Undervolting on Linux?

I'm quite experienced tuning processor clocks and frequency in Windoze but I am once again making a foray into the world of Linux in an attempt to get a lightweight OS for my laptop for maximum battery life (and less spyware...).

Is there an alternative to Throttlestop on Linux? I'm also looking for an alternative to Afterburner/ Precision OC. Both my CPU and GPU are amazing chips and I gain a lot from undervolting them so would love to take advantage of it. Appreciate any help with this or other tips to move my laptop over to a more permanent Linux install :)

That's an F in the profile pic

22 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'm quite experienced tuning processor clocks and frequency in Windoze but I am once again making a foray into the world of Linux in an attempt to get a lightweight OS for my laptop for maximum battery life (and less spyware...).

Is there an alternative to Throttlestop on Linux? I'm also looking for an alternative to Afterburner/ Precision OC. Both my CPU and GPU are amazing chips and I gain a lot from undervolting them so would love to take advantage of it. Appreciate any help with this or other tips to move my laptop over to a more permanent Linux install :)

Not that I am aware of. Those kind of tools are pretty specific...

This has been asked before (a lot apparently)

try here

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, linuxgod said:

https://github.com/trstringer/linux-core-temperature-monitor/blob/master/README.md

For CPU monitoring. The issue with the overclocking tools is I assume they would use a proprietary API and there would not be a Linux option.

Thanks, but I have no problems with thermals. I'm just looking into undervolting to extend battery life. Unfortunately my BIOS won't do it so I'm trying to find a software solution

Just now, linuxgod said:

Were you able to undervolt it from windows?

Yes, using Throttlestop and Afterburner/ Precision OC.

5 minutes ago, linuxgod said:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/556894/tlp-dont-change-cpu-frequency

Read the answer here, TLP can manage it.

As far as I can tell that just manages the clocks/performance mode of the CPU. Good for lowering power consumption but at the cost of performance. Undervolting is running the same clocks at a lower voltage to use less power.

Undervolting should be doable in the BIOS/UEFI and the official nVidia drivers do have options for overclocking but it has to be issued from the command line.  If you keep note of your settings in Windows then theoretically you should be able to apply the same settings, although the selection of games you can run on Linux is pretty limited anyway (only 30% of my Steam library is natively compatible, although some will work via WINE).

I never ended up testing if it worked as instead I run Linux on Intel HD Graphics and Windows 10 in a virtual machine with my GPU passed to it via IOMMU.

For any serious gaming I boot natively in Windows though.

AMD GPUs, I don't know about native Linux overclocking but I would expect they should work via IOMMU the same running real Windows and Afterburner.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Read here; you should be able to underclock the CPU using the intel-undervolt tool (you'll have to install it from your distribution's repositories or from the github page). OBVIOUSLY if you choose to try this you're doing it at your own risk.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

35 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Read here; you should be able to underclock the CPU using the intel-undervolt tool (you'll have to install it from your distribution's repositories or from the github page). OBVIOUSLY if you choose to try this you're doing it at your own risk.

Hey hey that looks like just what I'm looking for :). Thanks