Do new motherboard still have speakers?

I was thinking about that whole government surveillance thing, and how you can use a speaker as a mic.. and i just completely dont even know if motherboards still have speakers usually.

Seems like an important part to keep

A lot of boards have mostly gotten rid of speakers in favour of small LED/LCD displays that show error codes as they're clearer and easier to understand than a series of beeps. 

That said, a lot still have a small speaker that will beep during boot loops and such. 

If you're worried about government surveillance to the point you're cautious of speakers in your motherboard being used as a mic, you shouldn't be on the internet or own a phone (or any electronic device, for that matter)

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you're worried about government surveillance to the point you're cautious of speakers in your motherboard being used as a mic, you shouldn't be on the internet or own a phone (or any electronic device, for that matter)

Faraday cage, no internet, tinfoil hat. Maybe an Infowars water filter for good measure.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Faraday cage, no internet, tinfoil hat. Maybe an Infowars water filter for good measure.

You fool, tinfoil is electrically conductive, the government will use it to steal your thoughts if you wear it on your head. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You fool, tinfoil is electrically conductive, the government will use it to steal your thoughts if you wear it on your head. 

Or they can use the tinfoil hat to play some rick astley

Im not worried about it, it just made me think of it. Lol

Just now, Kamjam21xx said:

lol i mean, for a guy with that many speakers in their profile pic, i'm sure the government spies could fine a better one than the PC speaker :P

anyway, they are pretty much obsolete now because LEDs and displays, as others have stated above.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

lol i mean, for a guy with that many speakers in their profile pic, i'm sure the government spies could fine a better one than the PC speaker :P

anyway, they are pretty much obsolete now because LEDs and displays, as others have stated above.

Thats a shame, i shall miss the beeps and boops.

3 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

It's just a bit of banter, my dude. If you really want to throw them off. Move to Linux for starters, and use VPN's. 

More than that, you can't really do. Obscurity is the best security, don't get a profile.

I'm glad the annoying beeps are gone. It was annoying as hell when you were trying to work in peace. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

1 minute ago, dionkoffie said:

I'm glad the annoying beeps are gone. It was annoying as hell when you were trying to work in peace. 

Easy fix?, remove the speaker. I do that to all my computers. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, aki adaki said:

Easy fix?, remove the speaker. I do that to all my computers. 

I always forgot to take them out when I was installing new computers. Some motherboards had the speaker soldered onto them. I just destroyed them with my screwdriver so they never bothered anyone ever again :) 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

3 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

I always forgot to take them out when I was installing new computers. Some motherboards had the speaker soldered onto them. I just destroyed them with my screwdriver so they never bothered anyone ever again :) 

Alternatively, you could just disable the post beeping in the bios of most boards (certainly most, if not all the ones I've used in the past 10 years+) without taking a screwdriver to your motherboard...

1 minute ago, IntMD said:

Alternatively, you could just disable the post beeping in the bios of most boards (certainly most, if not all the ones I've used in the past 10 years+) without taking a screwdriver to your motherboard...

ye I found out a little too late LOL

32 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The tin foil hat is okay as long as you hook a ground wire to it.  Must be earth ground though, no substitutes.

There are still the pins on mb, in or near the header with power and reset switches. Most speakers are piezo these days and these don't react to ambient sound, they can't be used as microphones.

There are smarter ways  someone with bad intentions could capture sound if they really wanted.

That means the companies would have to supply a decent speaker. Go ahead and try to use one as a two way. See what audio you get through it. Then consider what it has to go through after that to even capture anything. 

People drinking the koolade. 

You already have phones with mics and internet, so why are you worried about a speaker in a pc?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

8 hours ago, IntMD said:

Some dells come with a case speaker and motherboard speaker. You can disable beeps, but that's just to the case speaker and not the motherboard speaker 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Actually last of those things I got were from the case rather than the motherboard xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)