Overclock not applying?

Hey everyone,

Just upgrade from 4690k to 8600k. I'm using an ASUS Z370 TUF Pro-Gaming. I tried OCing my CPU and looking in CPUZ and that didnt work, I then tried using the EZ Tuner tool with ASUS and applying that overclock, but when looking in CPUZ, it still shows my multiplyer is 35! Whats happening?

Help please,

thanks!

Yeah, when using EZ Tuner, it auto retarts the computer, so no way it didnt apply! I've tried manually multiple times too and it still didn't update.

Did you try putting it under load? Did you try disabling throttling in the BIOS? I've also experienced where some software's just don't detect overclocks on some platforms. Try a different monitoring software. Try checking your CPU under Task Manager. That should tell you what it's really running at.

I know the overclock shouldn't apply only on load, but are you testing it under cpu load? also, how are you checking the overclock in your OS?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Maybe your Power Supply isn't good enough... Could you send me your specs?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you try putting it under load? Did you try disabling throttling in the BIOS? I've also experienced where some software's just don't detect overclocks on some platforms. Try a different monitoring software. Try checking your CPU under Task Manager. That should tell you what it's really running at.

I wouldn't necessarily trust the task manager. It says my 1700x is running at 4.15 ghz which I know for a fact it is not.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Just overclock it in BIOS, then?

thats... what ive been doing...

Just now, Unknown_Gamer said:

thats... what ive been doing...

Wait, is the EZ Tuner one of those auto overclock things? 

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Wait, is the EZ Tuner one of those auto overclock things? 

Yes but it is in the BIOS

1 minute ago, Unknown_Gamer said:

Yes but it is in the BIOS

Ah, ok, thought it was one of the software things. 

Don't use the auto OC tools. They always use way overkill voltages when they work. In your case, it might just not work with your chip. Just manually overclock the CPU. That'll be better for your CPU and cooling. 

Just now, seon123 said:

Ah, ok, thought it was one of the software things. 

Don't use the auto OC tools. They always use way overkill voltages when they work. In your case, it might just not work with your chip. Just manually overclock the CPU. That'll be better for your CPU and cooling. 

Ye i know, i did it as a last resort to see if I was doing anything wrong.

13 minutes ago, Unknown_Gamer said:

Ye i know, i did it as a last resort to see if I was doing anything wrong.

Have you tried updating the BIOS? It might be an issue that has been solved in a later update.  

4 hours ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I wouldn't necessarily trust the task manager. It says my 1700x is running at 4.15 ghz which I know for a fact it is not.

Fair enough. I'm under the assumption that OP isn't seeing any core clock increase above stock at all so if task manager at least says something higher than that we can say that some sort of boost is still taking place.

Or we could just give it a test like cinebench. If no OC vs OC gives notably different results then we know the software is just refusing to relay that an OC is indeed active.

15 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Fair enough. I'm under the assumption that OP isn't seeing any core clock increase above stock at all so if task manager at least says something higher than that we can say that some sort of boost is still taking place.

Or we could just give it a test like cinebench. If no OC vs OC gives notably different results then we know the software is just refusing to relay that an OC is indeed active.

True, but CPU-Z and task manager giving false positives? Is there a good way to test and get a CPU score reliably with stock no overclock and attempting to overclock?

9 minutes ago, Unknown_Gamer said:

True, but CPU-Z and task manager giving false positives? Is there a good way to test and get a CPU score reliably with stock no overclock and attempting to overclock?

From both school and a little self teaching about programming I've learned that pretty much every application is capable of lying to you about CPU core clock or any other system information. As I mentioned before even if your system won't show you a core clock that reflects what the BIOS says, if you perform a CPU test that gives you a performance score then a successful overclock should show you a higher score. Cinebench r15 should be a good enough application to test this if your overclock is high enough over the stock turbo.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late, reply, but still isn't working. Even tried overclocking with Intel XTU and using those readouts. It stays at a constant 3.5Ghz, never goes above or below, wether overclocked in bios or XTU

What should I do? 

p2apfDU.png