Fire resistant SSD case (wanted)

Go to solution Solved by Christophe Corazza,

@Royal_Commander_BE Have you already considered a fireproof Pelican case? https://www.pelican-case.com/pelican-testimonial-evo.html

You can have your SSD inside, together with a battery providing power for the drive.

There is also sufficient space for other electronic circuits/devices that you would need.

Hi guys I am looking for a fire resistant as is the case.

It’s for a project that I trying to build.

It needs to be low power, but it needs to have a high band with capacity.

And one very important spec is, how heavy it is.

the less it is the better!

some some additional specs or short circuit resistance for the data entrance as for the power entrance.

I’m looking for products on the marketsome companies that could build this.

or some companies that could build this.

A big thanks in front

From what google tells me, They cost a load.

This is the only real one I could find.

https://iosafe.com/products-soloPRO-overview

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

That's a tricky one to be honest.

The temperature of fire varies depending on the source and kind of fire you’re dealing with. A wood fire is something around 600 °C while a propane torch can reach about 2000 °C.

Perhaps you should mention the expected temperatures that the case should be able to resist and the duration. Eventually, after enough time, the internals of the case will reach the temperature of its surroundings, and as far as I know, there is no SSD that can withstand 2000 °C.

Also...is it just a case for the SSD you're wanting. Or a full PC case that is fireproof?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

It’s for in the car

So cars with gasoline or gas powered could be the biggest problem

If it still repair a bowl,  it’s good enough and in theory!

I checked Iosafe.

But did not find anything specific enough for this case

And no no PC or any other components need to be fire resistance 

2 minutes ago, Royal_Commander_BE said:

It’s for in the car

So cars with gasoline or gas powered could be the biggest problem

If it still repair a bowl,  it’s good enough and in theory!

I checked Iosafe.

But did not find anything specific enough for this case

And no no PC or any other components need to be fire resistance 

There was a video on LTT years ago where they tested a fireproof NAS enclosure, would something like that work for you?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Also saw this  online but it asked 2usb ports.

One for data and power the order for extra power.

And I am searching for a SATA or a ESATA connector to the PCB

He could barely walk with it and I want to drive Bay System

That required an AC power supply so that’s weight on weight on weight 

That’s just the point that I try to avoid.

Plus it means filling up the trunk area and people are not  happy with this kind of solution 

I would look for an alternative solution.

As someone that got his car already burned down once, heat isn't your biggest worry, it's water.

When the firefighters arrived, one of them gave me after a few minutes a ball of foam, turned out it was my satnav.

It looked perfectly fine even tho it was in the glovebox and the engine caught fire (the front-end completely burned down and the air vents in the car were melted, but the fuel in the tank actually didn't burn). It was still dead of course but not because of the heat.

Unless your car catches fire without you near it, you will probably have plenty of time to take out the valuables.

So, what i would do it put it somewhere where you can easily reach it so you can quickly grab and run if you have to.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I was thinking about some fire fome, to fix this issue.

or some M3  compounds to fix that.

Smaller SSD don’t really heat up, so that is not a issue

And recovery disorders  The memory chips anyway to put them on a new board

So they can copy off all the data of it 

i would say the biggest issue by far will always be that you need some kind of connection to the SSD and this will create a weak spot both in terms of heat as well as possible short circuit because the power cables will melt for sure.

We would need some more details about how much heat are we talking and for how long should it survive that heat?

if its just a minute or two with a regular fire it should be possible but beyond this will extremely costly.

@Royal_Commander_BE Have you already considered a fireproof Pelican case? https://www.pelican-case.com/pelican-testimonial-evo.html

You can have your SSD inside, together with a battery providing power for the drive.

There is also sufficient space for other electronic circuits/devices that you would need.

21 minutes ago, Royal_Commander_BE said:

Thanks I will look into it

The main concerns are how long the case will be subjected to the fire and the temperature of its surroundings. If you leave it in the fire long enough, the temperature of the electronics inside the case will eventually reach the temperature of the fire. No electronic component can handle those temperatures.

49 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

i would say the biggest issue by far will always be that you need some kind of connection to the SSD and this will create a weak spot both in terms of heat as well as possible short circuit because the power cables will melt for sure.

We would need some more details about how much heat are we talking and for how long should it survive that heat?

if its just a minute or two with a regular fire it should be possible but beyond this will extremely costly.

Fire resistant wires do exist. However, it always boils down to the same question: how long and what temperatures do they have to be able to resist?

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Fire resistant wires do exist. However, it always boils down to the same question: how long and what temperatures do they have to be able to resist?

Diesel is not really a problem but it’s going to be gasoline and liquid gas in general.

Time that somebody calls in a fire in, between that the firefighter start to cool off the vehicle.

it’s about 30 to 40 minutes max in the worst case scenario’s.

but if it can handle already 20 minutes or 25 minutes I’m super happy about that also

about the electronics

it needs to get a short circuit model but I have also an idea how to build that already

1 minute ago, Royal_Commander_BE said:

Diesel is not really a problem but it’s going to be gasoline and liquid gas in general.

Time that somebody calls in a fire in, between that the firefighter start to cool off the vehicle.

it’s about 30 to 40 minutes max in the worst case scenario’s.

but if it can handle already 20 minutes or 25 minutes I’m super happy about that also

about the electronics

it needs to get a short circuit model but I have also an idea how to build that already

Without going in too much details about thermodynamics and heat transfer: I would suggest buying a large Pelican case and inserting the SSD/battery/electronics/etc. in the centre. Surround the electronics with foamy material to trap air inside. A stagnant gas is a very good thermal insulator, so it will slow down the heating of the electronics.

23 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i'm pretty sure Linus made a video about this

True but was bulky and does an AC power  converter additionally for this project

I wonder if at some point, it might make more sense to encrypt the data (presumably, this is sensitive stuff) and upload to a cloud storage provider rather than invest too much in prolonging a fiery demise?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 hours ago, Royal_Commander_BE said:

True but was bulky and does an AC power  converter additionally for this project

you will need this to be bulky simply because you need a very big thermal barrier.

For example look at this thing here, thats a typ90 storage for solvents it can survive 90 minutes of direct flames to the door and heat all around with no more than 180 kelvin temperature increas eon the inside.

29-201267-030_CLASSIC_stand_XL-t5ae04491

For what you want to protect 180 kelvin is way too much you need to keep the SSD much cooler and therefore you will need big isolating walls that ideally foam up when they heat up to give even more thermal barrier.