R9 290X Does Not Utilize A Fully Unlocked Hawaii GPU.

TechFan@ic

It turns out AMD has been holding back, a Hawaii GPU actually has 3072 GCN cores, 256 more than the R9 290X.
AMD hasn't introduced a graphics card based on a fully unlocked Hawaii GPU yet, likely due to yield issues similar to Nvidia's early yield issues with GK110.

This discovery came in light of a reverse engineered Hawaii GPU, which revealed what the floor plan actually looks like.
This is likely why AMD did not release die shots for the Hawaii GPU when it launched the R9 290X and the R9 290 back in October.

AMD will likely release fully unlocked Hawaii GPUs as R9 300 series products after a die shrink from 28nm to 20nm, which brings the die size and heat output down to a manageable 314mm² from 438mm².

AMD-Hawaii-GPU.jpg

Source

I wonder what the heat output of the reference card would be if it was fully unlocked 0_o 

A 9% higher delta, 84.95c if an 290X of the same silicone quality runs at 80c in a room temperature of 25c.

Also remember that a fully unlocked Hawaii die would have less defects than an R9 290X GPU which would allow it to naturally run cooler.

A 9% higher delta, 84.95c if an 290X of the same silicone quality runs at 80c in a room temperature of 25c.

Also remember that a fully unlocked Hawaii die would have less defects than an R9 290X GPU which would allow it to naturally run cooler.

I am curious how would it run cooler ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I still can't get over how hot that card is. It's 38C ambient here right now (the things I'd do for AC) that card would literally be melting, reference cooler or not. My 680 DCUII sits on about 70-80 in this heat playing BF4.

OT: I wonder if they'll release a 290xx, or something like that, to combat the 800 series that's just around the corner.

A fully unlocked Hawaii would be a higher binned chip compared to an R9 290X and would require less voltage to operate at the same frequency.

That's why the 780 Ti can achieve such high overclocks, it's a higher binned GK110 chip compared to the 780.

But a fully unlocked Hawaii would only have 9% more functional units than an R9 290X which would have a significantly smaller thermal footprint compared to the 780 Ti which has 25% more functional units than a 780.

I still can't get over how hot that card is. It's 38C ambient here right now (the things I'd do for AC) that card would literally be melting, reference cooler or not. My 680 DCUII sits on about 70-80 in this heat playing BF4.

OT: I wonder if they'll release a 290xx, or something like that, to combat the 800 series that's just around the corner.

Probably just shrink the chip and release it as an R9 380X.

R9-290X2...Two fully unlocked hawaii gpu on one pcb...One can dream  :P

The PCB would melt. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

R9-290X2...Two fully unlocked hawaii gpu on one pcb...One can dream  :P

Welp, I'll be set for winter!

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

The PCB would melt.

same thing people said about GF 110,and then they released the GTX 590.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

The quality of the chip determines voltage needed. Less Vs=Less *Cs. On a similar scale to comparing like chips' ASIC quality. The difference between an FX8320 and 8350. Same chips, different quality.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

same thing people said about GF 110,and then they released the GTX 590.

its a joke. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I bet that the minute it's release, Bitcoin Miners will buy them all.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

this is exactly what nvidia did, didnt unlock the 780 gpu, and when they did , they called it the 780TI

problem is, amd cant release its full unlocked hawaii GPU on reference cooler, i wonder, if the 290 has more room to grow or not

this is exactly what nvidia did, didnt unlock the 780 gpu, and when they did , they called it the 780TI

problem is, amd cant release its full unlocked hawaii GPU on reference cooler, i wonder, if the 290 has more room to grow or not

Yep and Nvidia got a lot of hate for it. I'm surprised I haven't seen any of it here yet.

But actually it was a smart move on AMDs part. The cooler is one reason, but the other is that it leaves them at least one card that can come out when Maxwell does. I don't think it will be able to compete with Maxwell but it'll buy AMD a small amount of time.

I don't think AMD needs to release a fully unlocked card right now. The 290 and 290x in non-reference form are very fast and also run cool. Fully unlocked chip would have to be binned higher which means less supply and higher prices.

Unless they want to steal the absolute performance crown back from 780ti.

Still it's good to know that they still have more left in the tank.

I knew it!! Ever since it launched and only performed a bit faster than a 780, I knew this day would come!!

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

That's just sad... manufacturers hold technology back because they want to screw with people and get them just spend their money. This could've just made 290 the 280X and 290X the 290.

I like this development. When nvidia rebrands for the 800 series (cause no 20nm) this will let amd release a 200 series card to compete until they can shrink for their 300 series to compete with Maxwell.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I like this development. When nvidia rebrands for the 800 series (cause no 20nm) this will let amd release a 200 series card to compete until they can shrink for their 300 series to compete with Maxwell.

You got a source for that? I did a quick google but couldn't find anything of note to say Maxwell was delayed or that 800 would be a rebrand. More curious then anything.

That's just sad... manufacturers hold technology back because they want to screw with people and get them just spend their money. This could've just made 290 the 280X and 290X the 290.

With such high end silicon it's a constant balance between your profit margin vs limited yields and supply because you are pushing the manufacturing technology to it's limit.

A lot of people think that Nvidia didn't release the 780ti (fully unlocked GK110) at the start of the year by choice, people say they only wanted to do enough to beat the 7970Ghz. But that's only half the story; manufacturing the 780ti at the time would likely have been extremely difficult for Nvidia because the chips needed to be so highly binned. May have been a fiasco; mostly paper launch with ridiculous prices and no supply. Now that the process is more mature they find it easier, of course had Hawai not launched they would have delayed the 780ti further to 2014. Similarly AMD probably sees no reason to push fully unlocked Hawai out the door before they have to.