Why is my stream lagging my games?

Specs:

GTX 1060 3GB

Intel Core i5-7600k - Running no overclock

8GB DDR4 RAM

For my internet, I have a CAT5 ethernet cord and my speeds according to speedtest.net are:

Ping; 10ms

Download Speed; 238.39 Mbps

Upload Speed; 11.8 Mbps

Whenever I stream at 720p60, I turn my game all the way down to the lowest settings on 1920x1080 resolution and I still lag, do I need more ram, a better gpu? I don't know what I need to fix.

You haven't told us the games but I'm going to guess it's the CPU. To know for sure, run something like HWMonitor in the background while streaming and see what's hitting 100%.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

with an i5, i'm guessing it'll be the cpu, because there's not really much else that gets shared between games and streaming software in a major way.

Checked to see what's maxing out first when you're streaming and gaming at the same time?  Run a resource monitor tool.  Likely CPU or GPU mem.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

with an i5, i'm guessing it'll be the cpu, because there's not really much else that gets shared between games and streaming software in a major way.

I heard that I just need more ram and my CPU is more than enough.

you could use NVEC encoding and see if that helps, that ofloads most of the work to your GPU from the CPU or you could play around with the downscaleing filter and see if that helps too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Checked to see what's maxing out first when you're streaming and gaming at the same time?  Run a resource monitor tool.  Likely CPU or GPU mem.

Do those monitor my ram usage aswell?

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

you could use NVEC encoding and see if that helps, that ofloads most of the work to your GPU from the CPU or you could play around with the downscaleing filter and see if that helps too

I tried nvec and software x264 they both lag me horribly.

1 minute ago, DirtyKeyboard said:

i heard people say that more ram will make word run faster. 8GB ram may be a bit tight, but its not *THAT* tight.

Do those monitor my ram usage aswell?

hwmonitor should have you covered on CPU and mem.  Check GPU mem with something like MSI Afterburner or Evga PrecisionX.

Just now, DirtyKeyboard said:

I tried nvec and software x264 they both lag me horribly.

have you tried messing about with the downscale filter, Lancros is pretty light on the CPU load IIRC. you could also try lower or higher resolutions and framerates

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, DirtyKeyboard said:

It's enough for gaming, but not for streaming. Streaming adds a lot of extra work onto your CPU.

You should run monitoring software to verify first of course, but if it's the CPU and you want to upgrade then I recommend buying a used 6700k on eBay. Your 7600k will cover most of the  cost. Getting an older generation will cut back on the cost too.

Of course you can overclock, but only four threads is hurting you.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

17 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

have you tried messing about with the downscale filter, Lancros is pretty light on the CPU load IIRC. you could also try lower or higher resolutions and framerates

I have not tried that.

16 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's enough for gaming, but not for streaming. Streaming adds a lot of extra work onto your CPU.

You should run monitoring software to verify first of course, but if it's the CPU and you want to upgrade then I recommend buying a used 6700k on eBay. Your 7600k will cover most of the  cost. Getting an older generation will cut back on the cost too.

Of course you can overclock, but only four threads is hurting you.

I ran NZXT's monitoring program, ram was at 95%, cpu and gpu usage spiked to 100% frequently.

19 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

hwmonitor should have you covered on CPU and mem.  Check GPU mem with something like MSI Afterburner or Evga PrecisionX.

I ran NZXT's monitoring program, ram was at 95%, cpu and gpu usage spiked to 100% frequently.

2 minutes ago, DirtyKeyboard said:

I have not tried that.

then try that then

Builds:

Spoiler

You're going to have to lower some settings somewhere or get a dedicated capture card that offloads to another computer.  Or upgrade your current computer, at least the CPU it sounds like.  GPU spiking to 100% isn't all that uncommon, but what about the GPU ram?

Just now, PineyCreek said:

You're going to have to lower some settings somewhere or get a dedicated capture card that offloads to another computer.  Or upgrade your current computer, at least the CPU it sounds like.  GPU spiking to 100% isn't all that uncommon, but what about the GPU ram?

I haven't checked up on the GPU's VRAM but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say I need more, 3GB isn't enough. I think I will just upgrade my PC or lower my stream settings.

Cant I just get a capture card and not have to upgrade my pc at all?

I haven't checked up on the GPU's VRAM but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say I need more, 3GB isn't enough. I think I will just upgrade my PC or lower my stream settings.

The 3GB model's usually considered subpar for a variety of reasons.  Since your computer's being used as both gaming system and capture/encode/streamer I'd say the CPU and the GPU mem are your choke points.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

The 3GB model's usually considered subpar for a variety of reasons.  Since your computer's being used as both gaming system and capture/encode/streamer I'd say the CPU and the GPU mem are your choke points.

A capture card captures from an external source, like a game console.  It doesn't handle encoding; that's your CPU.  A capture card won't help in this scenario.  You'd probably be ok if you were using a game console to game and then just using your PC to capture and stream with a capture card.

A capture card captures from an external source, like a game console.  It doesn't handle encoding; that's your CPU.  A capture card won't help in this scenario.  You'd probably be ok if you were using a game console to game and then just using your PC to capture and stream with a capture card.

Here's what I'm thinking about upgrading to:

Intel Core i7-8700k

GTX 1070 8GB SC

And also add another 8 gig stick of ram to bump me up to 16gb.

Would this be enough to stream at 720p60?

Here's what I'm thinking about upgrading to:

Intel Core i7-8700k

GTX 1070 8GB SC

And also add another 8 gig stick of ram to bump me up to 16gb.

Would this be enough to stream at 720p60?

I doubt you'd run into many issues with that setup.  There's always catches, but something like that shouldn't bottleneck.

2 minutes ago, DirtyKeyboard said:

When you stream your computer is doing two resource intensive things at once. It's rendering the game, then it's encoding that video output into something that is streamable. That's why people usually have two computers for it. Your build has the resources to do ONE of those at moderate settings. At the very least you'll have to upgrade your CPU.