"Google Discarded 21,000,000 Takedown Requests in 2013"

TopWargamer

http://torrentfreak.com/google-discarded-21000000-takedown-requests-in-2013-131227/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29

Google discarded 9% of the 235,000,000 allegedly infringing links copyright holders asked the company to remove from its search engine this year. This amounts to 21 million URLs for which Google took no action, either because the requests were illegitimate or were duplicates already submitted in previous notices. NBC Universal, Fox and Lynda.com have the worst track record in this regard as more than a quarter of their requests were discarded.

Ok, cool, Google didn't do anything about 21 million takedown requests. Here's what blows my mind - that 21 million was only 9% of all takedown notices in 2013. So you know what that means? That's a lot of takedown requests. If anybody wants to do the math, by all means, please do it. ANYWAYS, yaa dee yaa yaa, gonna say the same thing that we all already say: people shouldn't be using Google to censor the Internet, because the Internet is not Google's.

COMIC SANS

people shouldn't be using Google to censor the Internet, because the Internet is not Google's.

Google isn't censoring the internet, they're merely adjusting what they want to show on their own website which is entirely up to themselves.

Google isn't censoring the internet, they're merely adjusting what they want to show on their own website which is entirely up to themselves.

I know that, but just about everybody uses Google to the point that it almost seems like whenever Google removes a url from its search engine, it's basically gone from the Internet.

COMIC SANS

I know that, but just about everybody uses Google to the point that it almost seems like whenever Google removes a url from its search engine, it's basically gone from the Internet.

While that may be the case for some people that only know one search engine it really cannot be considered censoring the internet.

(21million*100)/9 = 233.333M total take down requests.

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

The problem is when other entities go to Google to initiate take-downs.

(21million*100)/9 = 233.333M total take down requests.

Just being pedantic but looking at the post at the top there were around 235,000,000 take down requests and they said no to around 21,150,000 of them (9%) so your calculation is backwards  :P

Just being pedantic but looking at the post at the top there were around 235,000,000 take down requests and they said no to around 21,150,000 of them (9%) so your calculation is backwards  :P

:) Yeah, i saw an opportunity to do math so went for it. :P

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

At least Google understands that copyright holders can (and sometimes do) abuse the system, and is taking measures to deter such action.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Google is a privately owned company. They have the right to take down whatever they like. It's not their fault that everyone uses it. Just be glad they aren't charging you $10 a month to use it.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Duck Duck Go, Bing, Yahoo..Alta Vista maybe? There are more search engines.

Though, to be completely honest, removed URLs on a Google search have little to no impact on me. Chances are, the removed links are on shady sites I wouldn't have visited anyway. LTT, Bitcoin forum, Youtube, 4chan, Reddit and a few others are sites I visit more often. Others are usually the result of searching something specific or clicking a link here. Not really the type to hunt down things dodgy enough to be removed off the open interwebs. If you really wanted dodgy content, you wouldn't be using Google to find it anyway.