does Overwatch work well with multiple core's?

Ashleyyyy

i currently have an i5-7400 and overwatch runs fine on it, but i'm building a system that is using old xeon's, so i want to know if it will run Overwatch fine

i will be using 2 Xeon X5650's. 

i will be using a GTX 1050, the same gpu i use now. 

She/Her

Worse than with your i5.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Worse than with your i5.

yeah i knew that, but will it bottleneck a gtx 1050?

She/Her

Overwatch at high refresh rates really needs 6 threads (that's what this game is optimized best for)

https://www.techspot.com/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page5.html

High single-threaded performance is necessary for high FPS while more cores and threads are necessary for stable FPS. The game also benefits TREMENDOUSLY from faster memory. Just the jump from DDR3 to DDR4 provides notable gains.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yeah i knew that, but will it bottleneck a gtx 1050?

It won't be a bottleneck but it will perform worse.

Both CPU and GPU contribute to the fps.

Not just the lowest common denominator.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Overwatch at high refresh rates really needs 6 threads (that's what this game is optimized best for)

https://www.techspot.com/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page5.html

High single-threaded performance is necessary for high FPS while more cores and threads are necessary for stable FPS. The game also benefits TREMENDOUSLY from faster memory. Just the jump from DDR3 to DDR4 provides notable gains.

my machine will have 24 threads... 

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It won't be a bottleneck but it will perform worse.

Both CPU and GPU contribute to the fps.

Not just the lowest common denominator.

oh okay, well i'm only playing at 1080p 60hz, and i don't mind turning the settings down a little.. as long as i can get 50/60 fps i'm happy. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

my machine will have 24 threads... 

oh okay, well i'm only playing at 1080p 60hz, and i don't mind turning the settings down a little.. as long as i can get 50/60 fps i'm happy. 

Yeah should definitely be able to get at least that.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah should definitely be able to get at least that.

ok, that's all i need.

She/Her

The game is fairly optimized for core count. I mean I run a r7 1700 at 3.7 on all cores and can get around 220ish fps in game at either high or ultra can't remember off hand. Does help that I have a 1080ti though. Sometimes higher sometimes lower depending on the density of players and whatnot. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

The game is fairly optimized for core count. I mean I run a r7 1700 at 3.7 on all cores and can get around 220ish fps in game at either high or ultra can't remember off hand. Does help that I have a 1080ti though. Sometimes higher sometimes lower depending on the density of players and whatnot. 

does the game use all of the cores though? if you go to task manager - performance - cpu and right click the big graph and go to change graph to - logical processors does it register activity on all of them while playing?

She/Her

23 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Almost any CPU can get a steady 60 FPS in Overwatch.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||