8600k (oc'ed) or 8700

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

i7 8700 will not bottleneck a 1070 in fact a i7 8700 does not bottleneck even a 1080 Ti still, the i5 8600k at 5ghz will hardly if at all give more "gaming performance" as the i7 is perfectly capable of maxing out your GPU and you mentioned something about rendering and 3d modeling those things will benefit a bit more from the Hyper-Threading than the extra 500mhz frequency.

If you want to overclock get the i7 8700K the i5 8600K in my opinion is not worth it even for a gaming specific rig when the i7 8700 already has such a strong clock boost of 4.3ghz ~4.4ghz if you mess around and costs the same if not cheaper when we count in for the cheaper motherboard and cooling.

to begin with, im aware the 8700 will have a lower usage while gaming which will help multitasking

But i believe the 8600k oc'ed to 5ghz may be better for gaming

Please keep in mind i do a lot of things while gaming so 6 more threads? or a higher clocked speed.

i can use a b360 mobo with a 8700 but z370 with the 8600k

I will be 3d modeling in audodesk inventor, maya and others ;)

if you multi task  -  Threads >speed.. if only gaming Speed > Threads 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ask yourself: Is multitasking more important, or is gaming more important.

An 8600K OCD to 5GHZ will perform better than an i7 8700 in games, and in multi threaded applications like video editing, an i7 8700 will perform better.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

What will last me longer?

Plus, i've never oc'ed would rather stay away from it for now.

the 8700 also has more cache but uses less electricity

2 minutes ago, Alissa said:

I doubt that makes a difference in real life, the electricity usage probably won't be much different either

7 minutes ago, Alissa said:

Plus, i've never oc'ed would rather stay away from it for now.

It's pretty easy nowadays

8 minutes ago, Alissa said:

What will last me longer?

The 8700 probably will, but 6 cores on the 8600k and the overclocking potential should be more than enough for another 4 years unless you want the be on the bleeding edge

3 minutes ago, Alissa said:

well, to narrow this down, what resolution are you going to play at? what video card? 5ghz won't make a difference unless you want really high framerate on 1080p.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

i'm not just gaming, there will be backround programs. music, but some times background 3d modeling

Just now, Alissa said:

i'm not just gaming, there will be backround programs. music, but some times background 3d modeling

then i think you should go with the 8700, 144hz is easy to achieve on both CPU's, but i think the 8700 will benefit you greatly with 3D rendering.

just don't forget to get Dual Channel Ram.

8700 also has a lower tdp allowing easier cooling, and more silent operation

Just now, syn2112 said:

then i think you should go with the 8700, 144hz is easy to achieve on both CPU's, but i think the 8700 will benefit you greatly with 3D rendering.

just don't forget to get Dual Channel Ram.

i highly agree thank you it was very informative.

Just now, Alissa said:

i highly agree thank you it was very informative.

you're welcome :)

6 minutes ago, Alissa said:

1080 144hz, gtx 1070.

The 8600k will achieve ever so slightly higher FPS if that matters

5 minutes ago, Alissa said:

I'm not sure why you would do 3d rendering in the background while gaming, but for other things, even the 8600k will do. However, the 8700 will be faster for dedicated 3d rendering

2 minutes ago, Alissa said:

8700 also has a lower tdp allowing easier cooling, and more silent operation

The 8700 comes with a stock cooler which will work fine, if you do get the 8600k, you'll have to grab your own cooler anyway which will likely be quieter

i plan to get the nh-u14s

20 minutes ago, YaqinHasan said:

The 8600k will achieve ever so slightly higher FPS if that matters

with a GTX 1070 there won't be much difference in FPS on both CPU's, you'll be likely limited by your GPU instead of CPU.
but both CPU's can achieve above 144 FPS if you lower your graphics settings for sure, it won't matter if 5ghz gets you 200 and the i7 8700 gets you 180 (FOR EXAMPLE), monitor is 144hz so anything above that is meaningless.

people should understand that if you have a GTX 1050TI and you get 50 FPS on an i3, it doesn't mean if you get an i7 youll get higher FPS, in that scenario the limit (bottleneck) is the GPU.

4 hours ago, Alissa said:

to begin with, im aware the 8700 will have a lower usage while gaming which will help multitasking

Please keep in mind i do a lot of things while gaming so 6 more threads? or a higher clocked speed.

If you haven't already purchased your CPU and motherboard I would highly recommend a Ryzen 5 2600 with an X470 motherboard it's got 6 cores 12 threads it is overclockable (if in future you'd like to dabble in overclocking) essentially you're getting an i7-8700k for $135 less, thanks to AMD.

If you have already bought your motherboard (which I assume is a B360 or a Z370) then I would recommend going for the 8700 since you mentioned that you'd be 3D modelling which would benefit from having more cores with hyperthreading.

5 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if you multi task  -  Threads >speed.. if only gaming Speed > Threads 

As Skiiwee29 said: for multitasking Threads > Speed, for gaming Speed > Threads

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

16 hours ago, syn2112 said:

with a GTX 1070 there won't be much difference in FPS on both CPU's, you'll be likely limited by your GPU instead of CPU.
but both CPU's can achieve above 144 FPS if you lower your graphics settings for sure, it won't matter if 5ghz gets you 200 and the i7 8700 gets you 180 (FOR EXAMPLE), monitor is 144hz so anything above that is meaningless.

people should understand that if you have a GTX 1050TI and you get 50 FPS on an i3, it doesn't mean if you get an i7 youll get higher FPS, in that scenario the limit (bottleneck) is the GPU.

If you're running at 1080p and your goal is high refresh rate. The higher clocked i5 will achieve higher framerates. There's no objective proof but subjectively, higher framerates (even above the refresh rate) and lower frametimes are noticeable in certain games to some. I highly doubt that the 1070 will ever be the bottleneck at 1080p for a while

14 hours ago, Edwardk326 said:

If you haven't already purchased your CPU and motherboard I would highly recommend a Ryzen 5 2600 with an X470 motherboard it's got 6 cores 12 threads it is overclockable (if in future you'd like to dabble in overclocking) essentially you're getting an i7-8700k for $135 less, thanks to AMD.

r5 2600 is slower while overclocked than a 8700 at stock, putting the power bill up for "close to" the same performance while saving some money when initially buying it. Why do you recommend it?

3 hours ago, YaqinHasan said:
3 hours ago, YaqinHasan said:

I highly doubt that the 1070 will ever be the bottleneck at 1080p for a while

Even a 1080Ti is in some cases. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

20 hours ago, Alissa said:

Just pay a little more for a good board and a 8700k, call it a day and be pleased for the next 5-7years.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Not an option i don't how much money to splash, and may have to down scale my entire build.

Please keep in mind that i'm 13 would prefer to to dabble in the bios to overclock.