can i mix ram capacities in my server?

i've got 3x2GB pc3-10600R, can i mix that together with 6x4GB PC3-10600R? will that work?

and the ram i have has 9-11-B0 on the label and the other ram has 9-10-B0... what does that mean?

She/Her

Yes, as long as both brands of RAM are supported by the motherboard specs, than you can use different RAM in a Server, however all RAM will only work as fast speed as the slowest speed module in there.

And if you can't find the motherboard specs on supported RAM vendors, just pop them in and see if it boots, if it does, you're golden, if not, take them back out, it won't cause any Damage, it'll just give a Memory Error at boot if it's not functioning and won't allow the computer to continue post until the RAM is removed.

Desktop: CASE: NZXT H510 Elite CPU: Intel i9-9900K RAM: 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro GPU: 11GB EVGA FTW3 1080ti NVMe: 3x1TB  XPG Gammix S11 HDD: 1x8TB Barracuda PSU: HX1200 OS: Windows 10 Pro b19043
Laptop: CASE: Asus Zephyrus Duo CPU: Intel i7-10875H RAM: 32GB SSD: 2x Samsung 1TB NVMe RAID 0 OS: Pop_OS 20.04 LTS

Mobile: MODEL: Galaxy S21 Ultra  SSD: 128GB RAM: 12GB OS: Unlocked One UI 3.1 Android 11

Mobile: MODEL: Nubia Red Magic 5G SSD: 256GB RAM: 12GB OS: Rooted RM5S Android 11

1 minute ago, bANONYMOUS said:

Yes, as long as both brands of RAM are supported by the motherboard specs, than you can use different RAM in a Server, however all RAM will only work as fast speed as the slowest speed module in there.

And if you can't find the motherboard specs on supported RAM vendors, just pop them in and see if it boots, if it does, you're golden, if not, take them back out, it won't cause any Damage, it'll just give a Memory Error at boot if it's not functioning and won't allow the computer to continue post until the RAM is removed.

the memory i want to put in is the same brand as that is in there now. 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

the memory i want to put in is the same brand as that is in there now. 

will work fine. just remember that whatever RAM chip is the slowest one. That is the speed the mobo will max at.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

Yeah but even the same brands can be iffy, for instance in mine it supports a bunch of random 2GB Hynix modules but only two very specific 4GB modules. You gotta match the exact model numbers. But, like I said, you can mix and match any supported RAM, and there's two ways to find out, either look up the OE motherboard spec sheet, see if the model number is listed for what you have, or, just put them in and see if it works, there won't be any damage by running an unsupported memory type in the motherboard, if it doesn't work, it won't post fully, and you'll know it didn't work, so you can just take them back out.

It's honestly easier to just put them in and see if they work than it is to look through the entire supported memory sheet, there's hundreds of modules you gotta sort through to find your exact model and if it's not even there, you just wasted like an hour looking over the PDF

Desktop: CASE: NZXT H510 Elite CPU: Intel i9-9900K RAM: 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro GPU: 11GB EVGA FTW3 1080ti NVMe: 3x1TB  XPG Gammix S11 HDD: 1x8TB Barracuda PSU: HX1200 OS: Windows 10 Pro b19043
Laptop: CASE: Asus Zephyrus Duo CPU: Intel i7-10875H RAM: 32GB SSD: 2x Samsung 1TB NVMe RAID 0 OS: Pop_OS 20.04 LTS

Mobile: MODEL: Galaxy S21 Ultra  SSD: 128GB RAM: 12GB OS: Unlocked One UI 3.1 Android 11

Mobile: MODEL: Nubia Red Magic 5G SSD: 256GB RAM: 12GB OS: Rooted RM5S Android 11

They don't specify what modules are supported so the only way to know for sure is to just try putting them in and see if it boots.

Just make sure you put them in the right memory channels for the right CPU like it says on that page, you said you had 3x2gb now, which means there should be one 2gb module in Channel 1 DIMM 3, Channel 2 DIMM 6, and Channel 3 DIMM 9

So put the 4GB modules in Channel 1 DIMM 1 and 2, Channel 2 DIMM 4 and 5, Channel 3 DIMM 7 and 8

I'm also assuming you only have one CPU in there as well, otherwise you need to allocate the memory to the correct channels per CPU, but having 3x2GB doesn't really make sense for dual CPU which is why I'm assuming you only have a single CPU in there right now.

2 hours ago, bANONYMOUS said:

They don't specify what modules are supported so the only way to know for sure is to just try putting them in and see if it boots.

Just make sure you put them in the right memory channels for the right CPU like it says on that page, you said you had 3x2gb now, which means there should be one 2gb module in Channel 1 DIMM 3, Channel 2 DIMM 6, and Channel 3 DIMM 9

So put the 4GB modules in Channel 1 DIMM 1 and 2, Channel 2 DIMM 4 and 5, Channel 3 DIMM 7 and 8

I'm also assuming you only have one CPU in there as well, otherwise you need to allocate the memory to the correct channels per CPU, but having 3x2GB doesn't really make sense for dual CPU which is why I'm assuming you only have a single CPU in there right now.

i have 2 cpu's. i had 5x2GB but i needed to take that out because those are not registered dimms.. so i put the registered dimms i had back in... 

She/Her

@bANONYMOUS i'm getting new ram for it because i also got 2 Xeon X5650's for it. i want to use it as my main pc.. 

She/Her