Do games load faster when you have a SSD but the games are installed on an HDD?

Hey, I was just curious and couldn't find anything about it - do your games load faster when you have a SSD with your operating system but your games are installed on an HDD or maybe even slower because afaik the game needs to work with the OS and it could be faster because these parts are loaded faster or slower because it's another drive. I had a .jar game and had it on my main PC with a SSD (Java is installed on the SSD but the .jar was on the HDD and it was noticeably faster than on my notebook which only has an HDD but it could be due to the fact that my notebook cpu is a lot weaker)  Any thoughts about it?

Yes there are many things that games use to run which aren't part of the game/program, they are part of (or installed alongside) the OS. (eg. java, vc++, etc)

So yes an SSD can make a difference even if the game files aren't on it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes there are many things that games use to run which aren't part of the game/program, they are part of (or installed alongside) the OS. (eg. java, vc++, etc)

So yes an SSD can make a difference even if the game files aren't on it.

To expand on this, if for example the game calls for an API, that is something the OS would have. If it calls for an asset, that is something the hard drive would have. You need both things. Anything you can do to reduce the time to satisfy the game's request for either thing will make it load faster.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

If there was some improvement, it would be extremely small.

Like enderman says, when a game loads, the video card's driver will load from the SSD, the operating system may load some files from the SSD, and those will be loaded faster, but they're only loaded once when the game start. Afterwards when new levels are loaded, or saved games are loaded, the SSD won't affect how the game works.

Also if you're low on memory (ram) and you have swap file on SSD and you tab between game and other applications, you may find going back into the game is faster if you alt-tabbed.

No

Jar is a packed file, it's almost the same like compressed file (rar/zip)

If this about minecraft then the game had too repack every jar files after it downloaded so yes unpack it will be faster since it cached on SSD instead HDD no matter where is the game located, your cache download will always goes to where your OS installed.

It wasn't Minecraft :D Thanks for the replies - even though I'm now confused :) Is there any testing? A video or something like that? I couldn't find anything