LG Q7 released - the G7's smaller, cooler brother

Djole123
7 hours ago, Djole123 said:

The source I cited suggests a Snapdragon 43x, the Q6 had a 435.

To be fair, the 435 is a perfectly capable chip, it's got 8, while not powerful, still decent cores.

435 is alright but also a little slow by today’s standards. I’ve used the Nokia 6 2017 with an identical chipset and it felt a little sluggish.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

These are A53 cores we're looking at though, which are way less powerful than the A73 based Kryo 260 cores in the Snapdragon 636

Tbh, Cortex A53 at high clock speeds seem sufficient for a lot of basic use cases. Android in general is really well optimized for many small cores.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

435 is alright but also a little slow by today’s standards. I’ve used the Nokia 6 2017 with an identical chipset and it felt a little sluggish.

Well, it looks like everyone will buy the latest Motorola Moto G phone instead if we see specs like that. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

Well, it looks like everyone will buy the latest Motorola Moto G phone instead if we see specs like that. 

Or the new Nokia phones 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, Rupe said:

No it's there because you need a place to put things like the camera and speaker. It creates more screen not less

Yeah that little bit of extra screen is so important that you have part of the image being covered up by a damn notch. I mean I would rather see the whole picture on a smaller screen than see part of it on a bigger one. I mean the screen size difference is so small but not being able to see part of the image is kinda a big deal, at least it is to me.

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, Cortex A53 at high clock speeds seem sufficient for a lot of basic use cases. Android in general is really well optimized for many small cores.

An SD435 is adequate but looks pretty underpowered in comparison to the phones in its class packing SD630 and SD636 SoCs

24 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

An SD435 is adequate but looks pretty underpowered in comparison to the phones in its class packing SD630 and SD636 SoCs

The LG Q6 had the same problem! It just got ignored because other phones had better specs for the money. Even Apple seems to pack more value with the iPhone SE... 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

The LG Q6 had the same problem! It just got ignored because other phones had better specs for the money. Even Apple seems to pack more value with the iPhone SE... 

It's just like the Samsung Galaxy J phones 

Except the J phones sell because it's Samsung. LG doesn't have the same recognition and the G4 plus G5 kinda left customers with the old "Lucky Goodstar" image 

15 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

From a pure objective standpoint, curving the display around the sensors (aka, the "Notch") would be only advantageous with a good status bar implementation. Use of OLED (or on LCD, an extra OLED strip could be used along the top) to show only battery life, time, notifications, etc against a black background can allow use of the space without making it visually contrasting. 

Where I see the opposition to the "notch" is how the empty area encroaches upon your actual frame (the stuff you want to see), which I would agree wholeheartedly with.

I think LG was among the first ones to go with this trend with their secondary screen on the V10.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah that little bit of extra screen is so important that you have part of the image being covered up by a damn notch. I mean I would rather see the whole picture on a smaller screen than see part of it on a bigger one. I mean the screen size difference is so small but not being able to see part of the image is kinda a big deal, at least it is to me.

But this is not how it is implemented. It shows notifications and battery and the such but when their is content like a video or game it black bars, so it's just like having an ordinary screen. (Or you can set it so it cuts off part of the image if you prefer)

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 hour ago, Rupe said:

But this is not how it is implemented. It shows notifications and battery and the such but when their is content like a video or game it black bars, so it's just like having an ordinary screen. (Or you can set it so it cuts off part of the image if you prefer)

That depends on the implementation.

I know Android P will add universal support so apps getting parts of their UX chopped off won’t be a thing.....hopefully 

21 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah. I can't stand the notch or rounded corners. You're essentially making a phone screen that is incapable of showing the entire image that the GPU is rendering

just a FYI... your cat is high... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 5/27/2018 at 8:02 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

Sufficient, sure. Not as good? Definitely. Going from a SD810 OnePlus 2 that, because of how OnePlus handled burst workloads, essentially used A53s during web browsing to a SD835 I noticed an improvement in website loading time.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 5/27/2018 at 11:29 AM, Rupe said:

So if some of the top bezel had been screen it would be a worse phone?

yes. Having some bezel on top and bottom makes it much easier to hold the phone. No bezel at all would mean I am constantly accidentally touching the side of the screen.