping costs.

It’s only hard because the models are different. Philips and AKG make good headphones around 50€. The AKG K92 is an example.