[UPDATE] A new FCC filing was spotted about a new Microsoft Surface tablet that costs $400 and with Pentium inside. OpenCL benchmarks are now leaked.

I would have considered it if it was a tablet with a pencil because I got a laptop.

I am currently thinking of buying an Ipad 9.7 or Ipad pro 12.9 as a student. I am mostly concerned about the size of Ipad

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Aren't Intel chips still WAY faster than ARM though?

Anything above an atom is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I reckon this is a tricky market.  These products (and similar) like the transformer, just don't cut it.  They occupy that horrid space between a snappy super portable tablet lacking features and a full featured pc lacking performance.

I had this issue last year getting similar product for my sons art intensive subjects.  The school recommended I stay away from the ipads (for multiple reasons) but that left me with either sub par performing hardware or spending a metric butt ton on a decent tablet/netbook device.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Something from Intel's Atom family. Yeah the experience is not going to be good.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Something from Intel's Atom family. Yeah the experience is not going to be good.

I wonder if the lack of hyperthreading would be a huge performance penalty in Pentium Silver?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's the thing though isn't it, never heard of Qualcomm etc developing chips at such high TDP as Intel.  They would rather focus on the lucrative phone market.

Intel should feel threatened after years of slacking off. They tried to enter smartphones with their Atom SoCs but they lost to ARM and now ARM is encroaching the laptops which used to be Intel's territory. While Intel powered laptops are here to stay for the years to come, ARM might give a significant blow to Intel's market share especially if the rumors are true that Apple is moving to their in-house ARM chips in 2019 for their lower tier MacBooks.

11 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

especially if the rumors are true that Apple is moving to their in-house ARM chips in 2019 for their lower tier MacBooks

Apple came out and said that that isn't happening.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Apple came out and said that that isn't happening.

All they said is that they're not merging macOS and iOS. It's all in the keynote. They neither confirmed nor debunked rumors of an ARM powered MacBook/MacBook Air.

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I wonder if the lack of hyperthreading would be a huge performance penalty in Pentium Silver?

Oh that won't be the issue-it is a true quad core. The problem is that the performance of the cores is abysmal. I'm talking similar performance per core to a Pentium 4.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

21 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

the performance of the cores is abysmal. I'm talking similar performance per core to a Pentium 4.

The single-core performance of an n5000 is twice that of the best Pentium 4 ever released. You can't just take whichever punchline worked for Cherry Trail and apply it to Gemini Lake, just because it's on a similar market segment. Things have changed since 2015, especially when it comes to low-end, low-power Intel CPUs.

BTW, this is confirmed for release and will be called Surface Go. Reporters were briefed on this device a couple Mondays ago in New York

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Updated the OP which now includes early OpenCL benchmarks.

Ooo.. I want one... Doubt il actually buy one, but I really want one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016