odd liquid metal result

so i decided to apply liquid metal to both of my GPU's as well as my cpu, it spread and applied well to both of the GPU's but for the cpu I had to apply it on the heat sink side and then attach it to the cpu which was the opposite of the GPU in which it did not seem to want to spread on the heat sink. Both graphics cards had a massive temperature drop which is great! the cpu on the other hand went from an aida 64 test running in the 60-70max to now reaching thermal throttling, I am going to replace the cpu paste with normal stuff but I am curious why this failed?

You need to rub it until it sticks using the included swabs.

Image result for conductonaut

If it's thermal throttling you screwed up badly.

Try it applying it again.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Have you resealed the CPU? I don't really recommend doing that, if you did, maybe the IHS sits too much above the CPU die.

For the Cpu, youre meant to apply it om both sides. this is probably wht it failed.

20171109_170554.thumb.jpg.e874a54cc5abc9830c960317a39f899a.jpg

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

For the Cpu, youre meant to apply it om both sides. this is probably wht it failed.

20171109_170554.thumb.jpg.e874a54cc5abc9830c960317a39f899a.jpg

It's a CPU with a soldered IHS I am only applying it between the IHS and heat sink. Also that's good to know but I did it on a 6700k with just one side and it worked perfect so I guess its luck to, it has it on the ihs to and is perfect temps. also no I did not delid the CPU so no reseal, the 6700k I delided but did not reseal. I shall try again, It worked on a 6700k so it should work on a 6850k

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need to rub it until it sticks using the included swabs.

Image result for conductonaut

If it's thermal throttling you screwed up badly.

Try it applying it again.

I mean it's a 1% thermal throttle at a large overclock but like... it was way cooler before, I'll try again.

12 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I mean it's a 1% thermal throttle at a large overclock but like... it was way cooler before, I'll try again.

Clearly you have a hot spot where thr LM is not contacting the die. Just put it on the CPU side to make surr its done properly.  You got lucky once, but not point tempting fate.

59 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Clearly you have a hot spot where thr LM is not contacting the die. Just put it on the CPU side to make surr its done properly.  You got lucky once, but not point tempting fate.

You still missed the part where I said this CPU is not delided 

1 hour ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

You still missed the part where I said this CPU is not delided 

I see, my apologies, I thought you meant the IHS when talking about the heat sink. Which CPU cooler are you using?

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

I see, my apologies, I thought you meant the IHS when talking about the heat sink. Which CPU cooler are you using?

Before liquid metal I had good temps and now bad and I am water cooled so it's one of the ek blocks

31 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Before liquid metal I had good temps and now bad and I am water cooled so it's one of the ek blocks

So it's a custom loop with one of their copper blocks or one their aluminum sets?

If it's copper then probably something funny happened to LM while installing the block, you'd need to reapply and try again or better yet not try at all since on soldered CPU's with LC the benefit of LM is minimal against the unnecessary risk you are taking.

If it's one of their aluminum sets then, well, rekt. I hope it isn't ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

6 hours ago, For Science! said:

:ph34r:i didnt do that... still worked pretty good :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

So it's a custom loop with one of their copper blocks or one their aluminum sets?

If it's copper then probably something funny happened to LM while installing the block, you'd need to reapply and try again or better yet not try at all since on soldered CPU's with LC the benefit of LM is minimal against the unnecessary risk you are taking.

If it's one of their aluminum sets then, well, rekt. I hope it isn't ;-)

Heat sink is not aluminum it almost looks gold plated. Owell it worked good for the GPU so I'll just put the CPU back to something else