Iphone 7 stolen, what can I do

Heya guys,

So my phone was stolen at school maybe 3, 4 hours ago. Im wondering what I can do. The asshole that stole it turned it off, so im not able to track it in real time. I have it set on lost mode, but that won't do anything if they take out the SIM card and whatnot, esp since its off. What can I do apart from that if it doesn't turn up after school. Is there any way I can track the ieme or whatever number if I go to Verizon? 

Other than conducting a full school wide search, what can I do?
Thanks guys!

Firstly, tell the administrators/teachers. You can't really do anything if the phone is off and they move locations... you just have to wait patiently until something turns up. (or hire a private investigator to find them for ya.)

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

4 minutes ago, Jasun said:

Firstly, tell the administrators/teachers. You can't really do anything if the phone is off and they move locations... you just have to wait patiently until something turns up. (or hire a private investigator to find them for ya.)

Yep, told the admin.

Thats what I figured. I just hope that they dont take out the sim before they turn it on because I have lte. If it connects it'll show me where it is, but until then im screwed. 

PIs are so expensive though lol

14 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Heya guys,

So my phone was stolen at school maybe 3, 4 hours ago. Im wondering what I can do. The asshole that stole it turned it off, so im not able to track it in real time. I have it set on lost mode, but that won't do anything if they take out the SIM card and whatnot, esp since its off. What can I do apart from that if it doesn't turn up after school. Is there any way I can track the ieme or whatever number if I go to Verizon? 

Other than conducting a full school wide search, what can I do?
Thanks guys!

yes in lost mode you can not track it via sim if that is removed BUT you can put it in lock mode and as soon as it connects to any data network BAM!!! you will have a loc via IP and the phone will lock to were it cannot be used.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

1 minute ago, STRESSMASTER said:

yes in lost mode you can not track it via sim if that is removed BUT you can put it in lock mode and as soon as it connects to any data network BAM!!! you will have a loc via IP and the phone will lock to were it cannot be used.

Whats the difference between lost and lock mode? It only shows lost mode for me.

2 minutes ago, STRESSMASTER said:

+ I have a password so they cant connect to the internet anyways.

As long as you had iCloud reset locks on you are fine, the phone is practically a brick as there is no way to remove your account and they won't be able to factory reset it or anything without your details. So whoever it is will probably end up returning it. Also maybe think about contacting Police

Hello

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

+ I have a password so they cant connect to the internet anyways.

There are ways to reset the memory by taking it apart, contact your carrier, they can use your IMEI to make it a glorified IPod until you get it back.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

12 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

As long as you had iCloud reset locks on you are fine, the phone is practically a brick as there is no way to remove your account and they won't be able to factory reset it or anything without your details. So whoever it is will probably end up returning it. Also maybe think about contacting Police

Yeah, I know about iCloud lock. My dad forgot his password and I couldn't unlock his old phone lol. Hopefully they do... 

8 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

There are ways to reset the memory by taking it apart, contact your carrier, they can use your IMEI to make it a glorified IPod until you get it back.

I dont think that anyone at my school would have the skills or tools to reset the memory lol. Will Verizon be able to track the phones location using imei?

30 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Yeah, I know about iCloud lock. My dad forgot his password and I couldn't unlock his old phone lol. Hopefully they do... 

I dont think that anyone at my school would have the skills or tools to reset the memory lol. Will Verizon be able to track the phones location using imei?

Not necessarily but they do have there own local tracking tech, it isn't as accurate as GPS but it is still effective, plus they may be able to get the phone back to you if it is ever found, and with youtube available anything is possible.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

26 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Not necessarily but they do have there own local tracking tech, it isn't as accurate as GPS but it is still effective, plus they may be able to get the phone back to you if it is ever found, and with youtube available anything is possible.

I see... ima go right now and ask them. 

if its ever brought there are they allowed to confiscate it?

8 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

I see... ima go right now and ask them. 

if its ever brought there are they allowed to confiscate it?

Confiscate it? What do you mean? Are you asking whether the carrier will keep the stolen phone if it is brought to them?

9 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Confiscate it? What do you mean? Are you asking whether the carrier will keep the stolen phone if it is brought to them?

yup

Probably not, huh?
I heard that apple stores do, but im not too sure on that either.

4 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

yup

Probably not, huh?
I heard that apple stores do, but im not too sure on that either.

A close family member turned in one they bought off of craigslist, (I switched to buying off of Swappa after that) they kept it for a couple months, while waiting for the owner to appear. Carriers generally will do their best to return the phones to their owners if it is economically feasible, like if an owner has not reported their phone missing and it no longer has any personal info or a sim card they aren't going to spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars trying to find the owner of the phone.