wait for 9th gen intel processors?

hi guys so im building my first gaming pc and would like to ask if it's worth to wait for the 9th gen intel processor coming out in October (?? not sure about the date) or should i just get the current gen 8700k. surely 6c -> 8c will be a huge bump but i wanna know your thoughts guys

EDIT: i have also decided to wait for the next gen nvidia gpus.  so if i were to get an 8700k ATM i would just be using its integrated gpu

Depends on the games you're going to play. A few can use those extra cores but most won't - four cores is usually all that is needed for gaming.

1 minute ago, Hurican7 said:

Depends on the games you're going to play. A few can use those extra cores but most won't - four cores is usually all that is needed for gaming.

i plan to play blizzard games (WoW, SC2, D3), Dota2 and AAA games like fallout 76, the new AC game. 

is having an 8c considered as "futureproofing" for games? or a 6c processor is already "futureproofed" for games.

No component is future proof. Some people years back said that 512KB of ram will be the best, and won't be beaten. Look where we are now. Playing a game with a 6 core against an 8 core, wont be an impact to the performance as games today don't use those extra cores.

hi.

9th gen is only coming in 2019/2020 what is coming is a Coffee Lake 8th gen 8 cores cpu (8790K)

Just to clear that up... either ways if all you do is game the i7 8700K is more than enough for this purpose already, gotta understand single thread wise they will be pretty much the same, latency might even damage a little as Ring Bus is most optimal up to 6 cores, 8 cores is the max it supports but already decreasing that sweet low latency...

Reason why the i9 HEDT CPUs use Mesh which is "inferior" but at such high core counts the better solution nonetheless.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Just to clear that up... either ways if all you do is game the i7 8700K is more than enough for this purpose already, gotta understand single thread wise they will be pretty much the same, latency might even damage a little as Ring Bus is most optimal up to 6 cores, 8 cores is the max it supports but already decreasing that sweet low latency...

thanks for this, ill just get the 8700k for now and upgrade about 4-5 years from now

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

9th gen is only coming in 2019/2020 what is coming is a Coffee Lake 8th gen 8 cores cpu (8790K)

And "8th" gen Coffee Lake is just "7th" gen Kaby Lake with more cores...

Because Ryzen forcing Intel to finally increase consumer platform core count from four reached ten years earlier.

While that Kaby Lake was "6th" gen Skylake with clock speed increase.

And Intel certainly won't be allowing updating to actually new CPU without also paying for new motherboard.

That's where AMD platform actually has change to pull ahead of Coffee Lake PCs with AM4 socket being supported to 2020 allowing easy upgrade to Zen2 architecture CPUs made on actually new manufacturing process.

3 minutes ago, EsaT said:

That's where AMD platform actually has change to pull ahead of Coffee Lake PCs with AM4 socket being supported to 2020 allowing easy upgrade to Zen2 architecture CPUs made on actually new manufacturing process.

would you guys recommend purchasing a ryzen 2700x over an 8700K for gaming?

1 minute ago, BrandonSing said:

If you don't want to do "interim" upgrades and can accept CPU becoming step below top after few years then Coffee Lake is better choise.

In most games it has advantage over Ryzen currently.

But except some best fit for Intel architecture games, difference isn't anything big and I have little doubt that Zen2 and its tweak year later surpass Coffee Lake.

Situation is now simply more even than it has been in 10+ years.

23 minutes ago, BrandonSing said:

Unless you are doing core heavy workloads and/or streaming while playing games then id suggest the 8700k. Just remember to overclock to make the most of the CPU

23 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Unless you are doing core heavy workloads and/or streaming while playing games then id suggest the 8700k. Just remember to overclock to make the most of the CPU

thank you. i will go with 8700k.  also would you happen to know if using the igpu of a cpu degrade or shortens the life of a cpu?

5 minutes ago, BrandonSing said:

thank you. i will go with 8700k.  also would you happen to know if using the igpu of a cpu degrade or shortens the life of a cpu?

No it doesnt. The iGPU is doing pretty much nothing. 

The iGPU is a nice perk for troubleshooting. Not somrthing you will often use, but its there if you ever have to use it

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

No it doesnt. The iGPU is doing pretty much nothing. 

The iGPU is a nice perk for troubleshooting. Not somrthing you will often use, but its there if you ever have to use it

im planning to use the igpu in the 8700k cause im waiting for the next gen nvidia gpu and i currently dont have any gpu now so yeah im gonna use the igpu

im planning to use the igpu in the 8700k cause im waiting for the next gen nvidia gpu and i currently dont have any gpu now so yeah im gonna use the igpu

Oh please dont. Rather grab a 2400G then and a X470 board to then get a better GPU from Nvidia by saving some money. Then in 2019-2020 grab a 3000/4000 series Ryzen.

Like the iGPU can play games, but lets just say its underwhealing. The iGPU in the 2400G will outperform it with ease

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Oh please dont. Rather grab a 2400G then and a X470 board to then get a better GPU from Nvidia by saving some money. Then in 2019-2020 grab a 3000/4000 series Ryzen.

Like the iGPU can play games, but lets just say its underwhealing. The iGPU in the 2400G will outperform it with ease

with the iGPU i dont plan on playing games (except maybe hearthstone) and watch yt videos while waiting for the next gen gpu will that be okay with the igpu of 8700k?

with the iGPU i dont plan on playing games (except maybe hearthstone) and watch yt videos while waiting for the next gen gpu will that be okay with the igpu of 8700k?

Oh, if thats the case it just works fine. 

The intel iGPU is decent at a lot of stuff. Just not gaming, and other workloads. 

Watching video is just fine.

AMD still hasnt figured out 4K streaming in netflix on the Vega GPUs due to some wierd drm/something issue with Netflixplayer

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Oh, if thats the case it just works fine.

also i use a 1440p 144hz monitor ... idk if that gives more stress to the igpu but it'll be fine right?

14 minutes ago, BrandonSing said:

also i use a 1440p 144hz monitor ... idk if that gives more stress to the igpu but it'll be fine right?

Will stress it a bit more. But for you initial workload it will be fine. You wont be able to run it at 144hz due to the Hdmi output though

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Will stress it a bit more. But for you initial workload it will be fine. You wont be able to run it at 144hz due to the Hdmi output though

no worries. thanks for the advice!! (hopefully nvidia announces on july 30 so that i can get my hands on the next gen gpus earlier)

4 minutes ago, BrandonSing said:

no worries. thanks for the advice!! (hopefully nvidia announces on july 30 so that i can get my hands on the next gen gpus earlier)

In case that doesnt happen. The current cards are dropping in price slowly. The used market is also filling up with last gen or current gen cards. 

31 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

In case that doesnt happen. The current cards are dropping in price slowly. The used market is also filling up with last gen or current gen cards. 

yup that's the plan !!

If Intel keeps the same TDP they will use the same old trick of a low base clock and high turbo. There could be a 1.5GHZ+ difference in the 8 core one. That would mean high heat potential and high power consumption.

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

10 minutes ago, rukspuks said:

If Intel keeps the same TDP they will use the same old trick of a low base clock and high turbo. There could be a 1.5GHZ+ difference in the 8 core one. That would mean high heat potential and high power consumption.

TDP isn't based on the base clock.  It's mostly a made-up value anyway.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

TDP isn't based on the base clock.  It's mostly a made-up value anyway.

Most of the times, at least before the coffee lake, it gave a good idea of the wattage.

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

1 minute ago, rukspuks said:

Most of the times, at least before the coffee lake, it gave a good idea of the wattage.

It really didn't.  A 2.4GHz and 3.4GHz  CPU could have the same TDP.  They just threw them into groups.  You knew that a 65W CPU would run hotter than a 95W one, but the 65W ones were never similar in heat output.  People learned a long time ago not to rely on the rated TDP.  It's not a "trick", companies just assign a ballpark number to each CPU.

TDP is only indirectly related to power consumption anyway.  It's the rated (but again, not really rated because it's never been accurate) output via heat, not input.  Each architecture has had a different level of efficiency, which is why the output is always lower with new generations when the rest of the specs are the same.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440