R9 290X Does Not Utilize A Fully Unlocked Hawaii GPU.

TechFan@ic

this is exactly what nvidia did, didnt unlock the 780 gpu, and when they did , they called it the 780TI

problem is, amd cant release its full unlocked hawaii GPU on reference cooler, i wonder, if the 290 has more room to grow or not

I think in LTT's video with the water cooled 780 vs 290, Slick found that the reference power phase design and power supply format (6+8 I believe) couldn't deliver enough power to the GPU so I do think that the 290 has a fair bit to grow 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

All of you complainers about the heat output of the R9 290/X clearly never had experience with a reference single slot ATI HD 4850. That card idled as much as my current one does max load. That was a POS card that deserves being mocked for running too hot. Compared to a single slot HD4850, the Hawaii GPU is Mt Everest.

All of you complainers about the heat output of the R9 290/X clearly never had experience with a reference single slot ATI HD 4850. That card idled as much as my current one does max load. That was a POS card that deserves being mocked for running too hot. Compared to a single slot HD4850, the Hawaii GPU is Mt Everest.

That's because you bought a single slot card dude. Small heatsinks == low heat dissipation == high temperatures.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

You got a source for that? I did a quick google but couldn't find anything of note to say Maxwell was delayed or that 800 would be a rebrand. More curious then anything.

It's speculation on my part, mostly. But it's based on TSMC's 20nm fabs not being ready till Q3 (so no cards till Q4) 2014, and Nvidia saying the 800 series will be in Q2, if I remember right. this means that unless maxwell is a 28nm part, it won't be in the 800 series.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

@xrex64 please rethink... EVERYTHING YOU KNOW.

This is amazing. Hopefully they can implement a better cooler to feed the beast!

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

What if AMD was the first to make a water cooled reference card...

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

So is it possible that AMD is working on a 290XT or something ?

Yep and Nvidia got a lot of hate for it. I'm surprised I haven't seen any of it here yet.

But actually it was a smart move on AMDs part. The cooler is one reason, but the other is that it leaves them at least one card that can come out when Maxwell does. I don't think it will be able to compete with Maxwell but it'll buy AMD a small amount of time.

We know almost nothing about Maxwell except that it supports virtual shared memory.

I can tell you for sure that it's not coming out anytime soon otherwise Nvidia wouldn't have bothered with the 780 Ti.

If it's 28nm  that means it will bring no performance improvements what so ever over Kepler since GK110 is physically the largest chip TSMC can produce on 28nm.

If it's 20nm that means it won't be coming for at least another 6 to 9 months.

I hope not, we already have enough $500+ overpriced video cards from both camps.

What we need is 20nm silicone !

Exactly, in 2011 AMD launched the 7970 which was faster than previous generation products while still generating less heat and consuming less power. Now we seem to have pushed 28nm to it's limits. Unforutnately it looks like it will be a while before 20nm is ready.

For now; with the arrival of 3rd party custom 290s and 290-X cards, things would have been pretty great if not for those damn miners buying all our cards. :angry:

For now; with the arrival of 3rd party custom 290s and 290-X cards, things would have been pretty great if not for those damn miners buying all our cards. :angry:

It won't be long before they have to sell them all. Then cheap, but 100% stressed cards, for everyone!

This isn't surprising at all. They need to do this to get the yields required. This was even more of a factor with GK110, which is 25% larger, and is (part of the reason) why Nvidia took so long to release them as a GTX product.

• 5 months later...

R9 290X Ti? lol

Lol what would their dual GPU card be called, R9 295X2 Z?

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V