Moving up to 8600K or 8700K Is this motherboard enough?

So I have an AIO H80i v2 on my CPU and a GTX 1060 6gb. I think it's time to make the transition to a new generation and decided on 8th gen processor's. I'm a casual pc gamer at 1080p and want to update my current rig. I don't need many features like SLI but I want the capability to overclock if I want down the road. Will this motherboard be suitable for overclocking?

For the 8600K? Eh kinda, for the 8700K? Hell naw.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

9 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

What do you think I could push the 8600k to with this board? 

Don't listen to @NelizMastr, it's a pretty solid board for overclocking if you're on a lower budget.

As for speeds, it's foolish for anyone to make approximations; every chip is different. You might get an awesome overclocker, you might not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

So I have an AIO H80i v2 GTX 1060 6gb. I think it's time to make the transition to a new generation and decided on 8th gen processor's. I'm a casual pc gamer at 1080p and want to update my current rig. I don't need many features like SLI but I want the capability to overclock if I want down the road. Will this motherboard be suitable for overclocking?

Currently have one in my system with a 8600k @ 5.1Ghz no sweat!.

On a 120mm AIO and I need to upgrade that before I can go to 5.2 I know the chip can handle it but my cooling solution currently can't.

Motherboard doesn't seem to be the limiting factor in my equation!

CPU: 6400 @4.6Ghz/1.35v MOBO:GA-Z170M-D3H RAM: 8GB @2720Mhz Case: Corsair 88R GPU: MSI RX470 @1350/1720

35 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

If you're only gaming at 1080p 60hz just save some cash with the R5 2600 vs the i7?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RyFL29
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RyFL29/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $339.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-04 03:16 EDT-0400

R5 1600 takes the crown for overall value

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NVwy7h
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NVwy7h/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $249.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-04 03:17 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

15 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you're only gaming at 1080p 60hz just save some cash with the R5 2600 vs the i7?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RyFL29
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RyFL29/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $339.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-04 03:16 EDT-0400

R5 1600 takes the crown for overall value

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NVwy7h
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NVwy7h/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $249.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-04 03:17 EDT-0400

The obligatory Ryzen suggestion in Intel threads, gotta love LTT haha.

To the OP, that motherboard will be ample to overclock a 8600K/8700K. It has a 10 phase VRM, which should enable 5.0GHz overclocks for the majority of 8600K and 8700Ks as long as you have adequate cooling.

53 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You have no idea what you are talking about, seriously. I have my 8700K running at 5.0GHz on a lesser motherboard with worse VRMs.

1 minute ago, epsilon84 said:

Yeah just as fast in gaming but double the threads, it's such an odd suggestion hmm?

Just now, epsilon84 said:

To the OP, that motherboard will be ample to overclock a 8600K/8700K. It has a 10 phase VRM, which should enable 5.0GHz overclocks for the majority of 8600K and 8700Ks as long as you have adequate cooling.

Thank you. And I'm not forgetting about a ryzen build just thought I should stick with Intel due to Jay's two cents recent video. 

26 minutes ago, epsilon84 said:

You have no idea what you are talking about, seriously. I have my 8700K running at 5.0GHz on a lesser motherboard with worse VRMs.

>you have no idea what you're talking about.

>here is this n=1 example of it working

that's not how it works mate. You could have just had a lucky chip, or your vrm's are running high in temps and it'll take a while for them to degrade. All sorts of factors could still be at play. Don't call people stupid and then come up with this argument as a rebuttal.

25 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

Thank you. And I'm not forgetting about a ryzen build just thought I should stick with Intel due to Jay's two cents recent video. 

Don't listen to JayzTwoDunningKruger...

EDIT: just watched it, he's telling people Ryzen is the better deal, what video did you watch?
Only the IPC+Adobe comment is a little...ehhh

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Instead listen to some nobody's on a forum who probably just read from bad sources.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

5 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

You'll be perfectly fine on Ryzen and save money for the same core/thread count on the R5s

also the soldered IHS is nice, and on X470 you get StoreMI technology to speed up your hard drive with an SSD.

I would listen to this neckbeard sysadmin > jay :^)

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

>you have no idea what you're talking about.

>here is this n=1 example of it working

that's not how it works mate. You could have just had a lucky chip, or your vrm's are running high in temps and it'll take a while for them to degrade. All sorts of factors could still be at play. Don't call people stupid and then come up with this argument as a rebuttal.

It would also be more expensive for a ryzen switch. I have to get an am4 bracket for my AIO. which is also why I was going to stick with Intel. Not gonna lie the ryzen bundle I found is a deal. Just not convenient. 

Just now, Cruorzy said:

Instead listen to some nobody's on a forum who probably just read from bad sources.

No, to better reviewers. Specifically ones that don't sperg out on their audience when they point out mistakes. Jay bans everyone that disagrees with him, which is why he fucks up so much, noone corrects him. 

Level1Techs and Gamers Nexus are two examples.

I think I can take an opinion ftom all of you about the hardware and not argue who I listen and take advice from. I'm an adult just looking for some insight. I can make decisions. 

2 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

It would also be more expensive for a ryzen switch. I have to get an am4 bracket for my AIO. which is also why I was going to stick with Intel. Not gonna lie the ryzen bundle I found is a deal. Just not convenient. 

Your original post made it sound like you had a water cooled 1060

Either way if you only had a 120mm AIO it would be highly suggested you use a 240 AIO at minimum for overclocking coffee lake between the power output and the elmer's glue TIM/IHS

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Either way if you only had a 120mm AIO it would be highly suggested you use a 240 AIO at minimum for overclocking coffee lake between the power output and the elmer's glue TIM/IHS

You're right. My apologies. My 2500k has served me well at 4.8ghz. But it's time to move on... Going to edit my post now. 

2 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

You're right. My apologies. My 2500k has served me well at 4.8ghz. But it's time to move on... Going to edit my post now. 

In any event, I'd go for Ryzen for the reasons above, just a better overall purchase for the money.

If you had an i7 2600K you'd still be mostly fine for gaming thanks to those extra threads.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

I think I can take an opinion ftom all of you about the hardware and not argue who I listen and take advice from. I'm an adult just looking for some insight. I can make decisions. 

That's odd because I just watched Jay'z video and he's telling people that AMD Ryzen+ is a better deal. The only mistake he makes is saying Intel has better IPC, that's up for debate at the moment. So either we watched a different video or you kind of...mistook what he said.

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Lol, seriously?

My 8700K is air cooled with a Hyper 212. Temps stay below 70C for gaming.

To the OP, your choice whether you want to take overclocking advice from non CFL owners...

IMHO, a H80i is more than enough for a CFL CPU as long as you don't go crazy on the voltages.

If you are happy with 5.0GHz, you don't need a better cooler. If you are shooting for 5.1 - 5.2, then yeah, a better AIO might help, but you'll most likely have to delid the CPU as well

Just now, epsilon84 said:

My 8700K is air cooled with a Hyper 212. Temps stay below 70C for gaming.

I assume your CPU isn't under 100% usage during gaming?

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I've got it on a Hyper 212 Evo as well and it sits around the mid 50s or 60s in games like Doom or Overwatch (they both push good CPU usage across all 12 threads) with an all-core turbo of 4.7 GHz at 1.25v (basically manual MCE because I hate MCE voltages), but under full load it'll hit around 80-85 C during a render. So there ain't exactly any headroom beyond just setting all cores to your max single-core turbo, which is only a 400 MHz overclock from the standard all-core turbo.

This was the cooler I used when I still had my 1600X, and I just didn't feel like spending more money on a better one.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

39 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Of course not, no game can push a 8700K to 100% usage. BF1 probably hits it the hardest but even then temps are in the 60s, I can't give exact temps as I'm more interested in staying alive than looking at temp fluctuations lol.

Worst case temps have been handbrake encoding at 4.9GHz w/AVX offset with 1.36V which pushes temps into the low/mid 80s, a bit higher than I would like but still totally stable and there is no thermal throttling.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Don't listen to @NelizMastr, it's a pretty solid board for overclocking if you're on a lower budget.

As for speeds, it's foolish for anyone to make approximations; every chip is different. You might get an awesome overclocker, you might not.

The lack of a VRM heatsink is a little sus.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!