VM license and setup of software?

I'm looking a build a slightly older server using dual Xeon 6 core 3ghz on a 1366 board. 64gb ram. Found a great deal

I'm new to the idea of Virtual machines and don't know if it's my best route to go.

I will need 4 work areas all with the same software nothing crazy powerful needed.   Older p4's and mini atoms will run the software.  I have my choice of windows keys or linux keys. I'm trying to circumvent buying 4 copies of all the software I need. Would vms be the way to go? I have server 03,08,12 as well as windows 3.1 - 10 and a hand full of license keys for them all. Unless VM or clients require special license. Do they?  Sorry I'm not new to PC's I'm just new to server software...   I have some for hosting webpages and email and storage, but I paid to have them setup years ago.

i9 9820x @4.2 - MSI X299 Sli plus - 32gb Quad DDR4 G.skill3400 - MSI Gaming x 2070 Super - EVGA 1300 SupernovaG2 Gold -  500NVME WD Blue & Optane 32gb + WD Blue4tb - Enermax 360Aio - Vigor GK80 - MSI DS200 - Dual MSI Mag 271R

building - supermicro x9 - e5-2660 128gbddr3

supermicro x8 - e5648 24gb ddr3

Well, Linux doesn't require any licenses at all, and Windows 10 can be run just fine without a license, as long as you remember that it means you can customize the desktop's looks much.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Look at the linence of your software, but you probably need 4 copies of the software. When the software is running in the vm it thinks its running in a normal pc.

FOr the hypervisor is look at vmware esxi and proxmox, depending on budget and hardware, and preference.

For guest os that people remote into id use windows 10 as its the most secure and will be supported for the longest. Don't use vista or older as its not supported and security is a mess.

Security itsnt a high concern it will be part of an offline network. What about running each user as a remote login? I would only need one license key correct?  But all my peripherals would have to be plugged into the server correct?

i9 9820x @4.2 - MSI X299 Sli plus - 32gb Quad DDR4 G.skill3400 - MSI Gaming x 2070 Super - EVGA 1300 SupernovaG2 Gold -  500NVME WD Blue & Optane 32gb + WD Blue4tb - Enermax 360Aio - Vigor GK80 - MSI DS200 - Dual MSI Mag 271R

Server 2003 allows you to have 5 CALs I think, so you could host a terminal server and have people RDP into it. However there are no more patches for it (security or otherwise) so it would be a vulnerability.

Server 2008+ requires separate licensing for RDS. I have no idea how much it costs unfortunately.

If you only need people to use the software one at a time, then it doesn't matter which you chose. Using it at the same time however, you have to get a little creative.

5 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Server 2003 allows you to have 5 CALs I think, so you could host a terminal server and have people RDP into it. However there are no more patches for it (security or otherwise) so it would be a vulnerability.

Server 2008+ requires separate licensing for RDS. I have no idea how much it costs unfortunately.

If you only need people to use the software one at a time, then it doesn't matter which you chose. Using it at the same time however, you have to get a little creative.

I haven't tried but can you not have more then one remote client at a time...  If they use different usernames and passwords?

You have mentioned patches and vaurnability? If this server isnt online what am I at risk of?

16 hours ago, brokebeardedguy said:

I haven't tried but can you not have more then one remote client at a time...  If they use different usernames and passwords?

You have mentioned patches and vaurnability? If this server isnt online what am I at risk of?

I believe normally you can only have 2 concurrent sessions, anymore and you need to install the terminal services role (RDS 2008+)

Depends on your organization and the sensitivity of the data. Insider threat is the first, and anyone in the office just walking up to a terminal (visitors or otherwise) is the second. Anytime you read on the news about classified data leaking it's not because the network was on the internet.

Oh, I'm not a company with employees, I have a few different machines printers mills and I'm looking at a lathe. I like to do a lot of diy and prototype things just because I can ... Each machine uses CNC controle software so instead of buying license for each item. I was hoping to make the one go further...   I have extra PC's laying around but I don't really wanna spend $1k on software instread of just moving the same tower to each machine when I go to use it...

1 hour ago, brokebeardedguy said:

Oh, I'm not a company with employees, I have a few different machines printers mills and I'm looking at a lathe. I like to do a lot of diy and prototype things just because I can ... Each machine uses CNC controle software so instead of buying license for each item. I was hoping to make the one go further...   I have extra PC's laying around but I don't really wanna spend $1k on software instread of just moving the same tower to each machine when I go to use it...

Ah ok, sounds pretty cool.

You could also just install everything on a single desktop, activate your licenses, and then use something like clonezilla and just image multiple computers. 

correct me if I'm wrong, because I probably am.... but each pc would have to be identical to do so correct? or each system hardware id would be different?

11 hours ago, brokebeardedguy said:

correct me if I'm wrong, because I probably am.... but each pc would have to be identical to do so correct? or each system hardware id would be different?

Not so much anymore, using Windows 7 or newer it will just detect the new hardware and roll on. Only issue is if your software license detects hardware changes. 

Windows XP would lose its shit if you did that though. However I think after SP3 it was a little better at this, but still often blue screened.