Whoosh - The Airplane and Airline Thread

handymanshandle
17 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

When you hear your passengers screaming in the back because the approach into Innsbruck is apparently a challenge because of terrain

Although I have never landed there in real life, I have had the opportunity to try out the approach in a professional A320 fixed base simulator (with the help of an instructor of course, I am just an enthusiast). Innsbruck is one of the most frequently chosen destinations for those simulator flights, because the landscape is quite beautiful. It didn't strike me as being particularly difficult, I managed to fly it by hand without damaging the (virtual) plane (as far as one can call it hand-flying in an Airbus, plus auto throttle was engaged all the time). As far as I know, the only two challenges there are the steeper than normal descent angle and a specific type of wind typical for the region.
I assume that most passengers won't notice this if the pilots are skilled enough.

There’s a couple great air museums in Oregon that I love, out in Eugene there’s the “evergreen air and space museum” it’s home to the spruce goose,  or the Hughes h-4 Hercules. 

Theres another in hood river, called WAAAM or western air and aviation museum, 100% worth looking at the images, there’s a hanger full of antique planes, a hanger full of wwi, wwii and Vietnam military vehicles and weapons (there’s spitfires and p51s too) and 2 hangers full of antique cars, stacked as close as possible.

every vehicle there is perfectly functioning and running, except for the mock up planes and prototypes, there is also a hollowed out torpedo in the kids play area that was made to like a submarine.

the staff there are all super cool and now what they’re talking about as they are the ones who actually restored the planes and cars.

fun fact I learned at waaam, the cub model of plane was built by another company before who we know today, and then cub tried to completely destroy all traces of the company, but they have one made by the earlier company.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

any of you guys play Xplane 11? What's your favorite type to fly in that? (Doesn't have to be XP11)
I love ToLISS's A321.

I enjoy flying the B737, just because I've learned how to use the autopilot and FMS and can fly between large airports easily. I also like zooming about in a F22 or smashing bugs in the C172. Haven't got any really good 3rd party planes.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

16 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

I enjoy flying the B737, just because I've learned how to use the autopilot and FMS and can fly between large airports easily. I also like zooming about in a F22 or smashing bugs in the C172. Haven't got any really good 3rd party planes.

the Zibo 737 for Xplane 11 is great but because of trying to learn the FMS/MCDU on the A320 family I've forgotten what I'd learned on how to program the FMS in the 737 on at least XPlane.

I can't wait for XP11 to get a good 717 and A220.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

10 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

the Zibo 737 for Xplane 11 is great but because of trying to learn the FMS/MCDU on the A320 family I've forgotten what I'd learned on how to program the FMS in the 737 on at least XPlane.

I can't wait for XP11 to get a good 717 and A220.

I was about to say that XP11 already has a 717, but then I remembered it's an MD-80. I might as well say it has a DC-9 if I'm gonna be that lax about the differences.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

Daddy Trump visited my town today. Love or hate him, he has great taste in aircraft. He owns a 757 and used the "Air Force One" 757 today. Our airport can support a 747, in fact Barack Obama made a visit here during his first term. He used the 747.

Just thought I'd share.

43 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Daddy Trump visited my town today. Love or hate him, he has great taste in aircraft. He owns a 757 and used the "Air Force One" 757 today. Our airport can support a 747, in fact Barack Obama made a visit here during his first term. He used the 747.

Just thought I'd share.

KABE is a cool airport. A little busy for my tastes though. Probably the busiest I've flown at. I agree that as for tastes in planes, the president is doing pretty well. I don't know that his tastes in liveries agree with mine so much though. The classic blue Air Force One is very nice, I think better than the new design. Reminds me of the classiness of the '60s airline designs: United, Delta, TWA, Pan Am. All had beautiful liveries, and I think the current Air Force One livery is still classically beautiful in the same way.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Just thought I'd share.

I bet he gets a little bit of nostalgia when he flies on the government's 757 from when he traveled on his own 757 lol

I wonder what the US government will eventually replace the 757 with. I could see maybe the 737max10 get modified once it's re-certified or if Boeing does actually ever complete the NMA but seeing as the C-32A in use by the government for presidential/vice president transport was built in 1998 it's probably got another 10-15 years

9 hours ago, OJTheAviator said:

KABE is a cool airport. A little busy for my tastes though. Probably the busiest I've flown at.

It's small and dainty. But we do get HELLA 767's from FedEx and Prime Air. If there isn't a storm coming in (wind shifts) the landing and departing runway is in line with my house, them 767's are LOUD when they're low. Sometimes it's just one after another after another after the other. I don't mind it much though.

11 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Here was 29000 doing touch and goes at Wright Patterson a few years ago.  I was out there for the Memphis Bell exhibit opening at the Airforce museum.

IMG_7798.JPG

4 hours ago, Kaloob said:

If they have 10-15 years, I'll place my money on NMA. Boeing has to compete in that field at some point.

the VC-25A was introduced in 1990 so it's wholly possible the C-32 could see that long.
I think the 787 could easily be shrunken and width taken out to become an NMA, that can't be a whole lot of work.

Give it even better engines than the GEnx unless GE doesn't make anything better lol
Although maybe on a mid-sizer that might be a bit too much, I'd like to see a more powerful PW1000G be used for the NMA but more likely I think it could be something like a CFM Leap since Boeing seems to like GE/CFM a little more than Pratt and Whitney lol

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

A321s are supposed to have engines?!?!?!

Thought they were gliders.

a glider with the ability to launch itself but no engines

Also I made a little maymay from an olllld ass parody

I was on the 717, A321, and 757 in this video (those pics were taken well before I was ever on those planes though) lol

14 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

From the Dayton Airforce Museum. Lots of historic "X" planes.

IMG_8100.JPG

That's awesome! When I visited, most of the X-planes were away from the main museum, on the base. It was pretty cool to be able to see all those weird planes up close! Is that black plane near the center (below the "U.S. AIR FORCE" on the XB-70) the supersonic drone tested on the SR-71? I forget the name, but I remember hearing about it.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

From the Dayton Airforce Museum. Lots of historic "X" planes.

IMG_8100.JPG

there's a few of those museums I'd adore to go to.

It'd be kind of cool to checkout the museums that houses the Enola Gay and Bockscar and the Delta museum and AA's C R Smith Museum in Ft. Worth TX

Just now, pinksnowbirdie said:
20 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

I should also add since it's sorta related, it was kinda cool when I was in Huntsville visiting with my boyfriend @handymanshandle for the first time in the 3 years of us being in a Long Distance Relationship to drive by the NASA Space and Rocket Center and their static SR-71 (not sure if it's a real SR-71 or what) I hope when I get back down there to check out that place lol

4 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

I've been to the AA museum at least twice. It's quite interesting, and was improved last time I went. 

Fun fact: there's a brick on the floor of the area that houses their DC-3 that has my grandfathers name on it under the last generation AA logo. 

damn that's neat

There's the cockpit of an MD80 in there from what I saw that gives an interesting tour about it from a guy who posted on youtube before the plane was retired why he liked the plane so much.

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

I went in the cockpit, it's from one assembled in 1992 IIRC.

Was with my little cousin so I had to sit in the first officer seat. You can get an audio tour if you press a button (I assume that's what the bottom video is about). Nevermind, this is discussed in the video.

I've seen the top video, but will check out the bottom one.

oh that's pretty cool lol

Really a real shame those planes are vanishing from the sky and the 717 is the last one really left.

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

It's quite sad. Never got to get a final ride on an MD-80, I last flew one in 2015, even though the route I typically fly used to be crawling with MD-80s. 

I guess it's for the best, though, since it's successors are more efficient. 

Fortunately though that does mean the 717 is the last one left, and hopefully it's got another 10-15 years left of life in it.
Wonder how a 30 year old work horse commercial jet would be as a private jet (717) lol

I think that might be down to the landing and take off cycles on the specific air frame which at that point considering how heavily used Delta's are, those landing and t/o cycles will likely be very high once they're retired.

16 hours ago, OJTheAviator said:

That's awesome! When I visited, most of the X-planes were away from the main museum, on the base. It was pretty cool to be able to see all those weird planes up close! Is that black plane near the center (below the "U.S. AIR FORCE" on the XB-70) the supersonic drone tested on the SR-71? I forget the name, but I remember hearing about it.

It's the Lockheed D-21 that was the drone.  The SR in the picture is actually one of the older YF-12A and to be honest I have not gotten a good photo of the thing.  You would be amazed at the fact that the auto-focus on my DSLR truly has problems getting a good read on the surface of that thing with how dark they keep the inside of the museum.IMG_8111.thumb.JPG.1c346810b6f4f7b24edffec89f12d68b.JPG

16 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

there's a few of those museums I'd adore to go to.

It'd be kind of cool to checkout the museums that houses the Enola Gay and Bockscar and the Delta museum and AA's C R Smith Museum in Ft. Worth TX

The airforce museum in Dayton Ohio has Bockscar.

PICT4771.JPG