Video Suggestion: Watercool EVERYTHING

Inspired by your latest video on overclocking everything, I thought it would be a cool idea to make a video where you water-cooled everything. For a long time now, the PC community has been stuck in the rut of making the same-old standard water-cooled cpu/gpu with the same PETG/acrylic hardline. I would love to see a video where you attempted to water cool EVERYTHING humanly possible including but not limited to: cpu, gpu, ram, psu, chipset, vrms, case, hdd, ssd; and maybe peripherals like the monitor all in a closed loop system.

Just to address some objections I saw in the youtube comments:

• Like the "overclock everything" video released today, the point of this is NOT PRACTICABILITY. The LTT channel did not get big off of doing "practical" things with computers. This video would be produced for the mere entertainment and curiosity factor.
  • Yes, I know LTT made a mineral oil cooled PC. Even though the results may be similar, the process of creating a closed loop water cooling system is completely different from oil cooling. Its like comparing apples to oranges...
  • "This would be a pain to build. Not worth the time." This is why Linus has hired several grunts to do his dirty work. (Jake, Alex and Anthony are a few that come to mind...)

Note: this could make a great build for the new Corsair Obsidian 1000D. I don't think Corsair would have any problem sponsoring a video like this :)

27 minutes ago, kxrider85 said:

to water cool EVERYTHING humanly possible including but not limited to: cpu, gpu, ram, psu, chipset, vrms, case, hdd, ssd; and maybe peripherals like the monitor all in a closed loop system

How do you watercool a case, a keyboard, and a case mouse? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

How do you watercool a case, a keyboard, and a case? 

You said case twice.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

I like the idea, it would make for a very interesting video.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

6 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

How do you watercool a case, a keyboard, and a case? 

"Watercooled" case

Keyboard and monitor: ehh i don't know about that. That is for us to suggest and for the LTT team to figure out :)

If it's not possible, it's not possible, but it would be cool to see them try.

18 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

You said case twice.

My bad, I meant mouse :) 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

My bad, I meant mouse :) 

I assumed you meant monitor lol. Water-cooling the mouse seems a bit, well, impossible. Perhaps one could make the argument that LTT can forego water-cooling anything that would clearly inhibit user-experience. Something about two tubes and a wire sticking out of the mouse sounds admit-ably cool, but may render the PC useless for any kind of gaming or productive use...

2 minutes ago, Erest said:

Watercool a mousepad. 9_9

HMMMMMM

Instead of water cooling a PC, why don’t you just customise/alter a PC to make it work fully submerged under water? ;-)

13 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Instead of water cooling a PC, why don’t you just customise/alter a PC to make it work fully submerged under water? ;-)

That would be basically the same as the mineral oil PC though. :/

@VegetableStuI assume you are trying to make a point on where to draw the line? As far as water cooling every hardware component, I think it is totally doable. When it comes to peripherals though, that may be a little bit unreasonable, even for an LTT video. Trying to watercool half the peripherals you mentioned would be completely unjustifiable. At least you can make the argument that watercooling hardware components looks cool.

Like the overclocking video and the mineral oil pc video, its not so much about doing something that has never been done before, rather it is more about documenting over-the-top things that maybe only a few people have had the time, money, and resources to care to do.

Just to reiterate, big water cooling projects among tech youtubers have been slow lately. JayzTwoCents' Skunkworks is very cool, but it is still just your standard, practical cpu/gpu loop. The last truly unique water cooling project was probably "Whole Room Watercooling." I don't think this video would top that, but the point is that a video like this would be a good way to stand out from the "status quo" of water cooling projects that has been culminating for the past couple of years. Maybe no one else feels this way, but I think the watercooling scene has been pretty boring for the past couple of years. I just thought this would be a good solution. 

On 25/06/2018 at 1:08 AM, Erest said:

Watercool a mousepad. 9_9

"...To reduce heat build up from all those 360 no-scopes I watercool my mousepad..." - Some Gaming Douchebag :P

On 6/25/2018 at 9:44 AM, r2724r16 said:

How do you watercool a case, a keyboard, and a case mouse? 

The NZXT Celsius S36 can make anything cooler B|

I could’ve swore they did this already. And not submerging in mineral water I mean. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I could’ve swore they did this already. And not submerging in mineral water I mean. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen every build Linus has ever done for LTT on youtube. Not once has he water cooled anything more than the cpu/gpu. He did make this video with NCIX where he water cooled the RAM in addition to the cpu/gpu but that's it lol.

What if they watercooled the ENTIRE OFFICE!?!?! Oh wait...been there done that.

I guess the only thing to do is watercool the employees, which will mean a 10 minute video and a very wet Dennis (as per the fans requests).

P.S - A "wet Dennis" should definitely become a euphemism for something.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

On 6/24/2018 at 4:35 PM, kxrider85 said:

Inspired by your latest video on overclocking everything, I thought it would be a cool idea to make a video where you water-cooled everything. For a long time now, the PC community has been stuck in the rut of making the same-old standard water-cooled cpu/gpu with the same PETG/acrylic hardline. I would love to see a video where you attempted to water cool EVERYTHING humanly possible including but not limited to: cpu, gpu, ram, psu, chipset, vrms, case, hdd, ssd; and maybe peripherals like the monitor all in a closed loop system.

Just to address some objections I saw in the youtube comments:

• Like the "overclock everything" video released today, the point of this is NOT PRACTICABILITY. The LTT channel did not get big off of doing "practical" things with computers. This video would be produced for the mere entertainment and curiosity factor.
  • Yes, I know LTT made a mineral oil cooled PC. Even though the results may be similar, the process of creating a closed loop water cooling system is completely different from oil cooling. Its like comparing apples to oranges...
  • "This would be a pain to build. Not worth the time." This is why Linus has hired several grunts to do his dirty work. (Jake, Alex and Anthony are a few that come to mind...)

Note: this could make a great build for the new Corsair Obsidian 1000D. I don't think Corsair would have any problem sponsoring a video like this :)

They have Done this b4, look at the mineral water PC

2 minutes ago, Hugh_Mungus said:

They have Done this b4, look at the mineral water PC

On 6/24/2018 at 6:35 PM, kxrider85 said:

Yes, I know LTT made a mineral oil cooled PC. Even though the results may be similar, the process of creating a closed loop water cooling system is completely different from oil cooling. Its like comparing apples to oranges...

2 hours ago, kxrider85 said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen every build Linus has ever done for LTT on youtube. Not once has he water cooled anything more than the cpu/gpu. He did make this video with NCIX where he water cooled the RAM in addition to the cpu/gpu but that's it lol.

Didn’t they showcase a water cooled PSU once? 

Maybe im thinking of another youtuber. 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

Didn’t they showcase a water cooled PSU once? 

Maybe im thinking of another youtuber. 

I just checked. Linus did actually make a video on water cooled power supply. I don't know how I've forgotten about it, but here it is. For testing purposes, I think they put it in a loop with a CPU on a test bench. I think my point still stands though :P

So far this build is looking very possible though. CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, hard drive/ssds, and various heat producing motherboard components. I'm still not to sure about the case or an extras though, I'm sure they could figure that out.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:35 AM, kxrider85 said:
  • The LTT channel did not get big off of doing "practical" things with computers. This video would be produced for the mere entertainment and curiosity factor.

Well actually they did. They used to have fantastic guides about PC builds and how to setup various things. Some of the watercooling guides were really well done as were product reviews.

Now, not so much.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Well actually they did. They used to have fantastic guides about PC builds and how to setup various things. Some of the watercooling guides were really well done as were product reviews.

Now, not so much.

I loved their PC build guides. That was how I found LTT and learned to build computers. Although they did make a few budget build guides and stuff, I would like to make the point that the most successful video of that "era of build guides" was their "Overkill" pc build guide, receiving 3.7 million views (4 years ago!). If you want to see other examples of this, feel free to check through LTT's most popular videos. Very few of them are very practical.

14 minutes ago, kxrider85 said:

I loved their PC build guides. That was how I found LTT and learned to build computers. Although they did make a few budget build guides and stuff, I would like to make the point that the most successful video of that "era of build guides" was their "Overkill" pc build guide, receiving 3.7 million views (4 years ago!). If you want to see other examples of this, feel free to check through LTT's most popular videos. Very few of them are very practical.

I'm well aware. I'm referring back to 2014 and earlier when the content was actually good.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Independent VRM waterblocks were a thing not that many years ago. I always thought it looked really cool having the tubing bounce across three or four blocks on just the motherboard. There's one company making vrm waterblocks for GPUs as of about two years ago, I'll see if I can find my notes on them.

I'd like to see that direct die, nudeCNC I think it was, used again. With custom VRM, blocks, memory blocks if they're still around, chipset block, monoblock GPU is fine, it's perfectly practical, with the water cooled PSU and HDD waterblocks (if you can still get them?) 

Monitor could be pulled into the loop, for the controller/inverter boards, though completely custom. LED backlighting has cut the heat emitted by drastically over the last 5 years though.

I actually really like the idea of a water cooled mousepad, except the heat from everything else means that the loop is above ambient, unless some kind of chiller is used, so you'd actually be heating the majority of the mousepad.

1 hour ago, kxrider85 said:

I just checked. Linus did actually make a video on water cooled power supply. I don't know how I've forgotten about it, but here it is. For testing purposes, I think they put it in a loop with a CPU on a test bench. I think my point still stands though :P

So far this build is looking very possible though. CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, hard drive/ssds, and various heat producing motherboard components. I'm still not to sure about the case or an extras though, I'm sure they could figure that out.

Yeah, I thought for a quick joke they water cooled the whole PC. I didn't rewatch the video but if they didn't do a whole water cooled PC, then I must've been mistaken.