What is the world's best antivirus software ?

What is the world's best antivirus software available as of today I'm just tired of going online asking this question thru Google and getting mixed opinions I just need facts and there has to be the world's best at least I think so I'm not sure it seems like most places are getting paid to say this is better than that any response will be highly appreciated thank you in advance ?

Not sure. Windows Defender is included with the OS and is pretty good and is what I use. 

When I know I dun goofed, I use Malwarebytes to actively scan. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Abstinence?

Antivirus are almost pointless these days since they mainly protect you from security flaws that have been fixed if your OS/App is up to date. They do heuristics asap but it's not that effective.

It's better to practice safe surf. Maybe use some protection like ublock or no script when going to the red light district.

I use Microsoft defender/MSSE and the firewall, haven't had a virus in almost a decade. 

Oh and if you use anything but Windows defender it actually increases the size of the been the bad guys are aiming for. Since the anti virus needs to open holes in the OS to scan, other malicious software can exploit the same hole.

I have always used Norton and it's been super good to me but I have been having crashing and error when I open Norton it stays open for a very short time period and closes out on its own I called Norton support like 7 to 8 time they took remote control of my system 7 to 8 times and now they took all my event logs to analyze no feed back from them just yet it's been 2 days going on 3 and no response I need to have a antivirus that is properly working and that is 1 million times better than norton.

Many people claim that Windows defender and "common sense" is all you need. However, not everyone is going to be visiting the nicest of websites.

You do not need THE BEST ANTIVIRUS IN THE WORLD. 

The reason you are seeing unclear information is because most of the free and paid antivirus solutions out there perform relatively the same.

For normal, non sketchy website browsing. Windows defender should be fine.

For better protection, any one of these will be good:

https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

https://www.avg.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

Personally, I use Bitdefender.

Also, consider Malwarebytes as your occasional scanner.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I would also install an adblocker like uBlock Origin

I have uninstalled and reinstalled windows 3 times and followed all steps and the problem with Norton crashing keep happening.

Thank you guys for all your help and for trying to open my eyes I truly appreciate you all.

I personally like Eset NOD32. But then again, every antivirus functions similarly. So long as you aren't downloading or installing random crap from shady places online, you shouldn't get any virus/malware.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Damn I'm going to have to go with Kaspersky labs more than likely I'm not sure just yet.

The best antivirus is to simply unplug your ethernet cable or turn off your wifi.  Can't get any better than that.  Otherwise, go with the windows defender and use some common sense when visiting those off-the-wall websites.

19 minutes ago, Game_on said:

Damn I'm going to have to go with Kaspersky labs more than likely I'm not sure just yet.

Kaspersky is very good. I've been using it for 7+ years.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Protection starts at the source.

Spoiler

Image result for condom ethernet

Spoiler

Please don't take this seriously. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

MalwareBytes is for when you know you've been infected cause you've been clicking sketchy links, etc. On a daily basis, I just leave Windows Defender running and that's about it. As mentioned above, common sense and not clicking on things that you know are sketchy is always a good way to keep free of malware, etc. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

There's no one leader. There are bunch of top ones which will trade spots on top of the list. Some years its Kaspersky, sometimes Avast!, maybe AVG. I think last year Bitdefender was on top (one I have now as paid, not the best free option).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am a HUGE ESET Fan. Personally, I offer their products to customers that walk into my shop for virus issues. It's light and does the job. AVG is ok if you go paid, but if you do go free, Windows Defender ( Integrated with Win 10 ) does the trick just as well as any other free AV IMO.