Home Security Recommendations

42 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

The only way a smart lock is "smart" is if it's a completely closed circuit. CCTV is secure, building access systems are secure, an IoT/wireless smart lock is NOT secure.

Sure, a "real" lock has its own risks, but those risks are limited to THAT lock at THAT location (e.g.: your front door). Why put more risk in by having to worry about some random company's IT security?

43 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

The only way a smart lock is "smart" is if it's a completely closed circuit. CCTV is secure, building access systems are secure, an IoT/wireless smart lock is NOT secure.

Sure, a "real" lock has its own risks, but those risks are limited to THAT lock at THAT location (e.g.: your front door). Why put more risk in by having to worry about some random company's IT security?

An intruder would most likely try to break the lock or some other part of your house to gain entry such as window rather than trying to get the smart lock to open by security vulnerabilities as it would be somewhat difficult for known manufacturers such as Kwikset. Nothing is fully secure and everything can be bypassed in some way although the exploitation difficulty of different security solutions have the potential to be better than others. If you are concerned towards the smart locks not being secure enough for your needs then I would recommend getting a lock such as the Kwikset Powerbolt 2 which is not going to be able to be opened through exploiting the lock and its code although it is not really a smart lock and is only a electronic keypad lock which would not be able to connect to your phone or any other IoT based device.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Here is a video talking more about opportunistic burglars...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

An intruder would most likely try to break the lock or some other part of your house to gain entry such as window rather than trying to get the smart lock to open by security vulnerabilities as it would be somewhat difficult for known manufacturers such as Kwikset. Nothing is fully secure and everything can be bypassed in some way although the exploitation difficulty of different security solutions have the potential to be better than others. If you are concerned towards the smart locks not being secure enough for your needs then I would recommend getting a lock such as the Kwikset Powerbolt 2 which is not going to be able to be opened through exploiting the lock and its code although it is not really a smart lock and is only a electronic keypad lock which would not be able to connect to your phone or any other IoT based device.

It's not a burglar you have to worry about with a smart lock it's the damn companies that make them you have to worry about:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/254177-internet-things-smart-locks-bricked-bad-firmware-update

Nothing like having a firmware update that's pushed from the vendor bricking your lock...

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2018 at 9:37 PM, Donut417 said:

My sister had a friend who setup IP camera for homes, businesses and even colleges. So IP camera's are the way id go. That will involve running Ethernet to each camera, but the Ethernet cable does both data and power. The you would just need a some what secure area in your home for the DVR. You can get door alarms at any store, just remember to turn them on before you go to bed. If your looking for monitoring I have no suggestions. To be frank I dont think id trust any of these security companies. I mean shit Comcast provides security. No fucking way Id trust those fuck ups. 

@Teddy07 has a fairly good idea. Not sure about the laws in Chicago but a gun might not be a bad idea if you live in a really bad area. The deal here would be how long does it take the police to respond? If its 2 hours like my city then a gun is almost a requirement to stay safe. Next what are the laws in that state. Michgian law is very clear here, if some one enters your house with out permission and you feel scared for you life you have the right to take their life. I remember when the law was changed, because watching the 6 PM news, you got a lot of some ass hole broke in to some ones house and the home owner shot and killed the fucker stores. Now you dont here much about people breaking in to houses. I guess the law works.

Lmao i work for Comcast and our security systems have literally caught a customer's neighbor murder his wife so something is better than nothing.