Project Grayscale, aka Kazuu91's first build

kazuu91

For a reallly long time i've been waiting to save up enough money to buy a really good computer, and now it's finally happening.

I've been sitting on a crappy HP computer now, and before that i had a computer a friend build for me. 

I have been studying computer science for three years and now on my second year to become a bachelor of media. 

This is my first time i'm going to build a computer for myself, but certainly not the first time i'm build a computer!

Here is the Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

CPU-Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2

RAM: Mushkin Blackline 8Gb 1600Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280X 

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

PSU: XFX 850W Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb

Storage: I think it's a Western Digital 1Tb which i'm going to take from my old computer

I'm planning to sleeve every single cable in this case, including case cable and PSU cables. Everything is going to be paracords sleeves, so i hope i wont give up in the middle of the thing.

I will also add some white LEDs to get some nice looking effects. 

And if i wasn't clear about it, this whole build is going to be black, white and gray. Which means i have to paint the GPUs red parts either white or gray, still hasn't decided. 

I hope you subscribe to this build so i can keep you updated.

I ordered everything yesterday, so i'm not going to start this build before next year!

Yours faithfully

Kazuu91

Looks like a very solid build, you could've downsized the PSU quite a bit though! 

Keen on how this build is going to turn out!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

you could've downsized the PSU quite a bit though!

I was originally going for a be quiet PSU, but they didn't have one is stock, so i went for that one insted, and now i have some extra just in case i want to expand later on

But thanks anyway for the heads up :D

• 2 weeks later...

Quick-update:

Still waiting for the parts to arrive. They didn't have the CPU cooler and the GPU in stock, and it seems like it could take a while before they get them. So i'm waiting patiently right now.

Also, i will be ordering the paracord as soon as i get my paypal account topped up. I'm going for black, white and gray paracord, and i really hope this will turn out great!

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY!! The company just sent me an email saying the have shipped everything today, so i might get it on friday or monday, but the Finnish mail is REALLY slow i don't expect it to arrive before next week. 

I'll try to document as much as possible while i'm building so you can't see the whole process :D

Fingers crossed, i hope you receive your package on friday so you have a nice weekend to build your new pc.

Mushkin Blacklin are sexy ram.

White LEDS?! yep yep yep yep yep uh huh.....

Mushkin Blacklin are sexy ram.

White LEDS?! yep yep yep yep yep uh huh.....

Yepyep, Mushkin sure are sexy, and i really belive they cool efficient too

White leds or nothing, can't stand anything else. Any other colors just looks cheap and childish (sorry for stepping on some toes)

Yesterday i got my paracords. I ordered Black, light gray and dark gray. In my eyes the dark gray looks somewhat greenish, while my brother thinks they looks just gray.

paracord1

paracord2

Tell me what you think. How should i setup the cables?

Interesting. I don't think I have ever seen that color scheme in a build. Hope it goes well!

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Paracord is just so full of win. I got my first batch today and I absolutely love it. Totally poos on crappy plastic braid.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Interesting. I don't think I have ever seen that color scheme in a build. Hope it goes well!

Thanks! I'll start build it hopefully on monday

Paracord is just so full of win. I got my first batch today and I absolutely love it. Totally poos on crappy plastic braid.

I know right, finally who's agreeing with me. 

I won't do the sleeving for a while tho, since i don't have the tools, and i would like to make custom lenghts also. But as soon as i got some extra time i'll start with that :) 

Looks like this is going to be nice, gonna keep an eye on it ;)

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally done! 
Everything arrived on monday and i got really excided so i started building it as fast as you can say potato!

I must say, i have been a little bit lazy lately due to a lot of schoolwork and stuff. Everyday after i come home from school i just sit by the computer playing Rust! :D

With no futher ado, here is some not so fancy pictures for you to look at!

stack

I'm surprised everything arrived in one piece. Also i had to walk 1Km with this before i got home. Sure was a pain

mbbox

As you can see, the box is a little bit trashed, but luckily not enough to have broken anything

Mb

I didn't think it would be this beautiful

Cpu

The bad boy! I don't really know if i want to overclock it (atleast for now)

mbcpu

I have never worked with AMD before, so this was really interesting :D

Ram

Sure looks sexy. The only thing i can complain about is the green pcb.

rammb

but as you can see, you don't really see that there is a green pcb underneath 

mbcase

I was so excided, and yet i didn't forget the I/O panel :D

Fan

I can't tell you how happy i was when i opened the box for this sexy little thing. The box was really torn, but thank god for Be Quiet! for being good at packeting stuff

fancase

I don't know if this is the right way, i was expecting to have it facing backwards, not up! Does anyone know if i've done this wrong?

gpubox

This is the part i've been waiting on for sooo long!

Gpu

And it is beautiful!

gpucase

Psu

This was a lot smaller then i expected it to be. But i can't complain, it's modular and small! :D

psucase

ssdbox

I wanted a good looking ssd, no reason :D

Ssd

And i don't know why i bought the upgrade pack! Atleast i got a screwdriver and a enclosure

front

I guess it's better with two fans pulling cold air in, in the front and one fan blowing it out in the back. Don't know if i should get another pulling air from the bottom into the case

back

Not the best cablemanagment, but it's good enough for now. 
I'm still going to sleeve everything with paracord and maybe even do custom lenghts on everything

case

Idiots! I ordered a Arc Midi R2 with window. Still i got one with a solid panel. I called them to complain, and they told me that i can't just send back the side panel, i had to send back the whole case, so they could replace it and then send everything back to me! So i'm going to use this for now. Maybe in the future i'll just buy a panel with window or make my own.

Black on grey with little bit of red.

I like it!

Tykkään! 

Black on grey with little bit of red.

I like it!

Tykkään!

Thank you!

I'm not going to leave the red though. I'm probably going to paint over it with white.

Also, i forgot to post a picture of the inside when i was finished with everything. I'll post that picture when i get home on sunday

• 2 weeks later...

inside

Here is the last picture i promised.

I bought some cheap LED stripes that i'm going to attach on the inside. 

I still wonder with the CPU-cooler! Does anyone know if i can turn it to exhaust to the back and not up?

I still wonder with the CPU-cooler! Does anyone know if i can turn it to exhaust to the back and not up?

can't you just turn it a quarter?

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

You're sucking in hot air from the back of the GPU. Heat rises... 

I would turn it so that the fan is on the right side, then the rear exhaust can work properly. Other than that I like it.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

You're sucking in hot air from the back of the GPU. Heat rises... 

I would turn it so that the fan is on the right side, then the rear exhaust can work properly. Other than that I like it.

I would turn it if i knew how. i would need to go buy some rubbing alcohol and try again. When i first attached it i was in a hurry when i hade put too much paste on and it started to drop. 

you may want to remove those extra drive cages at the front for better air flow as it doesn't appear you are or will be using them. just a thought as they currently are adding restriction to the front intake fan when they don't have to be doing so

With today's technology I often wonder why we don't have colonies on the moon or Mars. Then I go to Wal Mart for 5 minutes and realize the vast majority of the human populace isn't ready for such things.

you may want to remove those extra drive cages at the front for better air flow as it doesn't appear you are or will be using them. just a thought as they currently are adding restriction to the front intake fan when they don't have to be doing so

True, and i had it removed after i took the pictures :D so this is a somewhat outdated picture :P

I will take new pictures when i have the sleeved cables