wait for 9th gen intel processors?

18 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It really didn't.  A 2.4GHz and 3.4GHz  CPU could have the same TDP.  They just threw them into groups.  You knew that a 65W CPU would run hotter than a 95W one, but the 65W ones were never similar in heat output.  People learned a long time ago not to rely on the rated TDP.  It's not a "trick", companies just assign a ballpark number to each CPU.

TDP is only indirectly related to power consumption anyway.  It's the rated (but again, not really rated because it's never been accurate) output via heat, not input.  Each architecture has had a different level of efficiency, which is why the output is always lower with new generations when the rest of the specs are the same.

I put my point in one chart from Anandtech

91808.png

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

10 minutes ago, rukspuks said:

I put my point in one chart from Anandtech

91808.png

Yeah....that just proved my point.  It's very much a made up number, designed to categorize them.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah....that just proved my point.  It's very much a made up number, designed to categorize them.

How does that prove your point?:o Most CPUs from Intel are under the TDP at least the non-k ones.:)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

7 hours ago, BrandonSing said:

EDIT: i have also decided to wait for the next gen nvidia gpus.  so if i were to get an 8700k ATM i would just be using its integrated gpu

smart fella....

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

18 hours ago, rukspuks said:

How does that prove your point?:o Most CPUs from Intel are under the TDP at least the non-k ones.:)

A 38W chip is rated at 65W.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

A 38W chip is rated at 65W.

Which is correct mathematically.

Other System (Laptop)

1 hour ago, rukspuks said:

Which is correct mathematically.

It doesn't. I feel like I might be a victim of trolling, but maybe you just don't understand TDP (which is okay). If that's the case, hopefully this will help:

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It doesn't. I feel like I might be a victim of trolling, but maybe you just don't understand TDP (which is okay). If that's the case, hopefully this will help:

I do think that you don't want to understand my point or your ego is coming in the way. TDP does give a nice presumption of wattage as I have shown with the graph. You can easily identify that a 65W TDP processor will consume less power than a 95W and a 95W than a 140W. And, most of the times the wattage will be less than TDP under normal load considering you are not running power viruses like Prime95.

Other System (Laptop)