Online retailers will now have to collect sales tax in the US

SteveGrabowski0
7 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

yeah but being able to avoid taxes with online sales saves a lot of money. taxes have gone up.. just not sales tax. how about that 25 cents on gas? 

I know it feels like a victimless crime, but intentionally buying stuff online to avoid sales tax is tax fraud.

If you buy something online that doesn't charge sales tax, you're supposed to claim that purchase on your income taxes.

I assume you don't though, since if you did, it wouldn't "save a lot of money".

Also, gas tax: Want to save on your gas tax? Replace your vehicle with an Electric, or with one that is extremely good on fuel (Hybrid or ultra efficient small 4cyl engine, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All online shoppers? Fek... 

so much for bidding .01 Cent on eBay. 

On 6/21/2018 at 8:17 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The Supreme Court just handed down a 5-4 decision in favor of South Dakota in South Dakota Vs Wafair. Of course every state is going to follow South Dakota's lead in collecting sales tax on online purchases now that precedent has been established by the Supreme Court.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-rules-in-internet-sales-tax-case/

So If I buy something online and have it shipped to a PO box to a state that doesn't have sales tax like Oregon Will I have to pay sales tax? I don't think I would be charged because they determine that using your shipping address. One could then have the postal service Ship the contents of that PO box to their personal address. Of course I would never so this because i'm too lazy. @SteveGrabowski0

22 hours ago, Pretzel4000 said:

That's why I live in New Hampshire. No sales tax, no income tax.

Hell yeah. I also live in a tax free state.

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah but the guy bitching about it is from my state. The only thing that went up is tobacco. For us non smokers thats great news becuase I hate smoking and having to deal with second hand smoke. So Im cool with taxing the hell out of the smokers. 

It's *great* people who do something I don't like are taxed! Hurt the hell out of those people.. right? - What goes around comes around man when the tax man comes for you who's going to help you?

I generally don't have too bad of an issue with State taxes as opposed to federal. States actually need to keep a balanced budget and are more responsible with the money (and they actually provide all the things people like, schools, hospitals, police, roads etc) but you should never cheer at a tax.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

2 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Hell yeah. I also live in a tax free state.

It's *great* people who do something I don't like are taxed! Hurt the hell out of those people.. right? - What goes around comes around man when the tax man comes for you who's going to help you?

I generally don't have too bad of an issue with State taxes as opposed to federal. States actually need to keep a balanced budget.. but you should never cheer at a tax.

The smoker is already hurting him, it's self-defence

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

4 minutes ago, Centurius said:

The smoker is already hurting him, it's self-defence

Freedom requires each of us to allow others to do things we don't approve of personally. If everyone only did what we liked the concept would be meaningless.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

1 hour ago, Hugh_Mungus said:

So If I buy something online and have it shipped to a PO box to a state that doesn't have sales tax like Oregon Will I have to pay sales tax? I don't think I would be charged because they determine that using your shipping address. One could then have the postal service Ship the contents of that PO box to their personal address. @SteveGrabowski0

In this situation, you would be liable to pay the sales tax by claiming the purchase during your Income Tax, when tax season hits.

That sounds like significantly more work to keep track of all your purchases a year, and to make sure you've got the money set aside to pay for all these sales taxes - rather than just paying the sales tax upfront during the purchase, so you don't have to keep track of it.

Unless you mean to use a PO box to hide your purchases and illegally avoid taxes? If so, that's straight up tax fraud, man. It's one thing being ignorant of your tax laws, but what you propose is outright active intentional tax fraud.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 6/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, Mooshi said:

I use a dummy address because my state charges sales tax on ANY online purchase already.

97e.jpg.8da7d764ea86bed92d0173b3a37023ee.jpg

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer