9ine04

Shawy

The fluid will be entering from the top and the air will be drawn from the bottom.

Yep, that's the right way to do it :)

In this test there wasn't too much difference, though I'm not sure how sandwiching 4 rads together will affect things until I finish my project.

The bigger (longer) your heat exchanger, the bigger of a difference it will make.

NB-Eloops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

And the case modding begins!

Case, meet Dremel. Dremel, meet case.
eapiPk1.png

Due to the simplicity of the case, removing the HHD bays required drilling out these 2 rivets,
QVn4QaT.png

and cutting 2 little bends.
DioVfpW.png

Also had to cut this bit out to get the rads to fit.
n8qskfh.png

I had to keep this little bit to hold the door on, but the top of the HHD cadge was too low for the rads to fit.
2hXePuH.png

So much room for activities!
Ril6OtH.png
I had to cut some more off the top though, I was hoping to use the HHD cage mount to secure the rads in place, but the stack is too tall.

Speaking of my rad stack..
2cudWgf.png
:D

And from the back:
Ytk5GJJ.png

Thinking of mounting my SSDs at the front here.. Not sure about cable management though.
Ny8cpeA.png

And this is just about as cramped as it gets:
10X9GmJ.png
Only one card blocked up right now.

And, yep, it's tight.
HrARtTl.png
Gonna move the fans/rads up slightly to prevent the cards sagging.

Oh, and I'm not looking forward to cable management in this case..
Tx0VzNW.png

if it's touching just for a tiny bit you can always bend the radiator shroud a little. 

Great work, I can't wait to see more.!

I am so curious how that rad tower is going to work. I toyed with that idea

myself a while back but discarded it because I was concerned about performance

and it was quite a bit more expensive than just having a 560 rad.

But yeah, very curios about results. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

if it's touching just for a tiny bit you can always bend the radiator shroud a little. 

Great work, I can't wait to see more.!

At the moment the rads are pushing the cards down slightly, so if I lift the rads up the should support the cards and keep them from sagging.

I am so curious how that rad tower is going to work. I toyed with that idea

myself a while back but discarded it because I was concerned about performance

and it was quite a bit more expensive than just having a 560 rad.

But yeah, very curios about results. :)

You and me both, lol!

It is annoying paying £180 for 4 rads instead of about £80 for a single one, not the mention the extra fittings as well all adding up..Especially when at the end of it all I could be left with a pretty expensive melted pile of metal..  :rolleyes:

You and me both, lol!

It is annoying paying £180 for 4 rads instead of about £80 for a single one, not the mention the extra fittings as well all adding up..Especially when at the end of it all I could be left with a pretty expensive melted pile of metal..  :rolleyes:

Nah, I don't think it's going to be that bad. You will loose some performance,

but I would be kind of surprised if it really was a proper fail.

(then again, thermodynamics has surprised lots of people over the course of

its history, and successfully continues to do so :P )

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Nah, I don't think it's going to be that bad. You will loose some performance,

but I would be kind of surprised if it really was a proper fail.

(then again, thermodynamics has surprised lots of people over the course of

its history, and successfully continues to do so :P )

Yeah, to be fair I tried running my old rig completely fanless.. It actually worked too, even under full load. The main thing I'm worried about is my motherboard as there's no real airflow in the case.

intake in the back? Pushes the air through the MB and out the fan/rad set up

Those SATA cables will be a tight fit. Do you plan on using special cables (like the really compact one that silverstone makes) or do standard right angle cables fit?

have you tried turning on the fans with them stacked like that?  the eloop fan blades stick out of the frame just a bit, causing it to hit the rad when used in pull.  at least thats what everyone that's tried to run these fans in pull on a rad said... mine are setup in push...

awesome build though, looking forward to seeing it work!

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

intake in the back? Pushes the air through the MB and out the fan/rad set up

I'm hoping to leave that slot open, or use it as an exhaust purely for aesthetics.

Those SATA cables will be a tight fit. Do you plan on using special cables (like the really compact one that silverstone makes) or do standard right angle cables fit?

Probably going to cut out a hole in the mobo tray and use right angled connectors similar to my old build - just need to find out where to stick the SSDs at the other end.

have you tried turning on the fans with them stacked like that?  the eloop fan blades stick out of the frame just a bit, causing it to hit the rad when used in pull.  at least thats what everyone that's tried to run these fans in pull on a rad said... mine are setup in push...

awesome build though, looking forward to seeing it work!

Yep, completely silent. I'm not using 30mm screws pulling the back of the fans closer to the rad so there's still a gap between the blades and the fins.

Thoughts on cooling performanc:

The biggest unknown is the radiator's heat transfer properties/performance numbers.  Because I'm expecting these to be quality rads with pretty good efficiency already, It would be interesting to see how much difference there is...  it may be possible to calculate the relative efficiency of the Rads...  that one number I've never seen calculated! =)

In thermo, you can do detailed calculations to see what's going on, but in the end, it can be treated as a system... meaning simple wattage/heat from hardware vs heat capacity (air volume, temp, etc).   In this case (pun not intended), the whole system only has one inlet of air... but one cpu and two gpu's.  So some food for thought on basic physics without getting all technical.  

As a crap shot guess, I still think it would run as well as a two rad with separate air/fan inlet at half fan speed vs fan at max speed & 4 rads in series.

My Rigs (past and present)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update, and I'd love to say I've been really busy, but the truth is I've just been a bit lazy. I'm still waiting on the last of my fittings though, so I'm gonna use that excuse for the lack of progress.

Anyway, I've done some work on the fan stack - I don't have any progress shots unfortunately, but what I did was de-solder the original fan cables, cut some new ones to the right lengths and then re-soldered them on and sleeved them. I'm also using a molex to 4 3pin fan splitter PCB that I acquired from an old case - it's the perfect size for what I need.

So without further ado: the rad stack:
R32eZLM.png

You can see the fan cables are all cut to length, the slack should be taken out once the PCB is in place.
YFWqwnN.png

Another angle showing how the cables will sit inside the case:
Gt7dgYG.png

And the rads back inside the case:
RJ8sFyC.png
(bonus points for guessing what books are propping it up :P)

From the back you wont be able to see much of the cables
210Ur5p.png
Q69sAgz.png

And the PCB will sit behind the tab with the side panel screw. Lower down than in the picture, but it's such a tight fit, I wont be mounting it until the final assembly.

OK68Ppm.png

That's it for now. I'm hoping to get more of the cabling done later on next week, though if today's anything to go by; it's gonna take me quite a while..

(bonus points for guessing what books are propping it up :P)

Well one is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The other appears to be Harry Potter as well, but I can't tell which one... Awesome rad stack as well btw :P

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Holy cow! That Rad Stack  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

The bottom book seems to be either  Half Blood prince or The Deathy Hallows

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Holy cow! That Rad Stack  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

The bottom book seems to be either  Half Blood prince or The Deathy Hallows

Almost certain its the Deathly Hallows

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

Almost certain its the Deathly Hallows

that's the one I'm leaning towards ;)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Nice work guys - 10 points to Gryffindor!

It was OOTP and Deathly Hallows. :D

That looks soooo good :o

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I cannot wait to see this further along, this build looks so epic and awesome. great work man.

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -