Help me fix my damn freezing issue! (This time i found a way to replicate the freezes)

Howitz

Running the witcher 3 at ultra with nvidia airwork and all at max in the middle of novigrad, instant crash within a few seconds everytime.

It takes longer at lower settings.

Its on an rx580 replacement sent to me by xfx after i rma'd my rx480 for this exact freezing issue. They said the rx480 i had was fine.

Also, this time the crashes are different, instead of a frozen image of the game and loud buzzing noise forever, i hear just a quick electrical buzz and the whole pc just reboot, like brzzt, black screen, reboot. No bsod or anything.

i am also building a new computer so i'll be able to swap all parts at will, hopefully i can diagnose which part is faulty by doing this witcher 3 test and swapping parts.

make your bets!!! Which part is gonna be faulty?

15 minutes ago, Howitz said:

i am also building a new computer so i'll be able to swap all parts at will, hopefully i can diagnose which part is faulty by doing this witcher 3 test and swapping parts.

make your bets!!! Which part is gonna be faulty?

Bad power supply.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Bad power supply.

Its an evga g2 650 watt, rather high end, it would be a shame if that was the issue... but i would be so damn happy!!! It's the first thing i'll do, swapping power supplies, i bought a corsair RM750x 2018 750 watt, should receive next week.

My personnal bet is something along the line of the motherboard getting too hot or the rx580 drawing too much out of pci 16x slot or blowing hot air directly on the chipset heatsink or something.

That or bad power outlets in my house, as it was really hard to get the crash going at the local computer shop but always happened at home. I'll go there tomorrow to test it again.

Are the CPU and memory overclocked?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Are the CPU and memory overclocked?

I am using the xmp profile, and regular cpu boost, so my ram run at its advised speed of 3200mhz (g.skill tridentz) and my i5 6600k runs at 3.9, so no overclock.

Disabling xmp did'nt seem to help, it was still crashing, but i will indeed test it anyways tomorrow at 2133 mhz with xmp off

9 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

What's your question? Don't have one?

faggot.png

Well yeah my question is basically if you guyz have any tips to troubleshoot my pc. Also, i ask you what you think the failing piece will be. I agree if you only read the title it might seem like its more fitting as a status update, i'll change it.

5 minutes ago, Howitz said:

Well yeah my question is basically if you guyz have any tips to troubleshoot my pc. Also, i ask you what you think the failing piece will be. I agree if you only read the title it might seem like its more fitting as a status update, i'll change it.

Run stress tool for 10+ hours? If it doesn't crash you can rule hardware out. If it crash, it probably hardware. You first just stress your CPU if you rule out cpu, then maybe just GPU.

Magical Pineapples

6 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Run stress tool for 10+ hours? If it doesn't crash you can rule hardware out. If it crash, it probably hardware. You first just stress your CPU if you rule out cpu, then maybe just GPU.

As i said, running the witcher 3 at ultra settings with nvidia airwork in the middle of novigrad (rather performance heavy zone) it crashes the whole computer every time in a few seconds. (Also ran prime95 with it at the same time the first time) then only the witcher.

1 hour ago, Howitz said:

As i said, running the witcher 3 at ultra settings with nvidia airwork in the middle of novigrad (rather performance heavy zone) it crashes the whole computer every time in a few seconds. (Also ran prime95 with it at the same time the first time) then only the witcher.

Do you understand a game uses both GPU and CPU? I thought you wanted a way to troubleshoot what is what? You should just solely stress cpu and than solely the gpu.

Magical Pineapples

1 hour ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Do you understand a game uses both GPU and CPU? I thought you wanted a way to troubleshoot what is what? You should just solely stress cpu and than solely the gpu.

Otherwise it doesnt work... its a trouble beyond testing individually...

Like it seems related to power draw, testing individually doesnt seem to cause freezes reliably enough to test. It could also be linked to temperature, testing individually doesnt ramp up enough the temp of another unmonitired piece of say, the mobo, so it wouldnt crash. Anyways you get the idea...