Vote: Would you use ChromeOS as a Windows Replacement?

Vote:  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use ChromeOS as a Windows Replacement?

• Yes, in it's current state
    • Yes, but only if it got pc game support
    • Yes, but only if it got custom hardware AND pc game support
    • No, I like Windows 10
    • No, I like Linux/Mac
    • Unsure

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Jun 13, 2018 at 07:00 AM

Hello everyone, I have gone back and forth on this thought and wanted to know what the general consensus is...

So here it goes...

Currently Chrome OS Supports...

• Android Apps
  • Chrome Browser
  • Limited Hardware
  • Linux Programs(In Beta)

Would you use ChromeOS as a Windows Replacement?

In my opinion I would... if ChromeOS would add custom hardware support / iso download and pc game support. I would even pay for a license!

The Order of Operating systems as curated by me knowing what most people on this forum like:

Windows 10, macOS, Linux, literally anything else, ChromeOS

xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I voted Windows 10, but there is unfortunately no option for older Windows.

Just now, ZcanKal said:

I voted Windows 10, but there is unfortunately no option for older Windows.

That's intended as older windows are no longer supported on new hardware and hits EOL in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Carbongrip said:

That's intended as older windows are no longer supported on new hardware and hits EOL in 2020.

Well R.I.P. me, I'm running Windows 8.1

9 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Well R.I.P. me, I'm running Windows 8.1

why didnt you upgrade to 10 when you had the change?

btw i upgraded one of my friend's laptop from 8.1 to 10 and it didn't even ask for licence so you can still upgrade.

Just now, Technomancer__ said:

why didnt you upgrade to 10 when you had the change?

btw i upgraded one of my friend's laptop from 8.1 to 10 and it didn't even ask for licence so you can still upgrade.

I had the disk laying around after I had to wipe my drive, and this happened last year, way after the Windows 10 free upgrade.

1 hour ago, ZcanKal said:

I had the disk laying around after I had to wipe my drive, and this happened last year, way after the Windows 10 free upgrade.

the free ended this year

but i upgraded 2 windows 8.1 to 10 this year and it doesn't even ask for license. its still free

11 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

the free ended this year

but i upgraded 2 windows 8.1 to 10 this year and it doesn't even ask for license. its still free

Same for a Windows 7 pro key. Typed in the key and it worked fine.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

the free ended this year

What?  the free download thing ended in 2015 I thought?

I chose "No, I like Linux/Mac". But these should be 2 different options

"No, I like Linux"
"No, I like Mac"
or at least this option "No, I like Linux and hate Mac"

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

5 hours ago, ZcanKal said:

What?  the free download thing ended in 2015 I thought?

nope the free download ended in 2018 but if you download the image and choose upgrade to windows 10 it will work without needing a key. i upgraded 2 of my friends laptops without license it just worked.

I can't say I like Windows 10, but I haven't found another OS to replace it yet. It isn't MacOS. It isn't Linux. And there goes 99.9% of the desktop market. The first other OS that does linear mouse customisation as good as Windows without command line hacking will get my serious attention.

Alternatively... if ChromeOS (or other desktop OS) could be run off touchscreen (replacing mouse, keeping keyboard), that could get my attention again.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

53 minutes ago, porina said:

The first other OS that does linear mouse customisation as good as Windows without command line hacking will get my serious attention.

So 80% of linux distros have your attention? :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

17 hours ago, Carbongrip said:

Misinformation. Win 7 and 8 work just fine with new hardware (various mobo manufacturers are still making Win 7 drivers), and Windows 7 receives security updates until 2020 (still 2 years away), but Windows 8 receives them until 2023.

Even after security updates stop for Win 7, it will still run perfectly fine on new hardware.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, mate_mate91 said:

So 80% of linux distros have your attention? :D

Care to list some? The Ubuntu derived ones including Ubuntu itself, Mint... didn't satisfy. I did try some minor ones too but I can't even remember their name. So seriously, if there is a Linux distro that, out of the box, has a mouse option setting that allows me to make it linear and adjust the speed easily is something I want to try. I don't want to mess around hacking something or other setting configuration files to do that.

To be clear, I want a linear mouse, that is one where mouse position changes directly correlate to pointer changes regardless of the speed of mouse. Similar to Windows when you uncheck the "enhance pointer precision" check box. The two controls in Ubintu, I forget what they're called, don't do that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I use Windows & Ubuntu.

Honestly, I really don't want ChromeOS to be the face of the Linux desktop, IMO.  Call me a fanboy, but I really love Ubuntu (specifically Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Ubuntu Unity)

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Linux all the way. ChromeOS needs some tweak to be like linux(by that I meant unlocking bootloader and flash Linux distro on it) even though it is technically Linux itself under the hood.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

19 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I use Windows & Ubuntu.

Honestly, I really don't want ChromeOS to be the face of the Linux desktop, IMO.  Call me a fanboy, but I really love Ubuntu (specifically Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Ubuntu Unity)

I use ubuntu 18.04 on my gaming rig. I nuke windows off it after i finally finished Witcher 3. All my other games have full Linux support so I ditched windows no problem. My pc now hymns so happily without Spyware and Cortana on it. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I like ChromeOS for putting on older machines to breath new life into them but I can't get myself to use it for doing anything besides school work and writing quick and shitty code. 

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

I wouldn't replace my Desktop with one because im a gamer at heart, but having worked with our Unix teams - one of them has a Chromebook with the latest ChromeOS which is a very feature reach environment these days. Theyre awesome in that a hardware failure, theft or a catastrophic issue that results in a refresh isnt a problem, practically everything done on it just resyncs back. Using my mates one on the entire day it easily lasted the 8 hours at work. And its just such a clean interface. As far as a tablet OS, I would highly recommend it over Android. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I don't use even Chrome as a browser much less as OS

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)