Apple's new USB security feature has a major flaw

ItsMitch
7 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

No. They really shouldn’t. Doing so just creates a larger attack surface for attackers to try and exploit. There is not such thing as a “secure back door”. 

17 hours ago, Arika S said:

I'm not suggesting a not a backdoor. I'm saying that there needs to be something in place that law enforcement can contact Apple, raise their case as to why they need immediate access without having to wait for a warrant, as depending on the circumstances a warrant may be too late. It will be up to Apple to make the decision as to whether or not it's a legitimate excuse. and if they unlock it, it's only available for x amount of time to find what they need to, after that it's locked again and will not be unlocked again without a warrant.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

You've suggested Apple create a method to subvert the security measures of the device, this is a de facto backdoor.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

27 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

You've suggested Apple create a method to subvert the security measures of the device, this is a de facto backdoor.

Apple don't have to create anything, it already exists. Currently the only "correct" way police can access a phone is to obtain a warrant and present it to Apple to get them to unlock the phone, or you you believe that once a phone is locked that absolutely no one is able to unlock it?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

Apple don't have to create anything, it already exists. Currently the only "correct" way police can access a phone is to obtain a warrant and present it to Apple to get them to unlock the phone, or you you believe that once a phone is locked that absolutely no one is able to unlock it?

No, police cannot gain access to a locked iPhone by presenting Apple with a warrant. There is no “official” way to do it beside exploiting vulnerabilities in the software/hardware. Read up on the San Bernardino case to see this exact thing in action.

Specifically, the FBI wants us to make a new version of the iPhone operating system, circumventing several important security features, and install it on an iPhone recovered during the investigation. In the wrong hands, this software — which does not exist today — would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone’s physical possession.

The FBI may use different words to describe this tool, but make no mistake: Building a version of iOS that bypasses security in this way would undeniably create a backdoor. And while the government may argue that its use would be limited to this case, there is no way to guarantee such control.

https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

I would honestly just suggest reading Apple’s public letter about this exact topic. The only thing Apple can provide them access to is some iCloud things, but my understanding is that even most of the data on iCloud is encrypted and not accessible even by Apple. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

16 hours ago, Arika S said:

Yes, unless there's a security hole somewhere Apple uses blind encryption, meaning there are no backdoors or recovery keys to get into a locked iPhone.   The only current known attack vector is to brute force the PIN via the lightning port and as this thread describes, that ability went away in iOS 11.4 and moreso in iOS 12. 

Supposedly even if you tried attacking the hardware you wouldn't get very far.  Apple claims they don't record what cryptographic keys are burned into the silicon.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎10 at 8:08 AM, Shorty88jr said:

Apple needs to drop the security illusion they are selling before it ruins them.

I guess so should the TSA because they can't detect anything. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I guess so should the TSA because they can't detect anything. 

How does that even compare security like the TSA is supposed to be a deterrent first with some defense to back it up if something does go wrong while cyber security is supposed to be a defense first and foremost. 

On 7/12/2018 at 6:13 AM, Arika S said:

I'm not suggesting a not a backdoor. I'm saying that there needs to be something in place that law enforcement can contact Apple, raise their case as to why they need immediate access without having to wait for a warrant, as depending on the circumstances a warrant may be too late. It will be up to Apple to make the decision as to whether or not it's a legitimate excuse. and if they unlock it, it's only available for x amount of time to find what they need to, after that it's locked again and will not be unlocked again without a warrant.

Basicly it would be a backdoor.

Even if the police would need to contact Apple for unlocking the iPhone, Apple would need to have access to that iPhone no matter what security features are used and that would be a backdoor. And as with any backdoor, sooner or later someone outside will know about and tell to someone and at some point someone who can break through that backdoor will hear about and every single iPhone is at risk. Even if it's something extremely over engineered or requires something extreme measures (like SHA-256 key or similar "unbreakable"), when someone wants it bad enoughthey can get it. Also this kind of backdoor could open other ways to bypass the security, just like in normal locks, if more than one key and its copies can open it, it's easier to pick it open.

This "bypass" of USB restricted mode sounds very much like Apples softening for law enforcement, they know that law enforcement will try to brute force their way to iPhones through the lightning trick and while USB restricted mode could easily make it impossible, they have left specific steps through which it can be bypassed and used the old good brute force. Too bad that now probably every black hat and criminal who needs to unlock some specific iPhones knows it too.

iOS 12 beta 4 now disables the USB port immediately upon locking the phone. No more countdown timer, effectively making this flaw no longer an issue. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iOS 12 beta 4 now disabled the USB port immediately upon locking the phone. 

iOS 13 Beta 1 will wipe all data off your phone and format it each time it's locked.

can't steal data if there is no data

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒