building an open-case pc

saif96

im planning on building this pc when the parts arrive what do you think?

thermaltake P3 core ATX

thermaltake 360m liquid cooler IRGB plus

thermaltake 1050w IRGB plus

32GB G-skill 3200mhz TridentZ RGB RAM sticks (4 x 8GB) 

Asus Z370-F motherboard 

970 Pro 1TB SSD

i7-8086K CPU

GTX 980ti G1 (will be replaced by the GTX 1180 Asus Strix in the future)

Black/Red Sleeves cables

it will look like the picture but a bit different, first i would replace the sleeves to black/red, second i would flip the power supply exposing the RGB airflow, third i would also flip the GPU into a sleeping position instead to give more room for the power supply to face me, and of course, different RAMS, different motherboards and different SSD like in the list.

the only big change i can guess is having more then just 1TB of storage but the reason why im sticking with 1TB is because it forces me to delete unwanted files and games which in turn make the PC faster so ill stick with just 1TB.

the other minor change i should of ordered the 4000mhz instead of the 3200mhz i really hope this wont impact much.

third would be is that i shouldn't of gotten the 1050w power supply, i really should of gotten the 850w the reason why i got 1050w is because i wan unaware SLI is dying.

any other changes you recommend?

Thermaltake-Floe-Riing-RGB-360-TT-Premium-Edition-installed-in-chassis.png

it looks like you saved some money on the GPU by not getting a 1080 , but you should save by getting the 8700k instead, unless you're gonna delid and go pretty crazy with the overclock. Z370F is real nice tho, and I'm eventually gonna get it for my personal rig because of its good heatsinks.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

it looks like you saved some money on the GPU by not getting a 1080 , but you should save by getting the 8700k instead, unless you're gonna delid and go pretty crazy with the overclock. Z370F is real nice tho, and I'm eventually gonna get it for my personal rig because of its good heatsinks.

i am gonna OC the 8086K with the help of the liquid cooler, and there wasn't much different in price between the 8700k and the 8086k they were like $60 dollars different where i live, so might as well get the best out of the best

6 minutes ago, saif96 said:

i am gonna OC the 8086K with the help of the liquid cooler, and there wasn't much different in price between the 8700k and the 8086k they were like $60 dollars different where i live, so might as well get the best out of the best

The 8086 K is basically a binned 8700 K...

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

The 8086 K is basically a binned 8700 K...

but ill still get slightly higher fps, i know its not much but its something and it wasn't overly expansive

other then the CPU is there anything you think should change?

• What are you using the PC for?

• You don't need a PSU of that wattage. It's a waste of money.
  • Do you really need 32GB of RAM?
  • I'd save money by getting a different 2TB m.2 SSD. Do you actually need NVME?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Why 8086k over 8700k?

PSU is overkill wattage

A 970 pro 1tb is super expensive; if this is just a gaming pc nvme is a waste anyways, and even if you use it for something else you'd be better off with a larger 970 evo

If I were you I would get 2x16gb over 4x8gb for upgradability. 4000 MHz is also way overkill and won't give you any real advantages over a 3200 MHz kit.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:
  • What are you using the PC for?

• You don't need a PSU of that wattage. It's a waste of money.
  • Do you really need 32GB of RAM?
  • I'd save money by getting a different 2TB m.2 SSD. Do you actually need NVME?

-im using it purely for 4K, HDR, 98hz(10bit) gaming (maybe a few modding for games here and there like GTA5, Sims4, skyrim)

-i know the 1050w was in overkill but i really thought SLI would be worth it i really didnt know it was dying

-i dont need 32GB RAM i need 16GB but the reason im going with 32GB ram is because i get the extra 2 ram sticks to make the build more colorful RGB, it looks alot better that way

-i do want it i hate loading times it was super long on my old hard-drive i want to completely ditch hard-drives and get the best out of the best on SSD's and 970pro is the top! and i dont want 2TB its more expansive and plus the 1TB forces me to delete things keeping my PC clean so i really think the 1TB would be good for me

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Why 8086k over 8700k?

PSU is overkill wattage

A 970 pro 1tb is super expensive; if this is just a gaming pc nvme is a waste anyways, and even if you use it for something else you'd be better off with a larger 970 evo

If I were you I would get 2x16gb over 4x8gb for upgradability. 4000 MHz is also way overkill and won't give you any real advantages over a 3200 MHz kit.

- because it was a $60 different in where i live

- i know the power supply is an overkill but i really wanted to SLI my pc when the new GPU's arrive but now i changed my mind

- i wanted the 970 pro because i wanted the best of the best i know its just a few seconds different then a cheaper SSD but i really wanted this particular one

- upgradability? 32GB is alot i think the 16GB is enough, reason im getting the 4x8 is because i wanted 4 rams sticks

1 hour ago, saif96 said:

-im using it purely for 4K, HDR, 98hz(10bit) gaming (maybe a few modding for games here and there like GTA5, Sims4, skyrim)

-i know the 1050w was in overkill but i really thought SLI would be worth it i really didnt know it was dying

-i dont need 32GB RAM i need 16GB but the reason im going with 32GB ram is because i get the extra 2 ram sticks to make the build more colorful RGB, it looks alot better that way

-i do want it i hate loading times it was super long on my old hard-drive i want to completely ditch hard-drives and get the best out of the best on SSD's and 970pro is the top! and i dont want 2TB its more expansive and plus the 1TB forces me to delete things keeping my PC clean so i really think the 1TB would be good for me

• Yeah, it just doesn't make much sense, especially since SLI isn't really worth it.
  • You can get 4x4GB sticks. Or, if by the time you build, Gigabyte has their dummy sticks there's that option as well.
  • Even a regular SSD is going to be worlds faster than an HDD. NVME drives aren't that much faster at loading games than a regular SSD is. You can get a 2TB 860 EVO for the same price as the 1TB 970 PRO. Hell, you could get a 500GB NVME drive and get a 2TB Micron SSD for less than the 1TB 970 PRO.
    At the very least a 970 EVO makes more sense. There's absolutely no need to spend the extra $100 for what you're using it for.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, dizmo said:
  • Yeah, it just doesn't make much sense, especially since SLI isn't really worth it.
  • You can get 4x4GB sticks. Or, if by the time you build, Gigabyte has their dummy sticks there's that option as well.
  • Even a regular SSD is going to be worlds faster than an HDD. NVME drives aren't that much faster at loading games than a regular SSD is. You can get a 2TB 860 EVO for the same price as the 1TB 970 PRO. Hell, you could get a 500GB NVME drive and get a 2TB Micron SSD for less than the 1TB 970 PRO.
    At the very least a 970 EVO makes more sense. There's absolutely no need to spend the extra $100 for what you're using it for.

-yup wish i did a bit of search before thinking about SLI

-G-skill does not have 4x4 jut 4x8

-ya i know but i wanted the best SSD and 1TB will force me to delete files which is good

9 minutes ago, saif96 said:

-yup wish i did a bit of search before thinking about SLI

-G-skill does not have 4x4 jut 4x8

-ya i know but i wanted the best SSD and 1TB will force me to delete files which is good

Best SSD doesn't mean it's the best one for your build. But have fun wasting that money.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 7/11/2018 at 11:16 PM, saif96 said:

That sounds like a hassle though... a 2tb one means you don't have to bother. Or if you really insist just save some cash and get a 1tb ssd

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 12-7-2018 at 1:52 AM, saif96 said:

I never understood the reason why people ABSOLUTELY want to prioritise looks instead of performance.

On 12-7-2018 at 8:16 AM, saif96 said:

If you think that 1 TB is too small, you can always go for a higher capacity drive.

Why would you want to force yourself to delete files anyway?

12 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I never understood the reason why people ABSOLUTELY want to prioritise looks instead of performance.

when you got extra cash to burn it makes you do dumb crab like that lol

11 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

If you think that 1 TB is too small, you can always go for a higher capacity drive.

Why would you want to force yourself to delete files anyway?

i can but i dont want to, as i see it 1TB is more then enough for gaming only but sometimes i do approach 900+GB but thats only because i over download game mod files and forget to delete winrar files afterwords when im modding, and plus i like keeping the pc nice and clean but if i see that i have alot of space i just get lazy and dont do anything 

33 minutes ago, saif96 said:

when you got extra cash to burn it makes you do dumb crab like that lol

By that I mean: if I have to choose between looks and performance... I go for the performance. RGB and those other fancy hypes really don't bother me.

I'm not a gamer at all. I use computers for computer calculations/simulations. In that case, you need all of the performance you can get. Simply adding RGB RAM to your system isn't going to cut it. It might look nice, but the RGB won't boost your performance! (... mind blown... ;):P)

37 minutes ago, saif96 said:

i can but i dont want to, as i see it 1TB is more then enough for gaming only but sometimes i do approach 900+GB but thats only because i over download game mod files and forget to delete winrar files afterwords when im modding, and plus i like keeping the pc nice and clean but if i see that i have alot of space i just get lazy and dont do anything 

I have a server that runs - among other things/VMs - a NAS with RAID that has more than enough storage to last me a lifetime. I literally almost never delete a file... :)

I never save a file one any of my computers. Everything is immediately saved on the server.

That's both convenient (I can access all of my files whenever I want and wherever I want) and safe (due to the RAID and the periodical offline backup).

9 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

By that I mean: if I have to choose between looks and performance... I go for the performance. RGB and those other fancy hypes really don't bother me.

I'm not a gamer at all. I use computers for computer calculations/simulations. In that case, you need all of the performance you can get. Simply adding RGB RAM to your system isn't going to cut it. It might look nice, but the RGB won't boost your performance! (... mind blown... ;):P)

already got a PC that has maximum performance the only thing i didnt do is watercooling, i just dont wanna risk a leak so im fine with the asus strix aircoolers

I get what you're getting into. And I think it's great. It varies from person to person, and personally, I enjoy seeing a well-built rig as much as actually using it. Some would reckon that you're looking at the screen most of the time anyway, but for me, just knowing at the back of my mind that I have a beautifully crafted rig, and seeing it beside me, makes me just want to fire it up and do some gaming.

Btw, you're rig will be awesome. Don't bother with your choice of PSU and RAM. They're good as is.

Don’t get me wrong: I do like the RGB madness, the themed builds etc. But I’m more into pure raw performance...

2ED6BD4B-04E9-4D56-B3E0-C3B9BB7BB491.jpeg