i7 8700k vs ryzen 7 2700x for gaming

1 minute ago, RishiB19876 said:

Simply the title :D i7 8700k vs Ryzen 7 2700x

Depends on what else you're doing, but 8 cores is always more fun than 6 cores, and the soldered IHS is nice.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

theyre so evenly balanced i don't even know I do video editing sometimes so im guessing that the ryzen 7 might benefit me more in the long run but i think ill wait for more responses

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Depends on what else you're doing, but 8 cores is always more fun than 6 cores, and the soldered IHS is nice.

Remember when people said cores mattered more than performance back in the FX days? AMD remembers.

For gaming 8700k

If anyone asks you never saw me.

you should pick the i7 8700k and no the Ryzen 7 2700x will not benefit you in the long run.

@App4that I'm sure when you have your awesome 144hz monitor running at under 100fps you'll be laughing of joy that you have a soldered CPU instead indeed :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

AHHHH the torture theyre so evenly balanced i don't even know I do video editing sometimes so im guessing that the ryzen 7 might benefit me more in the long run but i think ill wait for more responses

Another thing i forgot to mention I already have a 8700k so i might stick with that

My computer does double duties as a server and gaming, if it were pure gaming I'd have probably stuck with Intel. If only a multi billion dollar company would stop being cheap asses with the TIM.

Just now, RishiB19876 said:

Another thing i forgot to mention I already have a 8700k so i might stick with that

If you already own the i7 8700k why did you even do this thread in the first place? LTT these days... facepalm.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Then this thread was a waste of time.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

you should pick the i7 8700k and no the Ryzen 7 2700x will not benefit you in the long run.

@App4that I'm sure when you have your awesome 144hz monitor running at under 100fps you'll be laughing of joy that you have a soldered CPU instead indeed :P

Yeah, why would I want to have my 1080ti running at 100% utilization? Runs way cooler at 80% utilization. Who needs fps anyway the human eye can't see past 30fps anyway bahahahahahahahaha

Cause i can still return it and my friends are telling me to switch while I have the time but im unsure about the performance boost and if its worth it to go and buy a new motherboard 

Cause i can still return it and my friends are telling me to switch while I have the time but im unsure about the performance boost and if its worth it to go and buy a new motherboard 

The 8700k is faster than the 2700X. At best it could be considered a side grade, for gaming a downgrade. 

Stick with what you have.

but im unsure about the performance boost

There is no performance boost in gaming specifically, you'd be actually downgrading your CPU for the purpose of gaming.

Personal Desktop":

13 minutes ago, RishiB19876 said:

Your only real upgrade is to X299 or X399 and you don't need those for just gaming

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

27 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If only a multi billion dollar company would stop being cheap asses with the TIM.

I feel like I need to dig up the topic about this but anyway:

• The TIM Intel uses (Dow Corning TC-1996) isn't exactly cheap. While I'm sure they get a bulk discount, you can buy lead-free solder for cheaper than a thing of the TIM in terms of cost per unit mass.
  • Stuff in this article: https://medium.com/@OpenSeason/soldered-cpu-vs-cheap-paste-59fb96a4fca7, but to sum up
    • Intel moved to thermal paste for structural reasons. There are concentrated areas on the die that heat up more than others. This leads to uneven heating which if the die were soldered, would lead to thermal fatigue and the creation of cracks. AMD still uses solder because Zen dies have hot spots that are evenly spread out.
    • Initial reports of delidding processors, replacing the TIM, and seeing much improved results can be traced to the smaller gap between the heat spreader and die due to scraping off the heat spreader glue during the delidding process. Distance is a huge factor in heat transfer through a TIM.
    • Higher thermal conductivity doesn't always mean better performance. At some point performance flatlines regardless of how conductive the TIM is.

Intel because you can actually overclock nicely and have a decent boost while AMD their boost is working as good as if you overclock by urself. get a nice motherboard like Taichi or Crosshair and will fly.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I feel like I need to dig up the topic about this but anyway:

• The TIM Intel uses (Dow Corning TC-1996) isn't exactly cheap. While I'm sure they get a bulk discount, you can buy lead-free solder for cheaper than a thing of the TIM in terms of cost per unit mass.
  • Stuff in this article: https://medium.com/@OpenSeason/soldered-cpu-vs-cheap-paste-59fb96a4fca7, but to sum up
    • Intel moved to thermal paste for structural reasons. There are concentrated areas on the die that heat up more than others. This leads to uneven heating which if the die were soldered, would lead to thermal fatigue and the creation of cracks. AMD still uses solder because Zen dies have hot spots that are evenly spread out.
    • Initial reports of delidding processors, replacing the TIM, and seeing much improved results can be traced to the smaller gap between the heat spreader and die due to scraping off the heat spreader glue during the delidding process. Distance is a huge factor in heat transfer through a TIM.
    • Higher thermal conductivity doesn't always mean better performance. At some point performance flatlines regardless of how conductive the TIM is.

No its about money, pretty sure. You have to make a gold plating on IHS and DIE to solder with indium, its not about the costs of the solder itself.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Gaming no questions asked 8700k

2700x is close to stick 8700k and that's because of xfr2 pushin 4.2ghz

and that's ryzen pretty much tapped out where as a 8700k running at stock all core 4.3 is laughable, 99 percent hit 4.9 ghz and 87 hit 5ghz.

then you oc your cache 4.7ghz

then you have the better memory support 3600 no sweat 

once you start ocing the 8700k it's just in a different league 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 minute ago, DarkSmith2 said:

No its about money, pretty sure. You have to make a gold plating on IHS and DIE to solder with indium, its not about the solder costs itself.

Which I still don't believe it was solely to save costs because again of the structural issue presented in the Medium blog post.

AMD hasn't had this problem because they design their dies such that the hot spots are spread out evenly.

i7-8700K :)

If you are only gaming, there is no reason to go Ryzen.

Since you already own the i7-8700K, just enjoy it.

You should be spending your brain power on delidding and what 240MM or 360mm AIO you want to strap to it for that magical 5ghz+ OC ;)

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard