Should I upgrade or start a fresh build?

Hello! So I have had my current rig for about 4 years now and it has served me spectacularly. Since obtaining it i have put good money into it, upgrading the processor, graphics card, power supply and storage capacity. However, i think i am at a bit of a crossroad now, as i am unsure if i should continue to pump money into it.

So the current specs are: Gigabyte Z97-HD3, an i7-4770k OC to 4.2GHz, GTX 1070, 16GB Ballistic Sport 1600mhz 8x2, a 600 watt PSU, 2 SSDs totalling 2.5TB and 3 HDDs totalling an additional 3.5TB. Even went as far as to shove a Noctua NH-U14S 140mm into the case even though it doesnt really fit and the case is bulging a bit...

Anyway, i was doing some research on Star Citizens current performance status, and recent information has started to show some improvements, however RAM is a big issue. After hearing about that, and seeing some performance tests done with 16GB and 32GB capacities, i found SC was using 12GB of my RAM, almost maxing me out. So i was considering getting another 8x2 kit but started wondering if i should even bother pumping another $100+ into this rig. See i have taken pride over the years that my rig can run ANYTHING.. and i do mean ANYTHING, and it makes me happy knowing that next year or whenever when a new awesome title is released, i can be right there, ready to rock and roll without having to worry about it being too far ahead of my machine.

Its a good rig, its served me very well over the years, but is it worth putting more money into? Should i just sell it and use the funds to build a new rig with DDR4 support and a more modern socket? Should i wait for the next generation of sockets or DDR5 to be released? Or is this rig worth the time and money for what we have today?

You could just add a pair of 4GB sticks instead, also overclock higher if needed

DDR5's expected to hit the consumer market in 2021, overclock further should help your system last that long in providing sufficient performance. In fact, I'm trying to pull this off with an older 2600k because as a student, I save up money slowly and couldn't afford to switch to DDR4 platforms.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, DeathsEye said:

Hello! So I have had my current rig for about 4 years now and it has served me spectacularly. Since obtaining it i have put good money into it, upgrading the processor, graphics card, power supply and storage capacity. However, i think i am at a bit of a crossroad now, as i am unsure if i should continue to pump money into it.

So the current specs are: Gigabyte Z97-HD3, an i7-4770k OC to 4.2GHz, 16GB Ballistic Sport 1600mhz 8x2, a 600 watt PSU, 2 SSDs totalling 2.5TB and 3 HDDs totalling an additional 3.5TB. Even went as far as to shove a Noctua NH-U14S 140mm into the case even though it doesnt really fit and the case is bulging a bit...

Anyway, i was doing some research on Star Citizens current performance status, and recent information has started to show some improvements, however RAM is a big issue. After hearing about that, and seeing some performance tests done with 16GB and 32GB capacities, i found SC was using 12GB of my RAM, almost maxing me out. So i was considering getting another 8x2 kit but started wondering if i should even bother pumping another $100+ into this rig. See i have taken pride over the years that my rig can run ANYTHING.. and i do mean ANYTHING, and it makes me happy knowing that next year or whenever when a new awesome title is released, i can be right there, ready to rock and roll without having to worry about it being too far ahead of my machine.

Its a good rig, its served me very well over the years, but is it worth putting more money into? Should i just sell it and use the funds to build a new rig with DDR4 support and a more modern socket? Should i wait for the next generation of sockets or DDR5 to be released? Or is this rig worth the time and money for what we have today?

Just toss in the extra ram. Maybe try used.

Honestly you could easily just spend the 100 bucks and still be good for awhile. That being said if you are like me and like building pcs then I would start from scratch other than the gpu. I have been contemplating doing the same mostly because I want a new case.

Alright, thank you all so much for your input on this matter, i really do appreciate it!
I have decided to purchase a used 8x2 kit for $105 from ebay which will arrive in just over a week. Hopefully the cost will be worth it and i'll be able to use the extra ram beyond SC too, but regardless thank you all very much for your thoughts and opinions! xD

9 minutes ago, DeathsEye said:

Alright, thank you all so much for your input on this matter, i really do appreciate it!
I have decided to purchase a used 8x2 kit for $105 from ebay which will arrive in just over a week. Hopefully the cost will be worth it and i'll be able to use the extra ram beyond SC too, but regardless thank you all very much for your thoughts and opinions! xD

Updating the RAM is your best option now. Since you are satisfied with everything else that is running, why fix something that isn't broken?

The only concern that I have is the case, you stated it's bulging a bit due to the new CPU cooler.

You may want to consider getting a new case that will accommodate the CPU cooler without the side case panel pushing too much stress on the cooler itself.

Aside from the case, keep everything as is and enjoy it while it lasts!

Buzzsaw - I'm Buzzsaw and you're not.

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard -- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF X299 MARK 2 (LGA 2066 R4) * 
Graphics -- SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz) -- 4096 MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series 
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device
Optical Drives -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST * Audio -- Realtek High Definition Audio

$100+ for a 16g kit of RAM? Try $200+, for real. Can you add another 4 x 2 kit? I'm really not sure. I'm also not sure who you would sell to if you wanted to, but at least a better cpu is recommended The other parts seem fine! 16g of RAM is fine for me, 600W PSU, GTX 1070. I'd be careful of that bulge from the cooler, though. If you can get a smaller one, do it. You don't want to strain th motherboard in one particular area.

CPU isn't really a big issue, though. If you can affordably upgrade the RAM, do it and wait for prices to drop before building a new system. Prices of RAM, GPU's, etc.

Yea the bulge was a bit of an issue at first, it sticks out about half an inch... have had it for about 3 months now and haven't noticed any negative effects though; the back of the motherboard has supports that keep the mb flat so maybe thats why as opposed to normal? This is honestly my first real build and most of the original parts (most of which are gone except the case and RAM) were recommended to me by a friend.
At the rate that hardware is proceeding though, im probably just gonna hunker down with the ram as my last real upgrade until the next-gen stuff comes along, and from there i'll probably sell this as a budget rig (which im sure it will be in another 3 or 4 years)

@BeepBoop.PC i tried getting a better processor, unfortunatly i cant find much better for the LGA1150 socket other then the 4790k... which i would have gotten but i couldnt find any good deals for one at the time of shopping over the course of 2 months, so i settled on a 4770k

Also just discovered that i wasnt in dual-channel memory mode... took a bit of fiddling with my bios settings to make the thing actually boot correctly (doesnt seem to like memory fast-boot... but overclocking the 1600mhz to 2200mhz is fine) but now thats a thing :D Again i really appreciate all the help and pointers, hopefully i can look back on this knowledge i gain on these forums when i go to make a rig 100% alone <3