Power Supply efficiency

Hey I'm think about making a new pc but when i was searching for a power supply i come across like bronze, gold and platinum ratings but what do they mean ?

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyXenoT_T said:

Hey I'm think about making a new pc but when i was searching for a power supply i come across like bronze, gold and platinum ratings but what do they mean ?

They are efficiency levels certified from a 3rd party.

Though that doesn't mean that the PSU you're buying is the same that is tested. There are some dishonest companys that send in some Gold Thingy and replace it with a Bronze one...

But that's not that common and reputable brands (like be quiet, Cooler Master, Silverstone and most others) don't do that.

The Thing is:
Due to development in technology, the price difference of 80plus Gold and Bronze became pretty much non existant, wich means that you have to cut cost on a Bronze model more compared to a Gold one...

And also that you can get a far better PSU for just a bit more money, so it makes sense to avoid the Bronze PSU and get an Entry Level Gold unit like Bitfenix Formula, 450W or Cougar GX-F.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

That's why its important to use the psu that's right for your system as you reach certain loads it becomes more efficient. 

Corrected*

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

10 minutes ago, Gedgn said:

For example you have Gold rated 550W psu and your system uses 478W total, your psu will be efficient at this 87% mark. That's why its important to use the psu that's right for your system and not a 850W where you would need to use 739W to achieve efficiency. 

That's not how it works... The 80+ ratings certify that the power supply will convert AC to DC power at a certain efficiency at different load levels. For example, 80+ Gold requires 87% efficiency at 20% load, 92% at 50% load, and 87% at 100% load. All this means is that at a load level like 50%, the power supply must convert 92% of the AC power it takes in to DC power. The other 8% is converted into heat.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

55 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

That's not how it works... The 80+ ratings certify that the power supply will convert AC to DC power at a certain efficiency at different load levels. For example, 80+ Gold requires 87% efficiency at 20% load, 92% at 50% load, and 87% at 100% load. All this means is that at a load level like 50%, the power supply must convert 92% of the AC power it takes in to DC power. The other 8% is converted into heat.

eh that's what I meant, confused something in there with something else. At 50% load it's efficient at converting power to the components yet that's why it's important to have the right psu wattage and not something overly estimated as when it's at 50 -100% load for example it's more efficient.

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

5 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

No, 87/90/87 at those loads

90/92/89 is Platinum

BUT: Peak Efficiency is NOT really at 50% load, often its at 40% and even if, we are talking about like 0,5% difference in a 30-40% Range.

The Efficiency line is rather flat and not as curvy as the 80plus thing suggest.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"