Headphones for gaming / music

Go to solution Solved by Max_Settings,
9 minutes ago, TheFuriousGoat said:

I actually think i'm just going to spend a bit more for the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 ohm headphones. Are they worth the extra price? (They are about $195 USD, but I can buy them used for about $150 USD)

I would go with the 880 over the 990. 990 is WAY too much treble IMO.

I was originally thinking of getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X , but then I saw the Sennheiser HD 579 Open Back Headphone for roguishly the same price ($100 usd).

What would be the better option for gaming / listening to music, and what is the major difference if there is one?

I play games such as Titanfall 3, CS:GO, Skyrim, and Rocket League.

I have had no experience with either but have you considered something like the hyper x cloud 2 headset?

I have one and I love it great for gaming and for listening to music from your phone or any other device that has a 3.5mm jack.

In my opinion they are very well made and have excellent sound quality.

Or you have studio quality sound from the cloud revolver s headset my friend has a pair and they are excellent for gaming and exceptional for music listening

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

I prefer non-gaming headsets for playing games.  I recommend getting the Sennheiser HD 579.  I like the quality of Sennheiser but I do recommend getting a different cable for the Sennheiser headphone.  

If its just for pure gaming, i will go for the AD700X. BUT if you want something for overall use like gaming, music and movies, it will be the HD579 imo..

Note: they are open back so they leak sound..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

9 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

If its just for pure gaming, i will go for the AD700X. BUT if you want something for overall use like gaming, music and movies, it will be the HD579 imo..

Note: they are open back so they leak sound..

I'd agree with this, though I don't have the HD579, I did have the HD555 and presently own the AD700X. I'd say that even though both are somewhat lacking in bass, my opinion is, it's more so with the AD700X. The AD700X would be better for gaming with its wider soundstage, and perhaps better imaging. I'd enjoyed music with my HD555 (more than the AD700X) and is pretty decent for games (despite soundstage being narrower, with pretty decent imaging as well) so overall usage scenario would be the HD579.

As nicobombai had pointed out, these are open back cans and leak sound out (anyone nearby may be able to hear you, and perhaps be irritated by it) as well as leak sound in (being open back, they allow extraneous sound in, which may annoy you) so best be aware of the limitations of open back cans.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Would they leak enough sound for a condenser microphone from about 1ft away to pick up feed back? I would assume maybe a little bit, but not as near much as my speakers. Anyway, thank you for the info.

3 hours ago, TheFuriousGoat said:

Would they leak enough sound for a condenser microphone from about 1ft away to pick up feed back? I would assume maybe a little bit, but not as near much as my speakers. Anyway, thank you for the info.

I don't use a mic.....ever, so I can't comment on this. Logically, the louder you have it, the more sound tends to leak out of the cans. I suppose under normal sane loudness setting at 'loud enough' volume, it should be okay. But it seriously depends on how one defines 'loud enough',

I have a friend who listens to his headphone at a certain volume which he says is loud enough and is comfortable with. I tried on that headphone and it was almost loud enough to burst my eardrums, I couldn't last 5 seconds with that level of loudness. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

ATH-AD700(x) would be one of the best possible gaming headphones for "competitiveness"/details.

But bass is below even neutral with pretty much non-existing lower bass, so "fun factor" is pretty bad.

5 hours ago, TheFuriousGoat said:

If sound leak to mic becomes problem you yourself will get fast bigger problems in serious hearing loss.

For example keyboard sounds are lot stronger, and noise of mechanical keyboard magnitudes stronger.

I think i'll go with some other type of headphones that have a bit more bass. Does anyone have any recommendations around the same price range? I would prefer them to be over ear headphones, on ear headphones just seem to hurt after a while, at least the ones I have tried. Thank you all again for these fast replies!

1 hour ago, TheFuriousGoat said:

I think i'll go with some other type of headphones that have a bit more bass. Does anyone have any recommendations around the same price range? I would prefer them to be over ear headphones, on ear headphones just seem to hurt after a while, at least the ones I have tried. Thank you all again for these fast replies!

On ear stuff aren't headphones, those are ear crushers...

Assuming they aren't ready to fall of from smallest movement of head.

While not strong on bass HD579 isn't exactly bassless, so for the price it's likely one of the better choises.

Pricing variations between regions are weird.

Here in Europe for same price as HD579 there's AKG K702, which is at that aural god mode level for details, but has better bass than ATH-AD700x.

Also AKG K612 has little more bass than K702, at small expense of details.

And then there's Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro with very good balance of bass punch and step below top details.

2 hours ago, InvertedEar said:

Which one do you value more? Gaming or music?

Gaming

46 minutes ago, TheFuriousGoat said:

Gaming

By all means, HD579 or the K702.

Be advised, in a competitive aspect, those two are your best bet. From a casual gamer's aspect, where you want some sense of fun in it, these might not be the ones for you.

18 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

By all means, HD579 or the K702.

For some reason AKGs are expensive compared to Sennheiser in US so AKG might be out of picture.

While (bassless) Audio-Technicas are cheap in there and expensive in Europe.

Must be about logistics, because it sure ain't logic...

11 minutes ago, EsaT said:

For some reason AKGs are expensive compared to Sennheiser in US so AKG might be out of picture.

While (bassless) Audio-Technicas are cheap in there and expensive in Europe.

Must be about logistics, because it sure ain't logic...

Honestly, the 598, K702, and the AD700X are pretty much tied if you want incredible imaging and soundstage. Probably HD800 level of it.

1 hour ago, InvertedEar said:

Honestly, the 598, K702, and the AD700X are pretty much tied if you want incredible imaging and soundstage. Probably HD800 level of it.

As an owner of both the ATH-AD700X and a HD800 + SDR Mod, I can say that the HD800 has a wider soundstage plus better imaging.....imo anyway.

9 hours ago, GamerDude said:

As an owner of both the ATH-AD700X and a HD800 + SDR Mod, I can say that the HD800 has a wider soundstage plus better imaging.....imo anyway.

Reason I said those three are at the level of the HD800 is because headphones with wider soundstage and more precise imaging are in even more unobtanium levels of pricing or aren't really around in production anymore, and the ones that are close to the HD800 in terms of soundstage and imaging are very few TBH.

9 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Did you test with binaural sound?

Stereo music isn't good for testing true gaming capabilities.

In fact it forgives insanely lot.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, TheFuriousGoat said:

I actually think i'm just going to spend a bit more for the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 ohm headphones. Are they worth the extra price? (They are about $195 USD, but I can buy them used for about $150 USD)

On 6/14/2018 at 8:14 PM, Max_Settings said:

I ended up getting the 880's a couple days ago (I bought them used to save a bit of money). THEY ARE GREAT! Thank you!

7 minutes ago, TheFuriousGoat said:

I ended up getting the 880's a couple days ago (I bought them used to save a bit of money). THEY ARE GREAT! Thank you!

No problem, always happy to help.