Water cooled dual xeons still relevant?

I have built to may computers lately for other people and have made the decision that I need to build a sweet system for myself. I have the age old question (and it's getting older)... that is, old server gear or new consumer? I would be going with dual xenon X5690s (6 cores @ 3.46GHz base each) and supermicro MoBo with 7 x16 pcie 2.0 slots and 12 ddr3 dimslots (witch I would fill with 8gb sticks… of course). On the other hand your average 8th gen i7. Buy the time I purchase all the pcie adapters to gain modern i/o it will be around the same price. Regardless I plan on water cooling it with an extremely clean, custom case. Thanks for your input.

New consumer parts all the way unless it's a real steal that can't be turned down, in my opinion.

The Haswell/Broadwell EP chips for example, very cheap on the used market, and basically identical to the consumer grade Haswell/Broadwell chips.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Yeah unless you're only doing rendering 24/7 that can use all cores, it will just perform badly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh yeah, sorry forgot about that terribly important part… It will be used for cad, some video/photo editing and some gaming. thanks

5 minutes ago, northerntech said:

Oh yeah, sorry forgot about that terribly important part… It will be used for cad, some video/photo editing and some gaming. thanks

go 2700x or 8700k then. most of those won't use all the threads well, and numa adds some latency. The age of 1366 is starting to show with things like pcie bandwidth aswell.

6 minutes ago, northerntech said:

As much as I like my socket B servers, I would suggest going with more modern hardware for those workloads.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, northerntech said:

Will you be rendering in cad if so the more RAM you can get the better I know it's not in line with what other people are saying but 12 cores and lots of RAM make a pretty good combination when it comes to doing rendering.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass